need suggestion on truck - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

need suggestion on truck

I just got a 79 toyota extend cab for free. It has a blown motor and has been sitting for a few years. I was told it has old jeep axles on it with lockers. I was looking at it for about 5 min and want to shortin the wheel base and do a lift, I m not sure on the motor, I dont have alot of money and dont want the project to take years. I was told the 20r are a good motor and dont cost to much. But that is all i have for info right now maybe i can get some help with what to do and how to do it thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'd recomend motor first, then lift and wheelbase. Just my .02, but the lift and wheelbase might seem a little wierd if it doesn't go anywhere.

The 20R, 22R and 22RE are all very reliable. 20R, 22R are carburated, RE is EFI, depending on your preference. All are fairly affordable.

I'd recomend calling around to Pull n Save type places to see if they have a motor. That should save you some coin. However, you may still end up with a rebuild depending on the condition of the motor. Again, time consuming, but not really expensive.

Perhaps you will get better responses if you detail your experience and level of aptitude for this type of project. My previous suggestions involve some working knowledge of engines to be feasible for you.

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Toyota never made a 79 extra cab. 89?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode