Feeler: Tube Toor Mod - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Feeler: Tube Door Mod

Damn It!!! OK so I mis-spelled "Door" and tried to fix it but it won't update!

Anyway, I picked up some tube doors from 4xinnovations and I would like to add some extra frame work to them like this:

The idea here is to take the doors (door frame) to a custom canvas shop and have them put on some custom J**p type of door skins.

Now if I didn't live in Colorado where it rains every afternoon I wouldn't even consider this, and this will cost some $$$, but in my mind this is a cool mod I'd like to have done to my rig, especially during Summer.

So I'm looking for a welder out there who might be interested in doing this. I'll provide all the material and supplies, including beer if you want, and of course money.

Also if anyone out there knows of a custom canvas shop that would help too.

As far as a time line when I would like to have this done, I'm in no hurry especially since I and everyone else wants to wheel right now. So possibly the end of Fall, beginning to mid Winter.

Last edited by Yanman; 08-01-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Added more incentive. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

that sounds like a pretty cool idea! I just cant help you out on either front. good luck with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

This is along the same lines as I have planned for my eventual half doors. Yours is not going to be simple because of the tight tolerances needed to actually seal into the door frame. You might want to consider picking up a spare set of doors and cutting the center out to fit the tube door section.

Also, I've heard that the canvas shops charge quite a bit as they are used to working with boat owners for this type of work. I'm not looking forward to the quote myself... good luck.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

cool idea!

a lot of general auto upholstery shops do canvas too, and they might be cheaper than the canvas specialty ones. maybe worth checkin out.

05 Taco
Icon/Camburg Mid-Travel Front. All-Pro Hybrid w/ Smitty 9.5k. TG/NF Sliders. Tom Woods D/S. BFG 35's. Front Glass. Icon AAL's. WE Monotube 500's. NF Fab Rear Bumper. All-Pro skids. NF Fab Diff Armour. 4.56.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfreak1234 View Post
that sounds like a pretty cool idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota700 View Post
cool idea!
Thanks!

I thought this would be a unique idea for a mod, but now I just need someone brave enough to travel this road with me.

Anyone?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 09:55 PM

I already did! I didn't have premade tube doors, but the idea is the same.The canvas cost me about $550 with windows that zipper down. Cant load pics of the canvas and not sure if the link is going to work either. TTORA Forum > General Tech > Fabrication/Tools
1/2 / tube doors
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilitoy View Post
I already did! I didn't have premade tube doors, but the idea is the same.The canvas cost me about $550 with windows that zipper down. Cant load pics of the canvas and not sure if the link is going to work either. TTORA Forum > General Tech > Fabrication/Tools
1/2 / tube doors
No linky, but it at least allowed me to find the thread.

Here ya go, for the lazy (like me).

1/2 / tube doors

Looks pretty freakin slick actually! You should definitely make a build thread as others are encouraging you to do. That thing looks incredibly well-made, would love to see/read more about it .

Let me know if you want help getting the pics up.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilitoy View Post
1/2 / tube doors
LOL, ok so maybe not 100% unique idea, but still a mod I want to see through.

Where did you go to have the canvas done?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Honestlly, it would be MUCH easier to start with a set of actual doors, and cut out sections and weld in tube, than to use these tube doors. I'd sell these off, and use that money to fund the rest of the parts. Seems a waste to cut these up to work.

Just my .02

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

I also would normally be happy to help you with this, but I have WAY too much going on right now. Too bad, as this looks like a great project.

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I also would normally be happy to help you with this, but I have WAY too much going on right now. Too bad, as this looks like a great project.
No worries, now is not the time I would want to have it done.

Looking more to have it done when the weather is much cooler and the desire to wheel, for me anyway, is less, ie: Winter.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM

I got the canvas done at Blazing Auto Trim, but after I got them done, someone said to use Rauls. Still having trouble doing pics, guess I can email some to you so you can see final product.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
PM Sent, I would deffinately be interested in see those pics.

I'll try bumping this feeler again in a few months to see if I can get some welding help or not.

Who knows, I might have to wait until I learn how to weld myself.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Sent pics. I can probably help you with these, but I'm pretty busy right now. I have all the tools and usually the material as well. Where are you located?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Got 'em. Very nice work! Me likey!

I'm in Thornton. So I could come down to you.

But like you said your busy, and I'm in no rush. So, if you want to help just let me know when would be a good time.

Looks like I might be headed to Yota Jims to pick up some 84-88/89 doors, and trying to sell the 4xinnovations tube doors. Unless you would rather mod the tube doors.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 PM

post em up if u want.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 04:31 PM

I'm down just east of Colorado Springs and would be happy to help you with either modding the tube doors or cutting up and adding tube to a set of stock doors.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

You might PM Davestaco. He does frame work welding and canvas work for a living. He might have some unique insight to make your design work.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoatoy View Post
I'm down just east of Colorado Springs and would be happy to help you with either modding the tube doors or cutting up and adding tube to a set of stock doors.
PM Sent

I also sent a PM to davestaco as well.

Last edited by Yanman; 08-10-2011 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode