I'm contemplating fitting a factory carrier arm from a Pathfinder to my 87 body. I've thought about 2nd gen Runners, Blazers, Broncos, Bronco II, Bravada, and Kia swing gates. The Nissan one is the most stout, has the best latch, plus it latches low on the tailgate- not to interfere with the trim on my truck. I used to have a 92 Pathfinder with a 33, highlift and jerry can without problems for years. They have huge bushing pins that operated fine on my 15 year old truck.
After reading tons of threads on different sites, I realize most people think it's not a good idea.
1. I need the room inside and on top, since I carry tools/ladders frequently.
2. My current warn bumper is really small and adding a carrier to it would be tough
3. Can't afford a custom bumper
4. Plenty of donors available/cheap
1. I'll have to reinforce the body metal/add support brackets
2. It won't be as tough as a custom piece
3. Rear departure angle will be sacrificed
I'm not dead set on doing it this way, I do think it would be the most economical option though. I think I can get the carrier, new bushings, bracket made/installed for significantly less than having a custom arm made to work with my bumper. Any thoughts besides what I've already mentioned?
I don't plan on building a crawler with this truck and I admit I think carriers look cool. This truck is primarily a dd/basic expo rig... FS roads...