shifter success! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

shifter success!

Alright all who have problems with the first to second shift after a 2" body lift...you know who you are.
I fixed the problem...I just totally fucking removed the rubber boot! Now the tranny shifts like that of a european sports car. Before removing the boot I separated it from the lower rubber sheet,(they were held in place by 4 large staples) the flat one with a hole for each shifter. There has been a resulting significant increase in NVH from the console, but it's bearable. The flat, rubber portal, still in place, provides necessary weatherproofing. No outside air enters the cabin through the portal, just noise.
Next I'm going to try and cut-to-fit some sort of rubber material (like from a heavy duty truck mudflap) to fit over the hole, thus deadening some more of the road noise.
I've never been happier with the shifting of this truck! I recently cancelled my order for URD's short throw shifter after three weeks on backorder. They were helpful enough to call me up and cancel the charges to my credit card, and I think I've accomplished the same thing by removing the boot that I would have with the $150 shifter kit.
Ghetto engineering at its finest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Aren't you a Regional Manager AND a little bitch?
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
As yet unnamed '03 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

i would still get the short throw.... it makes the difference and makes it so that you can put the boot on though somewhat modified ( 4x4 shifter.....) but thats just me

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
Am I missing something? I have a 3" BL and no problems. I think I had to bend the shifter to the right and also bend the 4wd shifter to the left.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
Am I missing something? I have a 3" BL and no problems. I think I had to bend the shifter to the right and also bend the 4wd shifter to the left.
Yeah, with a 3" BL you absolutely have to bend the shifter, or you'll be popping out of 2nd gear and 4wd all the time. How did you bend it? Remove it then use a torch or what?
Rich, I'm def still getting the shifter, eventually.

Quote:
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

its a blast.... now if i only got off my ass and rebuilt my SAW's and put together the leaf packs i just picked up lol

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks
Yeah, with a 3" BL you absolutely have to bend the shifter, or you'll be popping out of 2nd gear and 4wd all the time. How did you bend it? Remove it then use a torch or what?
Rich, I'm def still getting the shifter, eventually.

I cut the shifter near the base and added in 3" of rod. Any bending I did was just with a BFH since I don't have a torch.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

that's downright brilliant Brandon.

Quote:
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Sad thing is these are just all solutions to a shorter transmission life...and why I hate BL's. Bending, adding length, or any changes to the shifters fulcrum and leverage will prematurely wear on the syncros and gears...and the URD short throw is just more moving parts to aid in things going wrong and I seriously doubt it has the correct shift gate not to also add to the premature wear.

Even a properly engineered B&M short throw is not worth the money ($125 shipped is the best price I've found) for a potential .1 sec quarter mile reduction.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/...short_shifter/ and The Off Road article confirms what I've found on most every short shift kit I've driven, is that it ruins down shifting points...

Last edited by bluetaco; 11-14-2006 at 07:00 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yeah, but I'm not attempting to shave time off of a quarter mile drag here, Layton. I'm merely attempting to find a comfortable shift configuration. Right now, it feels better than it did stock.
I know you're not a fan of BLs and though I knew the issue would arise, I didn't start this post to debate the pros and cons of body lifts. There are plenty of those posts on the national board. I personally feel that a body lift is inert, harmless to your vehicle. Off-roading in general, however, is harmful to a vehicle and will decrease the life of your transmission and all other components.

Quote:
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetaco
Sad thing is these are just all solutions to a shorter transmission life...and why I hate BL's. Bending, adding length, or any changes to the shifters fulcrum and leverage will prematurely wear on the syncros and gears...and the URD short throw is just more moving parts to aid in things going wrong and I seriously doubt it has the correct shift gate not to also add to the premature wear.

Even a properly engineered B&M short throw is not worth the money ($125 shipped is the best price I've found) for a potential .1 sec quarter mile reduction.
http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/...short_shifter/ and The Off Road article confirms what I've found on most every short shift kit I've driven, is that it ruins down shifting points...
Unless you have the proven data that extending the shifter prematurely wears the syncros and gears I'm going to have to disagree. If anything it will make them last longer since the throw on the shifter will end up being longer and therefore shifting into gear will be slower.
A short shifter will likely wear down parts faster. I have one on my truck but it has nothing to do with 1/4 mile times. I have a twin stick and fitting 3 shifters into that space is tough. It fits easier if the throw on the shifter is shorter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode