Axle is on hold.....lets talk Soft topper - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60
Axle is on hold.....lets talk Soft topper

So after all the headache on tryin to figure out what im doing for an axle i need a brake but cant stop modding! I have wanted a canback for a while now and with my roll bar gone its time to do it. The idea is a topper that i can remove the sides and roll up the back sealed well enough to keep some heat in for winter camping. I will have a space heater in there for warming up and i have a wood piece that at one point went to a bed so its padded on top. Im going to mod to fit the back so i dont have all the ridges in my back. A storage area and a nice spot for my CO2 set up that is in the mix now. I have a 4runner roll bar from a 1st gen that will be fit in the back of it for a bit more support. I plan on eventaully making a Real bed cage but cant afford it right now.

Heres the idea(ideas or suggestions would be great.)
Im going to build the frame from a thick conduit type tube. I have a pipe bender for smaller pipe that will bend it nice. I dont plan on taking the top part off ever and the sides will be off for wheeling and maybe some driving but not all the time so i will make the frame of it solid. A few supports. to help hold the up pipes and one or 2 across the top running side to side. The 4runner bar will help hold the back up.

I will get a few pics of what im thinking. I am thinking it will take a few trys to get the supports strong enough but at $3.xx a tube its cheap enough to try a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Saw a 1st gen in the group behind us on HolyCross with a top like you want:

If you want to bob the bed for better departure angle (and you know you do) - do it first!

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Saw a 1st gen in the group behind us on HolyCross with a top like you want:

If you want to bob the bed for better departure angle (and you know you do) - do it first!
I like it!!! I was thinking about that but i really like the idea of a 7foot bed. Gives me room to sleep and room to put stuff. I have been thinking about it tho and its still not a for sure no.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Hey we can have a cutting party and do tippy's top and and build your soft top the same weekend. I have access to a heavy duty sewing machine and we can sew our own canvas toppers...

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Sweet! I have to drop the car off at a buddys house for an alarm install but i will start getting the pipe together sunday and run to the shop and either bend it or bring the bender home. Should be some fun times.

Oh i saw a runner like yours in Westy today. It was white and had the back cut like it sounds like you want yours done. It looks SICK! SAS,cut back.....i cant wait to see yours done.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 06:09 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
DUDE... WTF - No picture? *whine*

Can you tell I found some new freaky ass smileys? And what the hell are you doing up so early? Or are you like me and still just up from last night. LOL

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

the dog thought it would be a good idea to eat ant poison. Not just one little thing but 6-8 little traps.

I couldnt get a pic i was driving the truck that still has the egg shaped tires on it cause 4wheel parts couldnt get me in....it was shaking like crazy!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

I got that cheapo topper from craigslist for free, and im going to use the frame and build a soft topper. well, one of these days...

search before doing anything, even farting, or people will shove that fart so far up your ass, your burp will smell like shit.

96 Tacoma SX 2.7 5spd, bone stock on 31's.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 12:33 AM
In Rememberance

I love your ghetto CB and Ghetto topper Henry. Classic CoTTORA style!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode