mechanical to electric fan? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

mechanical to electric fan?

hey guys, i was at 4wheelparts in denver last week and one of the guys was telling me to swap the mechanical fan to an electric and ill gain 15-20hp.
is this true?

if so, what kind of fan am i looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

check out flexalite fans, but dont listen to anything 4wheelparts tells you. you will not gain anywhere near that power, all it will do is give u the power back that is put into turning a pulley a couple hp if that, but electric fans a good for other things like deep water crossings

Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!
1997 toyota 4 runner. lc coils and donahoe coils goin on soon with 255 75 17 brk km's on titan rims
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

what engine do you have I use a taurus fan on my 3.0 and it work like a charm

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

V6 motor. SR5.

i think he told me it was a taurus.... what year taurus? do you remember?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

get a dual flexalite.... mine struggles when its really hot out sometimes

and any power gains aren't really existient.... but after you bust one of the stock fans in a water crossing you will wish you could just turn it off lol

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
and any power gains aren't really existient.... but after you bust one of the stock fans in a water crossing you will wish you could just turn it off lol
x2 - the power to turn the fan has to come from somewhere. Damn those laws of thermodynamics!

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

eh.... mine draws about 16 amps.... im pretty sure that the electrical system has enough surplus to handle it and offer some sort of power gain, i seriously doubt that the stock fan detracts much to begin with though, definitely not 15-20hp

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 AM
ike
Veteran Member

i prefer the reliablility of the mechanical fan personally. have seen several people with electric setups overheat due to a wire coming loose.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

there's lots of years for the Taurus fan. I have one I was going to put in my 85, but just couldn't find the room. The fan itself is about 4" thick, then you need to account for the shroud.

I'm not sure what part of town you're in, but you're welcome to use mine to see if that's an option for you. The aftermarket ones (flexalite, etc) are slimmer and might work better for you size wise, but you need to check the CFM rating on them. Alot of people go with the taurus fan because it draws a ton of air and has no problems cooling much bigger motors.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM

electric fans are nice.....makes changing belts even easier than it was to begin with.....you will need to remove the studs in the water pump drive and replace with bolts or add a few washers to compensate for the fan mounting hub.....

Built not bought!!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
x2 - the power to turn the fan has to come from somewhere. Damn those laws of thermodynamics!
true, but electrical draw should be less than mechanical. especially because my runner with soon have a stronger battery and alternator (due to needs for audio system)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
eh.... mine draws about 16 amps.... im pretty sure that the electrical system has enough surplus to handle it and offer some sort of power gain, i seriously doubt that the stock fan detracts much to begin with though, definitely not 15-20hp
thats kinda what i was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
there's lots of years for the Taurus fan. I have one I was going to put in my 85, but just couldn't find the room. The fan itself is about 4" thick, then you need to account for the shroud.

I'm not sure what part of town you're in, but you're welcome to use mine to see if that's an option for you. The aftermarket ones (flexalite, etc) are slimmer and might work better for you size wise, but you need to check the CFM rating on them. Alot of people go with the taurus fan because it draws a ton of air and has no problems cooling much bigger motors.
hmm, ill have to hit you up and take a look. it may be too much of a project for such a little gain. im hopin to make the 'x-mas' party thing on jan 2. so hopefully i can get some hands on advise and looks at what you guys do to these things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast7mtoys View Post
electric fans are nice.....makes changing belts even easier than it was to begin with.....you will need to remove the studs in the water pump drive and replace with bolts or add a few washers to compensate for the fan mounting hub.....
very good point. gonna have to do some weighing of the + and - of the idea...thanks.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
true, but electrical draw should be less than mechanical. especially because my runner with soon have a stronger battery and alternator (due to needs for audio system)
How ya figure? There is some amount of loss in converting the motion to electricity, and then back to motion. Compared to the belt which is 100% efficient.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:52 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Quote:
How ya figure? There is some amount of loss in converting the motion to electricity, and then back to motion. Compared to the belt which is 100% efficient.
belt is not 100% even, it looses some energy to heat. it is way more efficent than an electric fan though. the plus of the electric fan is that it draws its energy througout the entire time the vehicle is running, without the big loss when the fan is needed.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Made 0 difference to me.

I run a Lincoln Mk. VIII fan with a delta controls PWM speed controller in place of the mechanical fan. It runs slowly and rarely. Far from the hair drier scream of the black magic pancake fans. I like that part.

It made 0 difference in MPG; Frankly, I go over Vail Pass at the same speed as with the mechanical fan too. No notable power difference for me. I don't think the mechanical fan's clutch engages very often when you are moving at highway speeds hence the lack of significant difference.

Just sharin' my experiences.

89 V6 4runner. 273,000 miles. original head gaskets.
SAS, 244:1, 37x12.50s
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

I have a Taurus fan from a 3.8 liter taurus, down here in the pull-a-part it was 15$, and a Hayden (known as a TorqueFlo in other parts of country) I got it from Orielly's (known as Checkers or Keagan in other parts of the country) and the controllers are life time warrenty, even are prewired for an override switch think I paid 17$ for it.

It wasn't a power increase per say but there a was a difference in waiting on the motor to "spool" if you will. It is more rev happy
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Poopshute
Some dude on the Nat'l forum gained an extra 8 hp or something close to that with an electric fan (at the rear wheel, dyno'd). I was running a permacool pancake fan in my 3.4L but had too many issues with the control unit going on the fritz (water was dripping into it... bad placement and rubber boot design... some electrical tape fixed that issue) and had the pin that holds the motor to the fan magically disappeared making the fan basically slip on the motor. Glad I was in town and not up in the hills. Regardless, I went back to the mechanical fan for reliability purposes. Also, there's not an easy way to hook up a water temp thermostat in the 3.4L so you end up having to use a radiator fin probe which is ok but not ideal.

If you install an electric fan, make sure to bring your mechanical fan along for the ride if you go anywhere far or go wheeling. Better safe than sorry!!!

Also, don't forget that the stock fan has a built in thermostat that reduces the spinning of the stock fan as the engine warms up.

No Obstacles, Only Challenges.

My Rig: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro Storm Trooper

GO BUFFS!!!

-Dilan
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopshute View Post
Some dude on the Nat'l forum gained an extra 8 hp or something close to that with an electric fan (at the rear wheel, dyno'd).
I have yet to see any proof that dynos are that consistent run to run ... I would hardly call 8 hp "real" or "significant".

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Poopshute
Quote:
I have yet to see any proof that dynos are that consistent run to run ... I would hardly call 8 hp "real" or "significant".
His name is "TRDOLMAN" but it looks like he hasn't posted in a while. Here are his specs:

Impressive numbers!

Not saying it's worth it or not but he did tell me he got some extra pony's with an electric fan...

No Obstacles, Only Challenges.

My Rig: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro Storm Trooper

GO BUFFS!!!

-Dilan
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

I guess what I'm saying is that the "extra pony's" (sic) he is claiming are within the measurement error of the dyno. IMHO, he could have made NO changes and shown 8HP more - especially on 305 HP, it's only 2.5% - generally a measurement system is considered "acceptable" if <10% of the measurement variation is from the measurement system.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode