Taco Front Bumper - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Taco Front Bumper

Well I want to sell the ARB, and I have a buyer lined up, but the more I think about what I'm going to be replacing it with. The more I shy away from selling it.

I've looked around at different bumper designs, and I personally do not have the fab skills myself to build something that would be aesthetically pleasing enough to meet my standards. Where as, I also do not have pockets deep enough to fork out the $$$$ for an Armology or something similar to it.

I've played around with a few different designs/ideas in a 3d program I have, and while they all look decent in a program, not too sure how they'd look on a truck in person.

I want to go with a plate style bumper, but I do not have the tools, or the knowledge to even go about starting a plate bumper. Heres a couple different ideas i brewed up (none are plate currently, but just some things i had saved on the comp that i changed up a little).

"Evil-eye" tube bumper:

Very basic square tube (obviously, reality would bring more bracing, and such)

Another design I like a lot, is the bent up, however I don't have the need/want for a winch so I would go custom with it and make it a more 'shallow' bumper that didn't stick out as far without a winch plate behind it. I want to keep the bumper tucked up as high, and as close to the truck as possible for better approach, and leave the area in front of each tire more open.

So what it boils down to, I'm looking for some opinions from those of you who have fabbed your own bumpers as to what i should look into, and if i could get some help from one of you to do this. If i cant come up with a good idea in the next few days, I'll have to hold off on the ARB for now. So that's what is kind of pushing me through it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

The thing about round is you need a bender and the right dies ... plate or rectangular, the tools are a lot easier/cheaper.

If you wanted to contribute some funds to wire, gas, and a chop saw, I would love to help you out with it.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
The carrot has been dangled I like the idea of us trying to do it with ya!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Kyle, (ksp1043 i think is his username?) offered up his bender for me to use in the making of a front bumper. He only has 1.75" die, but i had planned on doing some sort of bar across the top of the bumper (kind of similar to the arb). And i also need to do bedside protection, so it would be worth the drive to Castle Rock for me to have him help me with the finishing touches (tube work).

I'd be happy to help contribute, Troy. The biggest thing is the budget. I really want to try to keep the materials around/under $200. If i can, i can swing a new clutch for my truck with the rest of the money out of my arb. If not, its not going to be a huge ordeal, but its my goal for the project.

Do you think its something we could knock out in a day, or would you rather do a weekend, or a day here, day there, type ordeal?

Really want some input from both Isaac and Ike on this subject, as they've both done 'plate' bumpers that turned out really well. Ike's had a square tube base, but from what i remember, Isaac's was 100% plate.
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

I think doing it in a day would be pushing it - especially with how anal you are about how stuff looks!

Probably first day would be figure out the mounting, get everything cut, mocked in and tacked. Next day would be finish weld and grind.

Let me know several days in advance and I'll try to borrow the plasma cutter.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

$200 is really freakin' pushing it... but I know you get good deals on steel...so maybe you can do it. 100% plate wouldn't be do bad to fab up, however tubing will be a lot lighter for the same strength. If it was me building a front bumper (and I will be soon) I would probably do a design similar to your 2nd rendering, but with more corners than curves, because that's a mother fucker to do, unless you like grinding...as you know.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thats very reasonable, and understandable, Troy.

It doesn't have to be done in 1 day by any means, was just curious as to what plan of attack you would like to take.

So would you prefer setting aside a whole weekend (sat/sun) or do back to back weekends (one of the days, two weekends in a row) ? Whichever will work better for you. I still need to price steel and what not, which is another thing i should of put in my first post.

What would be best? The bumper will get used pretty hard I'm sure, but i want to try to keep it a little bit lighter than the ARB is. I was thinking a mix of 2x3 .188 wall, 2x2 .188 wall, 2x2 .120 wall, then some moderately thick plate steel (not sure on thickness for this one). Would it be too much to go with these thicknesses?

Thinking of the .188 wall for the main cross bar/wrap around, and the supports/new cross member in the frame.
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
$200 is really freakin' pushing it... but I know you get good deals on steel...so maybe you can do it. 100% plate wouldn't be do bad to fab up, however tubing will be a lot lighter for the same strength. If it was me building a front bumper (and I will be soon) I would probably do a design similar to your 2nd rendering, but with more corners than curves, because that's a mother fucker to do, unless you like grinding...as you know.
hah, yea.... my rear bumper It was worth every bit of the work though, with the finished product.

It was a rendering, and it was just easier to make it slightly curve than block it out like it would be in reality. I wouldnt be looking for a nice smooth rounded finish like that, but not something excessively blocky/pointy either.

Completely understand what you're saying with that though.

Good deals on steel is a huge plus, my moms good for quite a few things apparently
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 PM
ike
Veteran Member

About what thikness i used on mine, and mine is actually very light. I can easily manage it. It hasn't been on a scale, but my guess would be only about 50 lbs.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

Well, the ARB is ALL plate, no tube and either .120 or .188 ... not quite sure how you're gonna get away with much less material if you're using tubing ... I would do .120" for everything except the mounts, where I would be thinking .25"

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Taco_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Taco_Man

Been wanting to build one for my 07 for some time now. I also don't have the cash to have a shop do it. Let me know hit it works out since I plan on building a plate bumper sometime in the next year. (It sucks not having any fabrication skills)

Mike
2007 Tacoma v6 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD D-Cab
Donahoe Coilovers, All-Pro 3" Rear Lift w/Walker Evens, Demello Sliders, Locker Mod , 4 Rock Lights

To-Do
All-pro Plate Bumper, Custom Rear Plate Bumper, Custom Tire Rack ( must use bed rails ), Mount CO2, Repair Rock Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
If you use them for lift, and wheel hard, you will crap steering parts like your truck ate a tierod/idler arm combo burrito at Casa Bonita.
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 AM

I might have a chop saw you guys can use if you all help me with my bumper

The only problem is I would have to pick it up by Glenwood Springs

05 Taco
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
ike
Veteran Member

Wish i would have had one when i build my bumper.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Troy said he had a chop saw.

So, Troy. You're saying i should use .25 for the mounting (new front x-member, and the main legs of the bumper)?

I plan to do something like Ike did. Build the base out of square tube, then plate over that to have a more "finished" look to it.
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 12:35 PM
ike
Veteran Member

I did my front crossmember out of 10 gauge. slightly thicker than the frame. Just didnt feel comfortable making the bumper mounting that much stronger than the frame. Mine wraps around all 4 sides and the front of the frame horns then. I think it is plent strong, but i wont know for sure until it gets used.

Also all of my material cost about 100 bucks, so you should be able to make your budget as long as you plan ahead. I made the cross member, then bought what was needed for the frame of the bumper, and then for the finish pieces. Mine didnt turn out as good as i want it to be, but i am only out alittle cash, and learned a ton for the next build.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #16 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Man View Post
(It sucks not having any fabrication skills)
Nate seems to do just fine with no skills

Just kidding.

Should be a cool project. Looking forward to the pics.
post #17 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM
ike
Veteran Member

They just come with practice. Become freinds with someone with a welder, buy some metal, cut off wheels, grinding wheels. Throw the person some beer and cash for welding supplies and start learning.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #18 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

I was thinking of the rear, where you are bolting to the side of the frame ... yeah, with the crossmember stuff in the front, you don't need to be that heavy.

I would HIGHLY recommend you have a hitch receiver in the front.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #19 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
ike
Veteran Member

I wish i would have planned better for one. If i were to do it again i would make my cross member out of 2x4 instead of 2x3. Then i would cut a hitch reciever into it in the center. Will make makeing the sleves a little more difficult, but you will have a solid easy way to mount the reciever. I would also but a decent size scab plate on both sides of where the hitch reciever gets cut in. Puts it low where it stresses the frame the least. Downside is it cuts into aproach angle, but not by much and only a 2 inch wide section in the very middle of the bumper.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #20 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post

I would HIGHLY recommend you have a hitch receiver in the front.
Nate put a recovery hitch in the front?

Wouldn't that mean that nate would have to admit that he actually gets stuck?

Might not be so good for his "mr walks it all" reputation.
post #21 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 04:30 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Um........... You need to come on some runs man. This year so far i think Nate has been stuck more than anyone else.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #22 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Actually, its more like "damn I wish I could install a winch, but I don't want to make another f'n bumper"!

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #23 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
And the original Mr. Walks it all is still Jade. That guys still never gets stuck! (Sorry Nate)

When you do your planning nate make sure you have Ike there to tell us what not to do!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #24 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I hadn't planned on a hitch, but weld on d-ring tabs like what i did with the rear. Ive had recovery points in the front, this whole time! haha I just dont understand, why specifically a hitch?

Ike, I get stuck often because I always seem to end up trying the stupid shit, that you often get stuck on

It happens to the best of us lol

Some bad news today, however. Not sure if this will go through. My steel connection is being gay at the moment. Wont let any scrap go, and wont sell any steel at cost. But i'm going to work on it again tomorrow and see what happens.

I was thinking, 15ft of 2x3 .188 wall, 15ft of 2x2 .120 wall, would be enough to do the bumper. Thoughts?
post #25 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 PM
In Rememberance

Do an "R" hitch anyway (if this all goes ok) Because you never know when you will need to borrow our mountable winch YO!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #26 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
I hadn't planned on a hitch, but weld on d-ring tabs like what i did with the rear. Ive had recovery points in the front, this whole time! haha I just dont understand, why specifically a hitch?

Ike, I get stuck often because I always seem to end up trying the stupid shit, that you often get stuck on

It happens to the best of us lol

Some bad news today, however. Not sure if this will go through. My steel connection is being gay at the moment. Wont let any scrap go, and wont sell any steel at cost. But i'm going to work on it again tomorrow and see what happens.

I was thinking, 15ft of 2x3 .188 wall, 15ft of 2x2 .120 wall, would be enough to do the bumper. Thoughts?

Totally just teasing there. All in good fun.
post #27 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
I just dont understand, why specifically a hitch?
Because

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Actually, its more like "damn I wish I could install a winch, but I don't want to make another f'n bumper"!

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #28 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 09:40 PM
ike
Veteran Member

His current bumper would take a hitch.

Nate, I know that is why you have been stuck for the most part.

The d rings work, but you will really want to think about having thicker metal where you place them as well as how far from the frame rails they are placed. The further away they are the more leverage, both up and down and side to side they will have. Doesnt seem like alot, but mulitplied with a 2 ft lever arm, and a light tug becomes a huge force.

Molly, why me, i have very little experience with fab. though my bumper didnt turn out perfect it is completely functional. so i guess i can give some pointers.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #29 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I know Isaac, i was just going along with it

Ike, i understand that. Which is why my rear d-rings are mounted directly at the end of each frame rail It would be very similar with the front.

Troy, i understand where you're coming from too. But i really dont have any short term future plans to buy a winch. It would be nice to have, eventually but not too sure when.

I should have final pricing on steel, tomorrow. If it's within budget then i'll start with the drawing board and see what i can work out. Id like to keep it tucked up close to the frame so it doesnt kill the approach.

If this bumper doesnt go through, then i want to re-work the mounting for the ARB with something more solid, and do some side bracing, and some trimming for a better approach.

The other point that got brought up (which i know i'll catch shit for), is i still have a car that i keep spacing out, and it still needs parts to get running.
post #30 of 108 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Car would likely be the smart move for your money. if you need to borrow my old bumper for a while that can be arranged. It is in shitty shape, but it is something.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode