Swing-out Tire Carrier - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Swing-out Tire Carrier

So, I already have one, but it's a bit of a POS. It's a pair of square bars stacked on top of one another. Whoever built it didn't use a hinge of any sort - he just put a large bolt through the two pieces. The only nice thing I can say about it is that the frame attachment looks bomber.

So, I want to build a new one. Dream-build? Something like this. I don't need some of the fancy stuff, but the general idea looks good.

The question is, where do I begin? I haven't welded in about five years! Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:32 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Damn, FatMouse did a sweet Job of designing and putting that together. Nrmally I would say not cool to rip of a design and do it yourself from a vendor, however, He is in the UK, and fully posted his design work up, and he knows fiull well the shipping to the states would not work. Maybe PM him first and ask permission to soft of Copy his idea.

A HOW (House of Wrenching) is what you need to built that. Doesn't seem like you need a tube bender with his design just a welder, which Troy and I have! You can pick up the steel at K&K in thorton (I have a thread stickied of places ot get steel in the fab thread I think). That would prolly be a full weekend job. And I am sure we could do it. Troy and I just ask for $ for the welding supplies (wire, gas etc)

Where to buy steel thread: https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122942

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I wish he was in the UK! That stuff is coming straight out of Barcelona!

PM sent to the FatMouse crew...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
My Bad, somewhere I read the UK, maybe a guy wanted one shipped there?

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

Son of a....

That guy had the EXACT idea for a bumper that I did....DANG!

I'm building a 2nd gen bumper shortly, and was planning on doing the carrier EXACTLY like that one.

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Very clean design! Wish I had all the tools it looks like they have ...

The C-channel looks like 1/4"...shouldn't twist much at all, and I bet the piece is only about 50% heavier than an equivalently sized 1/8" box. The lights give it a finished look.

I have cutting bits (large ones) if you want to pierce the mounts and run tube through them as they show in the CAD drawings-- 1" to 2" in 1/4" sizes, plus 2.75" and 3". There's usually a plasma hiding at HOW-N for the shapes, just make a template to follow using sheetmetal or something, not hard.

Personally I always like to see direct support for the spare rather than offset on an A-frame like most people build...but there's not always a reasonable way to do it. That's the only improvement I'd like to see, and it's general to all bumpers using an offset support for the spare tire.

-Sean

'00 Project, constant state of (d)evolution
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
In Rememberance

Yeah about that plasma cutter. If we need it the needer has to pony up pie making money... cuz we pay pete the plasma ownder in pies.... And he is about due for one!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
Personally I always like to see direct support for the spare rather than offset on an A-frame like most people build...but there's not always a reasonable way to do it. That's the only improvement I'd like to see, and it's general to all bumpers using an offset support for the spare tire.

-Sean
Please elaborate...

I mean, I get the offset vs. direct, but how is this offset?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

dear gawd.. did somebody just ask Sean to elaborate?.. incoming 4 page post in 3...2....1

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 12:44 PM
In Rememberance

Quote:
dear gawd.. did somebody just ask Sean to elaborate?.. incoming 4 page post in 3...2....1

But I WILL read it!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There was nothing about that in the FAQ.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 03:00 PM
In Rememberance

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrez4 View Post
There was nothing about that in the FAQ.
Oh yeah we better add that. As well as Layton's 3 page rebuttals....

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 PM

Can i say the word BONER on here without being banned... that bumper is sweet LIKE a CAMARO LOL... Hmm thinking about a similar design on my pig...

I just wanted something cool at the bottom of my page like everyone else......... Oh ya And chicks rule the world Damn Vagina's ......
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
In Rememberance

This is TTORA. You can say Fuck and Shit too.

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
This is TTORA. You can say Fuck and Shit too.

Rofflewaffle
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM
In Rememberance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Rofflewaffle
Now THAT is a dirty word. Brandon... 1 week suspension!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:34 PM
ike
Veteran Member

now we need to link this to the ohio board so they can get their panties in a bunch.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:49 PM
In Rememberance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
now we need to link this to the ohio board so they can get their panties in a bunch.
Do they STILL have that rule?

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode