This is where the magic happens. (lexi build thread from start to finish 56k no no) - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60
This is where the magic happens. (lexi build thread from start to finish 56k no no)

Ok so im not going to go back to round 1 and 2 but the summery for those who dont know. Lexi was my first EVER truck. I got her when i was 13 with 80k on the clock. She was hit in the front by the 2nd owner. My dad and i rebuilt her to be perfect and i had to sell her to my mom. She trashed her and gave her to my brother. With a trade of 2 VW cabbi's i got her back. Round 2 drove it that night and the next day my dad took her to work and blew the motor. We got a junk yard motor and that lasted 3 weeks. Enough time to wheel once or twice but broke the rod in #3 and drove from north of longmont to my house to niwot and then 2 years later on the trailer and had to be pushed off the trailer.

heres the start of round 3...i will be quick with the pics but if you want to see more my album is public so feel free to look around.

ok so i got her going lifted and cleaned up a bit. had to find tons of parts that had been looted. this is end of the month with lexi

mo betta eh?
started to get in to the idea of flex a bit

keep in mind im wheeling about once a week..bunce school and johnny park a bunch.
so heres last winters major hang up

Had a guy pull out in front of me with a jeep. I parked in the back of his jeep and he got the ticket. I drove like this for a few weeks.

fixed it

the tires were trashed and i wanted something a bit better anyways. got some wheels and tires to throw on and did a BJ spacer up front relaxing the T-bars all the way.
flexy

so after this summer of wheeling almost 100% problem free heres what she looks like.
This is after some kind of pulling of damage except the dent on the passenger bed side close to the cab. The fender and passengers door was about 2 hours to make it work. It still wont seal.
Rust starting on the tailgate and the corners smashed in. One was falling off the A piller of that tempo thing the other was a rock i backed up on beaing stupid camping and the drivers side again at carnage in the rain sliding back down the slab.

pre bed dent

stupid tree

bed dent
and in the same night broke a Ubolt so the lowers from the axle running forward in to it.
Rigged and got it home for the tare down

interior to date

Heres where the sticker My friend made me comes in

87 Dlx Longbed mall crawler
93 c3500 lowerthanstockdually
10 jaguar xf- about to be forsale
04 760li on 22's- soon to be forsale
02 Vette to show the world I'm compensating-forsale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

ok so with this being my first truck im upset i smahed it up and have now done what my mom did and ruin it. I have babied it and was trying to fix it up to the condition it was when i got it and was sidetracked by big rocks. The rust on the passengerside came over the time it was sitting ans same with the tailgate. I have a small spot on the drivers side that will be an easy fix.

Lets get started.

The game plan. To fix it pannel by pannel and leave it in primer. Once the body is straight and i know where the armor is going to be to cut as needed im going to spend a weekend and block it and shoot it.
the truck cant be down for more then a week at a time because i enjoy driving it way too much.

lets start out easy with the tailgate.

grinding to see what im working with for metal.

this was here when i got it...never changed and dont know how it happend

All ground down. Looks like were in good shape to save it with no patch pannels. so after grinding as far as i could go with out making it too thin and still getting as much rust as i could see out i threw some rust converter on it for the stuff i couldnt see. i had wire wheeled out all the seam seler and done the same in the seams. I reseamsealed it using self leveling so it looks smooth in the jam now. Plus it will give a better surface for the new tailgate seal to but up against(more on this later)

i took the pics of the tailgate work the weekend before i broke the U bolt so i will throw the pics in from fixing that. The bed was off and i needed to replace the ubolts. "If it aint broke dont fix it , If it is upgrade"(write that down)

Ubolt flip-check,Triangulated rear shocks-check, fresh paint-check,Drive on stuff to make the 90yearold neighbors freak out-check

you can see the tailgate in this one but its just primed i havent got the filler in it yet. I had to throw something on it tho cause i wanted to wheel last minute

still really straight for grinding and fixing rust and doing no more then a little metal shaping.

So this is where i leave you for today. I have picked up new doors new fenders and the rest will be kept. I know your thinking the rust in the bed side and that dent will be hell and so am i but its impossible to find a rust free bed side for a longbed with out going fiberglass. The plan is to make patch pannels and i have started them already. I think it will wait a few weeks tho. I gotta do the easy stuff first. Fenders,hood,doors,CAb,maybe some more interior mods. I did the headliner lastnight and am going to do new carpet before the dash fun starts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Went to town on the passengers bedside and inner bed wall today. Metal shaping sucks but its somewhat straight. Im going to weld the patch pannels in this week if it doesnt snow(i heard it was going to.) I ground out a bunch of rust inside the bed walls and got it about ready. Its not as bad inside as i thought. Im going to be linexing it inside the bed and the covers inside and out. Gastank all works and lines up again so really after i weld in the patch pannels the bed will go quickly. I got all the stickers off the doors and fenders that are going on. I scraped most of them off the bed but glue that old doesnt come off easy.

My camera died the other night and i need to charge it so i can get some shots. The truck is starting to look like a truck again. I need to price out the gray base coat and stuff so i can plan for it coming soon. I figure one solid day at the shop and i will have the bed smoothed and primed. If there was more room id do it now but im shooting for next weekend to have the whole bed done and ready and the doors and fenders finished primed and on. The cab corners done and im thinking if all goes well block it out and shoot it the week after. I guess i have the highlander or Max to drive if it snows so who knows how this will work.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

Start planning some armor so you don't have to go through this again!

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Forsure! Rust repair is on my list of things to never do again! i went to the shop and picked up my dads M6 so i can get it going and found rust! I think this was the summer of damage and the winter of rust!

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to 85xtracab
Rust?!?!?! I dont see any rust anywhere on that thing

86 Xtracab

Matt.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Theres not much but the passenger bed side has a bunch and the drivers side has one spot. it sat in the sun for 3 years and i guess the passengerside saw more sun or something cause thats the side that rotted away. i just want it to stop before it gets any worse.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Good research Thread Russ! You need to show me how to fix my body damage (and fix it right!!)

BTW have you submitted 2 pics to the YT calander thread? There were a few in here that would be awesome!

http://www.yotatech.com/f121/yotatec...t-16-a-123553/

Especially these 2!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
Good research Thread Russ! You need to show me how to fix my body damage (and fix it right!!)

BTW have you submitted 2 pics to the YT calander thread? There were a few in here that would be awesome!

http://www.yotatech.com/f121/yotatec...t-16-a-123553/

Especially these 2!

The top one i had up first but pulled it cause i thought the water one was better. anyways you can use any of them in my album let me know if you cant see everything and i will fix it.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 02:13 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Russ... I'd use the two I posted above. They are very artsy and stand a much better chance of getting picked than the water one. (Though I do like the water one) But peeps are gonna vote for unique and original pics...

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Cool let me know what happens. What could i win?lol

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

ok got the welder back today and gotta warm up on the welding again so i can do the bimmer....gives me an excuse to do the bedside. pics coming soon.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 AM
In Rememberance

And share the weldng love... with the H.O.W. dammit

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ok so i have been slackin on the building and have been wheeling Lexi to the ground. shes broken now so shes going to come back inside and be worked on.

This winter,SAS gears locker for the front and the rest of the already planned stuff. Im going to fit the roll bar this weekend if all goes well.

I dont know if the SAS will happen pre moving but it would be nice..if not i will hold off so i can use it to move.

The plan
Trailgear IFS kit with 5inch leafs. I wanted to go lower but im keeping the 36's just going to replace them with new ones and it will be needed for the tires and minimal cutting. Im planning on using a stock housing from a pre85 for a while and eventually going to a cutom housing at the point i do the longs and locker. Being winter and only having a RWD slammed car to drive once i move its gotta move in the snow even if its open and stock front axle. I will update what i do this week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode