Hi-Lift Accessory - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Hi-Lift Accessory

I was bored and at the shop so I made a Slider adapter for my Hi-Lift. I'm not paying $50.00 for something I can make from material I found in the scrap bin.

End Result

I think it will work pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

You mean you haven't tested it yet?
Get that bitch up off the ground!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Aren't you a Regional Manager AND a little bitch?
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
As yet unnamed '03 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Then make me one!

Quote:
Mr.Clean '03 Taco

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Next time I am bored and sitting in the shop waiting for a truck to show up.. I will get on that for ya.

Actually, now that I have a prototype I may be able to have one of the guys stay late and make a few. But I would have to kick down a few bucks for time and welding supplies.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

I would totally pay for one, but I suppose I'd better get a Hi-Lift first, eh?

Quote:
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Finished product

I will ask a few tom. if he wants to make a few bucks.
What do you think is fair? $10.00 each? Takes about 30 min to complete. (Unpainted)

post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks View Post
I would totally pay for one, but I suppose I'd better get a Hi-Lift first, eh?
my thoughts exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Gots one-a dem frum WabFab wile bak, werks gud.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

That is where I got the idea from. I wanted one, but $50.00 + $15.00 S&H is ridicolous. If they were $25.00 or so I would have bought one.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy View Post
That is where I got the idea from. I wanted one, but $50.00 + $15.00 S&H is ridicolous. If they were $25.00 or so I would have bought one.
Ridiculous, perhaps, but without a shop, material or the skill, I got to pay...

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

True, I meant no disrespect at all! I am just a cheap ass!

I think what they are charging is silly. I guess the old addage of would you rather have 10 customers at $1.00 a piece or 1 customer at $10.00 a piece is fitting.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

OK my welder said he would do it for $10.00 a pop and I am guessing that material, Welding supplies and beer will cost another $10.00

So $20.00 each? I would like to do 10 or so if we are going to do this. He just had a baby and it would be good for him to make a little extra cash. I am not trying to profit at all.
With me cutting and both of us welding I think we could make 10 in 3 hours.

I will deliver them next time I get down there to wheel! Hit me up let me know!
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
We'll get one. Well aside form the fact that I will put my body between a tree OR a highlift and your rig!

Love you Prod!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 PM

Would love to have one!! Count me in
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like all the kids are doing it these days. Why should I be any different? Where do I sign up?

"America is about speed...Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed."
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to waskillywabbit Send a message via Yahoo to waskillywabbit
Talking

Quote:
I was bored and at the shop so I made a Slider adapter for my Hi-Lift. I'm not paying $50.00 for something I can make from material I found in the scrap bin.

I think it will work pretty well.
From your pictures, tolerances and fitment, you used the term "scrap" wisely. I do not use "scrap" in making my slider adapters.

Quote:
(WabFab Off-Road) is where I got the idea from. I wanted one, but $50.00 + $15.00 S&H is ridicolous. If they were $25.00 or so I would have bought one.
For the time I put into mine and what they look like compared to the time you put into yours and what they look like...the difference - fitment and quality is obvious.

Quote:
True, I meant no disrespect at all! I am just a cheap ass!

I think what they are charging is silly. I guess the old addage of would you rather have 10 customers at $1.00 a piece or 1 customer at $10.00 a piece is fitting.
For someone meaning no disrespect you sure do throw around the negative comments. There is no "they" it is me. I am a one man show. I make every single slider adapter that goes out of here. Not on some assembly line but with care and precision put into each one. They are test fit at 4 different stages of completion to make sure they maintain the strict fabrication tolerances that govern everything I fabricate. My reputation is of the utmost for a quality product and customer service, which starts with my slider adapters for the Hi-Lift Jack.

The pictures are there...compare the two products and I think you are getting what you pay for easily. I'll take selling one quality piece for what it is worth materials and labor vs. 10 poor imitations any day.

Quote:
OK my welder said he would do it for $10.00 a pop and I am guessing that material, Welding supplies and beer will cost another $10.00

So $20.00 each? I would like to do 10 or so if we are going to do this. He just had a baby and it would be good for him to make a little extra cash. I am not trying to profit at all.
With me cutting and both of us welding I think we could make 10 in 3 hours.

I will deliver them next time I get down there to wheel! Hit me up let me know!
What I find the most amusing is that you are not even welding them yourself? So really you have no idea of the work involved to make a quality fabricated piece. And I also see your price has now gone up from $10 to $20 for that "cheap ass" imitation.

I wish you all the luck in selling your "accessory" but please do so without comparing my Hi-Lift slider adapter to yours...as there is none.

post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Ric

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit View Post
From your pictures, tolerances and fitment, you used the term "scrap" wisely. I do not use "scrap" in making my slider adapters.

For the time I put into mine and what they look like compared to the time you put into yours and what they look like...the difference - fitment and quality is obvious.

For someone meaning no disrespect you sure do throw around the negative comments. There is no "they" it is me. I am a one man show. I make every single slider adapter that goes out of here. Not on some assembly line but with care and precision put into each one. They are test fit at 4 different stages of completion to make sure they maintain the strict fabrication tolerances that governs everything I fabricate. My reputation is of the utmost for a quality product and customer service, which starts with my slider adapters for the Hi-Lift Jack.

The pictures are there...compare the two products and I think you are getting what you pay for easily. I'll take selling one quality piece for what it is worth materials and labor vs. 10 poor imitations any day.

What I find the most amusing is that you are not even welding them yourself? So really you have no idea of the work involved to make a quality fabricated piece. And I also see your price has now gone up from $10 to $20 for that "cheap ass" imitation.

I wish you all the luck in selling your "accessory" but please do so without comparing my Hi-Lift slider adapter to yours...as there is none.

Very well said. I know that Wab Fab Does NOT use "scraps" he sells only "quaility" products.

I agree 100% you get what you pay for....
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Wabbit,

I never said anything bad about your product nor have I ever heard anything bad about your products. I said it was over priced. And it is. 4" x ¼" Rectangle Tubing sells for around $10.00 per foot, these are 4" long so $3.50 each in channel rounding up, 1½" S/80 SA-106B/C Pipe goes for about $3.00 per foot (A little more if you are using DOM) and has a MAWP of 3399 PSI which is plenty strong to lift any Toyota I have ever seen. So that is about $1.50 per unit bringing your material to roughly $5.00 each. There is a total of 6" +/- of weld. 2 holes and a notch. A little grinder time and your done. The first one may take a little longer but after that it shouldn't. I can see by the offset that your's has a little more thought put into it.

Your product is hands down a better looking product, and may be stronger than this one. However I am not trying to sell mine to the masses. I offered it to a few friends (at their request) and they said yeah. I said ok. The guy who would be helping out would be making a little extra cash and all benefits. You chose to use only the parts of my post that benefit your argument. I did say I welded this one and I did say we both would be welding the others. It would take less time and a good employee would make some extra cash. I have 15 that work for me and I am sure if I asked one would do it for less. This guy happens to have just had a baby and I was trying to help him out.

You don't know me and I don’t know you so to rush to judgment is foolish on both parts. I think there is someone (Ric) stirring the pot here. If you feel that I am encroaching on your business with my "cheap ass imitation" then say the word and I have made the last one. NO harm done.

Prodigy
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Very well said. I know that Wab Fab Does NOT use "scraps" he sells only "quaility" products.

Ric,

In the past I have stayed neutral in your beef with some of the COTTORA members. I ignored your jabs at others and listened closely to your advice. I even made sure to tell Jed that you were the one who recommended him, so I guess in a sense I have had nothing but good things to say. I never judge anyone by what others say, I make my own opinion by their actions.

Here is what I have seen.
You choose to start shit whenever you can. If you have something constructive to say it is in a smart ass arrogant way. You choose to post here only when you think you can make someone look bad and make yourself look good.

Either grow up and be constructive or just go away. You are making yourself look like a fool in front of people who at one time had a lot of respect for you. I care not for what you may have to say to or about me, so save your energy.
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Ric

Im sorry, I thought this was an open forum, I didnt bash anyone, I didnt make any personal attacks.
I did infact voice my opinion, which I do believe, is within the rules here.
I do stand behind what I said
Quote:

I do have his products, and I trust my rig with them.

Quote:
You are making yourself look like a fool in front of people who at one time had a lot of respect for you.
I honestly dont care, if you, or anyone else, has any, respect for me.
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to waskillywabbit Send a message via Yahoo to waskillywabbit
Prodigy,

Quote:
Wabbit,

I never said anything bad about your product nor have I ever heard anything bad about your products. I said it was over priced. And it is. 4" x ¼" Rectangle Tubing sells for around $10.00 per foot, these are 4" long so $3.50 each in channel rounding up, 1½" S/80 SA-106B/C Pipe goes for about $3.00 per foot (A little more if you are using DOM) and has a MAWP of 3399 PSI which is plenty strong to lift any Toyota I have ever seen. So that is about $1.50 per unit bringing your material to roughly $5.00 each. There is a total of 6" +/- of weld. 2 holes and a notch. A little grinder time and your done. The first one may take a little longer but after that it shouldn't. I can see by the offset that your's has a little more thought put into it.
Overpriced is your misinformed opinion as you do not know about that which you continue to speak about. My product requires precise materials and fabrication. It is not scrap thrown together. I have fabricated dozens of prototypes to get the slider adapter where it is today. I do not use the materials you list, I can assure you, as all the materials are very carefully selected for a precise fit, thicknesses and go together perfectly. I can also assure you that it is a bit more welding than 6” +/- to get it to look as it does and well more than 2 holes and a notch…certainly a bit more than you speculate as a “little grinder time”. I wish it were as simple as you think it to be. All my slider adapters are built off the same exact jig…the one in my head.

Quote:
Your product is hands down a better looking product, and may be stronger than this one. However I am not trying to sell mine to the masses. I offered it to a few friends (at their request) and they said yeah. I said ok. The guy who would be helping out would be making a little extra cash and all benefits. You chose to use only the parts of my post that benefit your argument. I did say I welded this one and I did say we both would be welding the others. It would take less time and a good employee would make some extra cash. I have 15 that work for me and I am sure if I asked one would do it for less. This guy happens to have just had a baby and I was trying to help him out.
Yes, I will agree with you. Looks are for marketing and the powder coating makes it pretty but it is so much more than looks, it is a precise fit. Forgive me if my comments seemed selective as that was not my intention, but I invest way more time in my slider adapters than 10 in 3 hours. Producing them using repetitive motions to conserve my time invested while still maintaining quality I invest 1.5 to 2 hours per slider adapter. Build all of your design that you want, just don’t copy mine.

Quote:
You don't know me and I don’t know you so to rush to judgment is foolish on both parts. I think there is someone (Ric) stirring the pot here. If you feel that I am encroaching on your business with my "cheap ass imitation" then say the word and I have made the last one. NO harm done.

Prodigy
I don’t know you and don’t have anything against you, nor do I hope to in the future. However, I did not judge anyone, I simply went off your own quotations, even if I did select certain phrases to focus upon. Nor did I rush into anything as I think my thoughts are pretty straightforward and concise.

On the tangent, Ric is irrelevant here as the qualms you have with him are your business and of no concern of mine whatsoever.

All my products that I fabricate are top notch products that are priced fairly for the amount of materials and labor involved, which includes my slider adapters, and when someone tries to make a cheap knock off for any reason it makes me a bit ornery.

I'd prefer to end it there and I'll stay out of your thread.

Thanks.
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

I will stay out of your thread now...but I'll be watching.

post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Brian (Waskillywabbit) Has great product from what I hear. (I don't have any myself). Very battle tested - tried and true. What he charges is likely legitimate for what he is trying to accomplish.

Just found this out from Brian...

I am an ASME fabrication engineer at my full timer where I spend my days designing pressure vessels, heat exchangers, boilers, autoclaves, high pressure piping and all kinds of fabricated items. I may not know a lot of things, but I dang sure know metal fabrication...structural, low pressure, high pressure...all of it.

Prodigy is also a full metals engineer who works with high pressure drilling equipment - fabricating pieces to stand up to hundreds of tons of pressure in his daytime job. So I have no doubt that he can design/build a very structurally sound piece. But as a side job it isn't as pretty, or as accurate maybe as Brian's work.

Thus the difference in price. Plus Prodigy is not marketing this to the masses. Only wants to hook a few friends up.

It is easy to see that both are reasonable solutions for slightly different requirements and needs.

*group hug*

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Brian I apologize for even mentioning your product. It was of poor taste on my part.

To clarify I am a Mechanical Engineer and design Pressure Vessels for the Natural Gas Industry. (Not that it matters)

Guys & Gals,

In the interest of good faith I don't think it would be a good idea for me to offer these any more.
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
Just found this out from Brian...

I am an ASME fabrication engineer at my full timer where I spend my days designing pressure vessels, heat exchangers, boilers, autoclaves, high pressure piping and all kinds of fabricated items. I may not know a lot of things, but I dang sure know metal fabrication...structural, low pressure, high pressure...all of it.
Quote:
To clarify I am a Mechanical Engineer and design Pressure Vessels for the Natural Gas Industry. (Not that it matters)
No need for apologies. I intruded into your thread so I deleted my posts accordingly.

On a lighter note, I too am a fabrication enginerd...I see the stuff in my sleep.

My small world gets smaller every day.

Really I am a fabricator stuck in an enginerd's brain.

post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit View Post
No need for apologies. I intruded into your thread so I deleted my posts accordingly.

On a lighter note, I too am a fabrication enginerd...I see the stuff in my sleep.

My small world gets smaller every day.

Really I am a fabricator stuck in an enginerd's brain.

Hey Brian, your hi-lift adapter has happily helped me lift my rig on many an occasion and has found itself in use on the trail, so well worth the investment!

All hail the Enginerds!!

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
In Rememberance

CoTTORA loves it's engineerds! Troy is an enginerd too! *Hubba Hubba!*

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ahh so you do the Section viii div.1 two step as well!

I purchased a few exchangers for a de-salination plant in Spain from Southern Heat Exchanger in your neck of the woods.

I really dont like to weld. I keep my 6G cert just so I can keep one step ahead of the AI.
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Way too often.

I'd rather weld than think any day.

post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TowerRigger
Erics hi-lift adapter is a slider whore. It lifted my truck in Farmington.

Props to the engineers. God knows your job is safe from me. I add 2 plus 2 and get 5.lol

Is IFS something you can get penicillin for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks View Post
You flew too close to the sun on wings of whiskey, my friend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode