Building a Bumper - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Building a Bumper

I have been thinking about making a bumper for myself for quite some time now and i was wondering where i should get my steel and approximately how much it is going to cost. I want it to be a geometric look kinda like an ARB bumper or similar to the ones armorology builds here in town. I would take it to them but i dont have the money for that so i am going to weld it up myself. I have all the tools to weld, cut and bend i just wanted to know the overall cost it would to be to make a bumper like this.

I am open to any suggestions on the design of the bumper, if anyone has any good ideas??? Any pictures???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hey whats up man! Welcome!

I would get the steel from glasser if you live down near 30th. Or from perkys if you live on the north side. Glasser is slightly cheaper, but only if you live close, otherwise gas cost eats up the savings.

You have a break to bend sheet steel? and or a tube bender?

As far as plate bumpers go. You will need some sort of jig and will need to weld it carefully and jump all over the place with your welds. The sheet steel will warp badly if not placed in a tight jig.

Not sure on the cost, but i know it would be cheaper to by an entire sheet of steel. When are you thinking about doing this? I want to build a bumper one of these days. Perhaps we could go in on a sheet.

We should get together some time.

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Check with Ike (maybe the bum will post here).. he built his bumper that fits that description last winter. Maybe yours will turn out better looking than his tho

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Ike's still holds up great though!

Better than my all-poo, thats for damn sure. Then again, he didn't play "chicken" with a 1ft diameter, 30ft tall tree either
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

yup..
Functional? check!
pretty? haha.. hell no

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

I know this link is for a Trooper front bumper build. Yes, we gave him a bunch of shit for building it out of cardboard first and even bolting the cardboard bumper on. But it did turn out very nice! Having it "built" out of cardboard allowed him to trace each piece onto 1/4" plate. He cut all the 1/4" plate with a 4.5" hand grinder with a cut off wheel. He build it with hand tools and a welder. It's alot of work but very rewarding in the end.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=966

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Yeah it needs more troyangulation
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member

Dang he needs to paint that Trooper yellow and add a fold out stop sign to the side. I don't think I have ever seen a 1st gen Trooper SASed. Good work on that bumper though.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

I've built a number of bumpers.

Depending on what thickness you use, and if you use tube (and what type of tube), you are probably looking a 1-200 bucks in steel. Add in another 50 for hardware (probably will be less, but its good to over budget). Lastly, add up consumables. If you don't have a large press, or serious heating equipment, you'll likely be doing a lot of cutting to make the bends (assuming an ARB style). That much cutting will necessitate lots of welding, and, if you want it to look good, lots of grinding. Cutting disks, flap wheels, grinding wheels, welding gas, welding wire, etc... all cost money.

My rear bumper cost 200 in steel, plus 200 in hardware/consumables, plus a 100 for powdercoat.

My front bumper cost 100 in steel, 25 in DOM, and 50-75 in consumables/hardware.

My sliders were 100 in steel, 75 in DOM and about 25-30 in hardware/consumables.

Lastly, be prepared for it to cost more than you think. I've NEVER had a project come in on budget.

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
I know this link is for a Trooper front bumper build. Yes, we gave him a bunch of shit for building it out of cardboard first and even bolting the cardboard bumper on. But it did turn out very nice! Having it "built" out of cardboard allowed him to trace each piece onto 1/4" plate. He cut all the 1/4" plate with a 4.5" hand grinder with a cut off wheel. He build it with hand tools and a welder. It's alot of work but very rewarding in the end.

http://www.rockfrogs.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=966
WOW! That is a nice build! Lucky guy to get all that scrap. He has more patience than I, and it shows in the build quality.

Good lookin trooper too. Lovin those tires, is he still running them? Did he like them much? I've read such mixed reviews. They are either LOVED by the owners, or HATED. Not much in between.

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
WOW! That is a nice build! Lucky guy to get all that scrap. He has more patience than I, and it shows in the build quality.

Good lookin trooper too. Lovin those tires, is he still running them? Did he like them much? I've read such mixed reviews. They are either LOVED by the owners, or HATED. Not much in between.
Yup, that bumper took him some time to build! I think he liked them. My dad has a set of 37's for his Scrambler that he is building. He hasn't gotten a chance to run them yet. Another guy in the RockFrogs had them and liked them as well. He's now on KM2's and likes them more.

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Yeah it needs more troyangulation
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
Ike's still holds up great though!

Better than my all-poo, thats for damn sure. Then again, he didn't play "chicken" with a 1ft diameter, 30ft tall tree either
x2 My Allpro is pathetic. I need to brace the shit out of it...

2007 Toyota Super Taco
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 PM
ike
Veteran Member

I only spent about 100 total on my first bumper. it was ugly but it worked.

I am currently doing my second one though, will cost a bit more in materials, but i think it will turn out looking and functioning alot better.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member

The only reason it is ugly is because you didn't grind the welds smooth - would have looked good with a bit more work IMHO

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
ike
Veteran Member

the reason the welds were not ground smoth was i cheaped out and got fairly thin sheet. I also didnt have the paitence to wait and get sheets bigger than they had at the place i went to for sheet so i didnt get the coverage i really needed to look good.

either way the toyota frame caps finally failed so everything is off the truck being replaced with something that has real recovery points and doesnt stick out so far.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
the toyota frame caps finally failed
Ooo...yeah.....bad mount point. I found that out the hard way. Although they break pretty quick with the leverage of a stinger on them.

1980 Toyota Pickup: CB antenna, custom 2-tone paint, duct tape mod, weight reduction, 29" meats. sway bar and torque bar removed for MAD FLEX.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

oh ya ike, thanks for your help. glad i could deform the bumper.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:27 PM
ike
Veteran Member

no problem, happy to do it anytime.

got the crossmember all drilled and welded up. tomorrow i the frame and burn it in.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

good shit. hopefully you actually like this one enough to grind down the welds. and make it level this time.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 03:16 AM
ike
Veteran Member

It will be.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode