remove resonator - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

remove resonator

Wondering if anybody has removed the 'J' shaped Helmholtz resonator on the intake tract. It's located under the plastic intake tract in line between the air box and the throttle body. Not sure if there is any power to be gained by removing it and plugging it off, so I'm gonna try it. The thing's sole purpose is to cancel noise resonations and silence the intake tract. Popular Mechanics did an article on the thing and it made me curious. Seems to me that the purpose of some of the aftermarket intake tubes, like the AEM modular unit ($90), is to smooth out intake flow as much as possible to effect a power increase. These resonators impede flow in order to do their job, but I think we'd all accept some more intake noise for a free power inscrease. I'm sure the increase will be negligible, but maybe it'll aid fuel economy. Some guy on the nat'l forum removed it and plugged it easily with a cap from a coolant bottle. I'll let y'all know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Aren't you a Regional Manager AND a little bitch?
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
As yet unnamed '03 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

any word?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

uh it really isn't dampening any air movement........ its more cancelling out noise frequencies. the only way you are going to benefit from any real intake modification is to get blown and then just do a straight pipe with a cone or otherwise on it......... our engines get enough air to run efficiently with a deckplate setup as it is. no change after the MAF will make a difference really anyways

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 02:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Poopshute
I ended up installing the AIRAID MIT on my Taco. There are conversions and such you can do with your stock box but it isn't clean. I did it along with the Deckplate mod so I can't really tell you if I felt a difference between stock w/Deckplate and MIT w/Deckplate. As far as physics go... the MIT does make it so air travels in to the intake more efficiently (just not sure how much gain it gives). As always, here's a pic...

No Obstacles, Only Challenges.

My Rig: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro Storm Trooper

GO BUFFS!!!

-Dilan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode