Project: So you thought you could do it cheaper eh? Bumper Build - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Project: So you thought you could do it cheaper eh? Bumper Build

The title is to reflect the irritation I feel when morons get online and bash vendors for charging a lot for custom work.

This is Phase 1. Basically structure. Some cosmetic grinding, but mostly just tacking, fitting, and solid-welding the whole thing.

I'm reusing my old trailer hitch brackets. They are 1/4 plate, and already custom cut and drilled to my frame. Plus, they have been super reinforced.

The main beam, lower wing plates, and forward brackets are all 3/16. The top wing tubes are 1/8 because i couldn't find 3/16 in the size tube I wanted. I'm confident it is strong enough. The tabs going to the frame brackets on the bumper are 3/8" uneven angle. Again, I wanted 3x6, and that was the thinest I could get.

The frame brackets are held on with 4, 1/2" G8 bolts, the bumper is held onto the frame brackets with 4 more, and the front wing support is bolted with the same.

I'm *hoping* I won't have any further embarrassing bumper issues. We'll see.

On to the pictures.

A DIY bumper kit?

Lining up the main beam. This was the most time consuming part. Measure, move, remeasure, move, measure, adjust...ad nauseum.

Finally got it straight. I also trimmed off the corners.

Tacked on the upper part of the wings...

Measuring for the wing-to-frame support, this table is pretty handy.

All tacked up, ready for welding. I bolted everything together to hold the bumper rigid to avoid warping. I also went VEERRRRYYYY SLLLOOWWWWLY to the point of irritation on my part. But, no warpage was worth it.

got scout?

Phase 1 complete....Fully welded.

Here is the Low down. I'm into this for 300 bucks so far. That is materials, and hardware. ONLY. That does not count the Miller welder, the cutting torch, the 200 dollar grinder, and the other butt loads of tools I used.

I have 16 full hours into this. And its not pleasant. Grinding, welding, taking this thing on and off to check fit, yeah, this is HARD WORK.

I figure another 8 into this to finish phases 2 and 3. They will be getting finished before AZ in mid Dec.

SOOOO, 24 hours to build this thing, figure a shop can do it in half the time. That's 12 hours. At a modest shop rate of 50/hr, you are looking at 600 bucks.

Which totals 900 dollars if they don't make any profit. Think about it before you bash vendors.

Anyway, enough soap box...

Phase 2 will be adding the receiver hitch (recovery), as well as the cosmetic welding. Phase 3 will be tail light hoops, and paint.

Stay Tuned....

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The fenders are getting cut back, so finished project will have bumper and fenders even.

I'm also torching off the lower portion of the frame brackets, so they don't hang down, like they are in the last two pics.

Generation Dead
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Are you inserting the receiver into the bumper so it doesn't hang any lower?

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

yes.

Generation Dead
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 AM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
So the 400$ I paid for this bad boy doesn't seem so bad is what you are sayin'...

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Hmmm, 400 for a whole truck? no not bad

J/K

Seriously though, not bad at all. I'll bet half of that was steel and hardware.

Generation Dead
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Hmmm, 400 for a whole truck? no not bad
Her truck used to be sexy and worth a lot until she started driving it.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Look whos talking

I owe you for that damn tough guy picture.

Generation Dead
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

I like that bumper man. I really like how you did the wings on the side.

Personally i would rather build something for my truck, even if i break even, or in my case most of the time spend more money. It gives me something to do and i can always point at it and say "i made that piece of junk"

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post

Personally i would rather build something for my truck, even if i break even, or in my case most of the time spend more money. It gives me something to do and i can always point at it and say "i made that piece of junk"
Thank you.

I agree with you, and have done 99.9% of the work on my truck myself.

My point is that building a bumper is hard work. Everytime I hear someone talk trash about a vendor charging too much for a custom bumper, I want to smack that person. Clearly, they have zero idea of how much it takes to build something like this.

I'm all for people building their own stuff, but if you can't, don't whine about the cost of someone doing it for you.

Generation Dead
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

With the steel you used. Did you have someone cut it when you bought it or did you cut it all yourself?

It seems like your material cost was a bit high. But thats just based on the material i have bought for my sliders and bumper. Together i spent 100bucks for material. But i guess grade 8 hardware isnt cheap either.

And never mind the thousands of dollars worth of tools that reside in my/your garage. I dont count them in the cost of the stuff i make. LOL But i will say that they have all paid for themselves.

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I agree too, but working with steel and welding is something I've never done. Thus I must pay dearly for someone else's skills...

Very nice Ike. Should be much beefier - you'll be able to bounce your truck off it!

1976 FJ40
2006 Tacoma *Sold*
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

i could build it cheaper!

lol sorry i couldn't resist. i hear ya on that one. so many people look at only the material and everything like and say someone is overcharging. I built my rear bumper and while it could have been better i know exactly what it is capable of and it is there to do exactly what i ask of it. the time i spent thinking about it and drawing it up far outmeasures what it would ever be worth even if a shop built it.

props to you. im a big fan of if you want something to build it yourself.... that way when it breaks the only bad things you can say is about yourself

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
With the steel you used. Did you have someone cut it when you bought it or did you cut it all yourself?

It seems like your material cost was a bit high. But thats just based on the material i have bought for my sliders and bumper. Together i spent 100bucks for material. But i guess grade 8 hardware isnt cheap either.

And never mind the thousands of dollars worth of tools that reside in my/your garage. I dont count them in the cost of the stuff i make. LOL But i will say that they have all paid for themselves.
It was pre cut, but no cut cost. paid by the foot. I do not include tools into the equation, but I do include the 70 bucks for grade 8 hardware, 40 bucks for griding disks, flap disks, and cut off wheels...I've gone through 4 cut off wheels, 2 grinder disks, and a flap disk, and i still have phases 2 and 3 to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
i could build it cheaper!

lol sorry i couldn't resist. i hear ya on that one. so many people look at only the material and everything like and say someone is overcharging. I built my rear bumper and while it could have been better i know exactly what it is capable of and it is there to do exactly what i ask of it. the time i spent thinking about it and drawing it up far outmeasures what it would ever be worth even if a shop built it.

props to you. im a big fan of if you want something to build it yourself.... that way when it breaks the only bad things you can say is about yourself
Absolutely. That is exactly how I feel.

I know a shop could probably go quicker, and be as nice or nicer, but there's something to be said for building a truck 100% (or almost) yourself.

I've done all but one mod on this truck myself, which was the initial gear install. Yeah, my truck isn't the nicest truck on the trail, nor is it the most built, but what built it is, I did, and that is what its about for me.

Generation Dead
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

LMFAO. i Have a similar bumper paid 150 for it I have a 15 dollar grinder and some 2 dollar cutoff wheels/grinding wheels. For 200 you coulda had the same bumper

2007 Toyota Super Taco
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Mayhem View Post
LMFAO. i Have a similar bumper paid 150 for it I have a 15 dollar grinder and some 2 dollar cutoff wheels/grinding wheels. For 200 you coulda had the same bumper
Hardy har har...Very good wise guy...LOL

Generation Dead
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Nice bumper! I'm planning on building F&R bumpers sometime this winter / early spring.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Hardy har har...Very good wise guy...LOL

Yeah just given you chit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
Nice bumper! I'm planning on building F&R bumpers sometime this winter / early spring.
Have tires yet?

2007 Toyota Super Taco
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcom View Post
Thanks Man!

Generation Dead
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Phase 2 Complete, Phase 3 Started

Update:

Nice enough day, though my toes still froze even with two pair of socks.

Got the hitch hole cut, the hitch tube drilled, with a minor hicup. Welded fully, with AWESOME penetration. The hicup occurred when I was super stupid, and bought the wrong sized drill bit, the bit I bought being too small. So, after much walleyeing, the pin will now slide into the hitch with zero issues. It was frustrating though, since the drill almost ripped my hands off on more than one occasion.

I also got the corners lopped off at a 45 deg angle, and capped, though there was some issue with grinding too much off on the driver side, so now I have a little dimple. Gotta fill it still.

I ground everything pretty smooth, and got the tops of the mounting tabs ground so my cosmetic strip (fills the gap between the tailgate and the bumper) will fit properly.

Now, for the million dollar question:

I'm looking at putting the tailpipe routed through the bumper. Basically, I have my exhaust cut off under the truck, and wired up to the driver side frame rail.

I am considering cutting a hole in the driver side wing, and welding a small exhaust coupler (found at every auto parts store ever) into the hole. I will then connect the hard pipe to the coupler via some flex tubing.

Heres what I like: It gets the exhaust out of the way, and protected (can't tell you how many times I've crushed it before).

Heres what I don't like: I'm worried about carbon residue getting all over my nice bumper (vain, I know). I'm also concerned about it not being symmetric (even more vain). I want it to look good in addition to being functional.

So, opinions?

On to the pics! Sorry there aren't many of the various steps. I was under a pretty good crunch to get this done before the sun set. Normally, I keep the camera outside with me, and I can snap a few here and there, but it was cold enough that the camera kept telling me the batteries were dead, even though they were brand new, so I had to keep it inside. I was only able to get a couple.

__________________________________________________ ________

Cutting the hitch hole

Leveling the hitch out.

Welded in front and back. Front pictured

Finished with phase 2. Sitting on garage floor waiting to be loaded for the trip to Boulder.

Close up of front of hitch.

Corners cut. Purely cosmetic, but I was trying to make it look a LITTLE less like a box.

Backside of the hitch.

Generation Dead
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Her truck used to be sexy and worth a lot until she started driving it.
LMAO, good stuff

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Addicted Offroad
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Forgot about this.

So, for those who didn't see, It was finished. I won't bore with details.

All done:

Generation Dead
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Very nice!

2000 4Runner.

3rd gen 4runner fuel tank skidplates http://lilskipsoffroad.wordpress.com/
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 02:59 PM
Ric

Issac,
many props to you, for doing this yourself, and setting the record straight, I also hate when people bash vendors, saying they are crazy to charge that much, they never stop to think of the time, parts, and overhead.
Looks pretty good, cant wait to see it action.
keep the rubber side down.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Issac,
many props to you, for doing this yourself, and setting the record straight, I also hate when people bash vendors, saying they are crazy to charge that much, they never stop to think of the time, parts, and overhead.
Looks pretty good, cant wait to see it action.
keep the rubber side down.
Thank you.

Absolutely. There is NOTHING wrong with doing things on one's own. I can't afford to pay someone. And learning while working on a truck is priceless in itself.

However, in simple money terms, this set me back about 400 bucks, with supplies and steel. I chose to get it powdercoated, but it could have been done more cheaply. Which puts me at 500.

I am a complete newb fabricator, and I wouldn't go NEAR something like this for someone else for under 1200-1500 bucks. It wouldn't be worth my time. As far as I'm concerned, the prices people are paying for quality custom work are complete bargains.

Getting a steel bumper to be strong, AND look really good is an art form. There is a reason those pictures are taken from a distance- you can't see all the imperfections. Is it strong as hell? You bet. It could look nicer.

Generation Dead
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

I like the looks of the hoop! oh, the rest of it doesnt look bad either. great work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

this bumper got some good action on saturday. its sturdy as can be, and tugs like a champ. good work isaac.

search before doing anything, even farting, or people will shove that fart so far up your ass, your burp will smell like shit.

96 Tacoma SX 2.7 5spd, bone stock on 31's.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode