Got Sliders, Now what? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Got Sliders, Now what?

SO, I've had my sliders for a few weeks now and I'm looking to "HOW" for welding them on. They came with some really questionable "Self tapping" screws to attatch them to the frame. They look like standard lag bolts to me.

Right now they sit in my garage waiting. They are bare metal and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about prepping and putting some paint on them before the weld up?

I already know not to paint around where the welding is happening. Not even overspray would be acceptable. So, I'll be taping that area off.

So my plan
right now is to wire weel any surface rust that I can find on them. Sand with some 150-200 grit sand paper. Wipe the whole thing down with some alcohol - (maybe a cheap scotch, lol). Then I was going to use some Rustoleum primer - 1 or 2 coats. And follow that up with some Rustoleum flat black. I'm then going to get some traction tape from a local scateboard shop, cut and stick that to the top bars of the sliders.

What do you guys think? I'm trying to do the right thing for the truck and the metal that is to be welded to the truck. I also don't want to spend a few hundred dollars to have them dipped or coated in some exotic substance. If I never use my sliders(which would be a shame), I'd like them to still look nice and not start rusting out in a year or so. Understandably, when I do finally use my sliders I'll be scraping off all of this work in one foul swoop. I just want to have a good base to start with.

Tom
I felt like yesterday.
I feel like today.
TomorrowI'll be !

-1999 Sr5 ext. cab. 2.7L, 3" susp. lift, 2" body lift, 31" Yokos. New motor 8/09.
-1983 Custom Cab restoration project. Finally got one after searching for 6-7 years! 3/10
-1983 Short Bed "Old Yeller". 22r, 31" tires, suspect 3" lift, purchased 11/09, 196,000 miles. LOTS of fun to drive!
-1990 Heep YJ plow vehicle.
-1995 Suzuki Swift. 45MPG!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:15 AM

Sounds like you have a good procedure, there. I like the decktape idea.

I'd suggest you wait until you have them welded to the frame, however, before you paint. You're going to end up spraying the exposed frame and welds at that point anyway.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
And Troy and I touch up his sliders about every 6 months with just a simple flat black spray can.

We can have you over for a HOW weekend, but you need to connect with troy (redrunnertc) about when would be good and if we need to get some 3/8 plate for frame plating, etc.

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

She means 3/16", but otherwise, yeah - let me know what works for you and we'll get em on.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

3/8" plating welcome to overkill fab!

You got the right idea, nothing wrong with it, a little overkill in my mind, but...

you can just rub them down with some lacquer thinner, hit them with some primer (a coat or 2), then spray them down with good ol rattle can of choice.

I wouldn't be as concerned with taping off the legs for welding, you can always hit them with a flap wheel to clean them up when it's time to weld. Then spray over the welds/mounts post welding.

As for touch-up after you use them.. I just use a scrap of cardboard to shield the cab... which reminds me.. I need to spend some time with a grinder and spray paint to 'winterize' my truck soon.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:19 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Yeah Troy and I have a hot date with his lighting on Ron this weekend. Installation time baby.

And yeah I'm kinda sick still. I can't think straight. It sucks!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
And yeah I'm kinda sick still. I can't think straight. It sucks!
If that's how we can tell you're sick, then this has illness been going on for, what, 4 years now?

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:13 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 PM
In Rememberance

Oh Shuttup guys...I'm going downhill pretty bad now.. gonna go try and read and sleep

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

you guys funny.

The sliders came with plates already welded in place. From what I remember talking to troy, I just need to grind off the paint on the frame when I come down there and we'll be ready to go! I suppose the body lift might help too by allowing a little more room to work?

I'm not working weekends until mid Nov. so I can come down this weekend if it would be convienient for you guys. Oh, wait a minute! I 'm supposed to get totally hammered Friday night. I'm having a belated B-day party/drink my alcohol party. So, I might be a little under the weather Saturday . Which day are you guys working on Ron?

Tom
I felt like yesterday.
I feel like today.
TomorrowI'll be !

-1999 Sr5 ext. cab. 2.7L, 3" susp. lift, 2" body lift, 31" Yokos. New motor 8/09.
-1983 Custom Cab restoration project. Finally got one after searching for 6-7 years! 3/10
-1983 Short Bed "Old Yeller". 22r, 31" tires, suspect 3" lift, purchased 11/09, 196,000 miles. LOTS of fun to drive!
-1990 Heep YJ plow vehicle.
-1995 Suzuki Swift. 45MPG!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 10:14 AM
In Rememberance

We are working on Ron on Saturday. You could come down sunday. Or if you want sat night. OR... come run moody and crystal on the 31st and we do sliders on Nov 1st sunday. (You can do that trail without sliders, just pick yer lines and I'll help spot)

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode