Project: Cheap Sliders - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Project: Cheap Sliders

I picked up $75 worth of steel from K&K Surplus on Saturday. Including welding supplies, I'm looking at about $100 total for these things. Not bad, if you ask me. So today, I decided to get started. I don't have gas for the welder currently, so all that I could really do was design, plan, and cut on Easter Sunday. Here's what I got accomplished:

All of that was pretty easy stuff...but these caps for the ends took me some time:

I started to do more weld prep with the grinder, but then decided I was too tired after one leg:

Here they are next to the truck:

I have some more steel to do something like this, after I have the main part together:

Yes, it may look a little goofy, and may or may not serve a neccesary purpose...but I like the idea of cab protection....Doors can be replaced easy...Cabs not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 PM

Looks good. Great Idea also.
post #3 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Nice work, Kyle. Those are sick. Can't wait to see the final product. I had no idea you could get something together for that cheap. Great work. I am sure others are gonna be knocking on your door for help building some of those.

Black quad cab TRD, moded inside and out, locked up on 35's, capable of getting there and back.

post #4 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
they sell cab corners that are easily replaceable...

but keep the protection there anyway

they look like they arent going to be far enough out? I know my sliders sit out about a good 3" past the pinch weld.
post #5 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

I HIGHLY recommend a dual rail setup, one directly under the pinchweld, one further out. The problem is that you end up with a lot of localized pressure from the legs into the pinchweld with just the single rail, and will end up damaging the cab (albeit, a lot better than what the rocks will do).

Your angled supports are too small. The heat from the weld will be too localized on the frame. At the very least, you need some triangular gussets to go between the top of the leg and the frame, otherwise you will be beating them down like we have to do with Molly's.

Don't go too cheap - you will have a lot of time in it when it's all said and done, and you don't want to have to do it again.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #6 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

like troy said the dual rail setup is much better. mine (bought from wabfab) I had to cut the legs to fit and get them welded up. but keeping one of the rails under the pinch weld will distribute the weight of the body on the entire length instead of just at the legs. that way, when they get knocked up (that sounds dirtier than intended) they dont imbed themselves in your body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #7 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well I don't have another rail, and I fail to see how it would help as long as the single rail is secure to the frame. When I mocked mine up, I could get the legs about 1/4" below the pinchweld...Unless some serious bending of my 3/8" thick tubing goes on, or a weld breaks, it shouldn't happen. I suppose I could put a thick piece of rubber inbetween the legs and the pinchweld, to close that 1/4" gap, to relieve any pressure it may get..

I was thinking about going dual rail last night, and thought that I might get some tubing bent for an outer rail...but that just doesn't seem to benefit anything other than somewhat of a kickout and a step?

Troy - I can easily make some gussets....so gussets it is for the supports.

Nate - Currently, my legs end just about an inch outside of the pinchweld. So with 2 5/8" square tubing that's over 3" outside the pinchweld.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody....but I'm going forth with what I have...plus some gussets. When I get it tacked together, and mocked on to the truck, I'll take some pictures before final welding to see what everybody thinks.
post #8 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:48 AM

I think it looks good man. They are going to work great and you can't beat 100 bones. you can always add to them later
post #9 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, Kyle, don't believe us.

They WILL move. Even if the legs were solid, it would move.

I reserve one "I told ya so". Hope I don't need it...

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #10 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Your angled supports are too small. The heat from the weld will be too localized on the frame. At the very least, you need some triangular gussets to go between the top of the leg and the frame, otherwise you will be beating them down like we have to do with Molly's.
I totally agree with this statement! You will want gussets, and your L brackets will not reach high enough on the frame to do so as they are know.

If i were to do mine again i would have made my L brackets a bit diffrenet. I have plan jane L brackets that are welded straight up the frame, i have heard that this is bad and that i may have some frame fatigue problems in the future. I have heard that a diamond shape on the frame would have been better.

Also as far as gussets i would not just put a flat piece of stock in the middle of your leg and then up to the frame, i would (did) use 2x2 cut in triangles and then notched to fit the legs. The middle of the leg is the weakest piece of that part, so instead of doing what a gusset should do, its really not going to do anything at all other than dimple the leg where it is attached. (if you had round legs a single gussett in the middle of the leg would work, square stock all it does is look good and take more work to complete)
I dont have a good pict of the under side of my truck, but if you look at the sliders here you will see my gussetts.

(please disregard the rust on them, i never painted it after mounting them, so now i have to go back and fix that.....one of these days)

And yes they move a bit, but not much more than maybe at most an 1/8" (I bet its closer to a 1/16). I have had the full weight of my truck on my driver side slider. No defelction and i slid down about 3' before hitting the slider at damn near full speed. Strong gussetts = little to no movement.

the second outer bar......You can always add an outer bar in the future, i will if i ever decide it needed.

In any case props to you for making them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep going, you will have changes and changes but in the end you will be super happy with what you have created!!!!!

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
I reserve one "I told ya so". Hope I don't need it...
x2 but ill help ya then when you need to fix em.

Quote:
Quote:
post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfreak1234 View Post
x2 but ill help ya then when you need to fix em.
If he builds the gussetts right he wont get much movement.

So he might be able to reserve a couple "i told you so's" for you two!

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

Last edited by Mythica; 03-24-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: had to add my smiley . i ahd forgotten it :)
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

we'll see maybe your right.

Quote:
Quote:
post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well I will have gussets, so I'm not ignoring what you're telling me completely. And I appreciate the advice. It's not that I don't believe you. In fact I do believe that they would move....but I going to build them to the best of my abilities to make sure that they don't, with the materials I have. Several things on my truck have been somewhat of an experiment that was ill-advised by others, that turned out great anyway. You can say I told you so, or I can say I told you so....but it just doesn't really matter, because I have faith in my design.
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member

I have faith in your design as well!

They will look good when you are done and they will hold the weight of your truck too.

Did you say you are using 3/8" thick tubing? or 3/8" L's?

From the looks of your brackets you could turn them 90* and use the longer leg up the frame and the shorter leg on the bottom. If that will work it would allow more room for your gussetts too.

I also see some left over scrap in your picts, you could use some of that to make the full gussetts i was speaking of. (im sure you dont want to buy more steel if you used it all up already, but you might try the steel supplies cut off ben, sometimes they have some loose stuff that will work.) I wish i was closer i have a bunch of 2x2 drop offs that would work for fat gussets.

Good Luck!!!!!

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Nice I was about $60 into mine seeing as I had scrap steel and fully stocked welding supplies

2007 Toyota Super Taco
post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TowerRigger
It's not the steel that you're putting on the truck that will flex. It's the frame itself that will flex. The frame really isn't made to have that sort of leverage put on it. In most cases it handles it well enough. But sometimes when you really get to banging your truck around the sliders will move. I have Domello DIYs. They have very good frame plates and gussets, and my truck still has little half moon dents in the pinch weld from the tubing coming in contact with the cab. Try the single tube. You can always add another tube later. I think in the long run it would be easier just to make it double tube from the get go though. Not shitting on you. Just advice and constructive criticism. You're doin' good kid.

Is IFS something you can get penicillin for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks View Post
You flew too close to the sun on wings of whiskey, my friend.
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
ike
Veteran Member

cant beat the price that you are getting these put together for though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

i personally only have the single rail sliders, and im going to be plating the whole under side (from the rail to the frame) with at LEAST 1/8th" plate, ideally 1/4" so i have something to slide on, plus i figure it'll help with support. (after i gusset the legs of course)
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
ike
Veteran Member

Nate, that is going to add alot of weight that may not really be needed. i like the theory behind it though, as they will also offer way more protection.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #21 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92regcab View Post
i personally only have the single rail sliders, and im going to be plating the whole under side (from the rail to the frame) with at LEAST 1/8th" plate, ideally 1/4" so i have something to slide on, plus i figure it'll help with support. (after i gusset the legs of course)
Same as me.

I think i will do mine and add Dimple dies for power

2007 Toyota Super Taco
post #22 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Nate, that is going to add alot of weight that may not really be needed. i like the theory behind it though, as they will also offer way more protection.
meh, it probably wont be TOO much weight, 40-45lbs additional each side. Im not sure if i'll go all the way into the frame with it yet however, still kinda throwing around ideas.
post #23 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well a little snag in progress. I don't have the welder any more and likely won't be getting it back...in fact I don't really want it back...even though I bought all kinds of supplies for it...long story, but anyway, I might see if I can spend some savings for my very own welder. Until then, the steel sits...
post #24 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

That sucks.. If you can rock a stick welder and have enough space for a refrigerator you can buy my machine for 75 bucks so I don't have to cart it home.

Quote:
post #25 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

If you come down to the springs you can use mine. It is a 110v but works great. I built mine with it and had no issues. If your supplies don't work no worries I have my own.

2007 Toyota Super Taco
post #26 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

bump post #24

Quote:
post #27 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to OFRD_GRL Send a message via Yahoo to OFRD_GRL
Dude, all we asked is that you replaced what you used.

IE> blade on the chop saw that you burned through and gas on the welder. and if you burned through alot of wire, that rich had enough left to use for his job this week whether that meant replacing it if you used it all, or leaving enough for him (and he told you how much he needed left).

We helped you for alot of time (basically gave up a whole saturday for you... and came out sunday while it was snowing and chitty and i was sick to make sure you got it finished and didnt have to hear it from your parents) without asking anything in return. Other than the decency of replacing our supplies used on your truck. We even bought you dinner Saturday night.

I didn't think that was a big deal....
as far as "all kinds of supplies" it takes wire and gas to weld..... well, and a power outlet....

and i know you couldn't get the gas.. so that leaves wire. which we don't need if you didn't kill the spool on there already.

and once again, your welcome for the help........... even though it didn't seem much appreciated.
post #28 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerRigger View Post
That sucks.. If you can rock a stick welder and have enough space for a refrigerator you can buy my machine for 75 bucks so I don't have to cart it home.
do you have pics of that thing?
post #29 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFRD_GRL View Post
Dude, all we asked is that you replaced what you used.

IE> blade on the chop saw that you burned through and gas on the welder. and if you burned through alot of wire, that rich had enough left to use for his job this week whether that meant replacing it if you used it all, or leaving enough for him (and he told you how much he needed left).

We helped you for alot of time (basically gave up a whole saturday for you... and came out sunday while it was snowing and chitty and i was sick to make sure you got it finished and didnt have to hear it from your parents) without asking anything in return. Other than the decency of replacing our supplies used on your truck. We even bought you dinner Saturday night.

I didn't think that was a big deal....
as far as "all kinds of supplies" it takes wire and gas to weld..... well, and a power outlet....

and i know you couldn't get the gas.. so that leaves wire. which we don't need if you didn't kill the spool on there already.

and once again, your welcome for the help........... even though it didn't seem much appreciated.
Okay, first of all, all of that stuff was replaced...and I have it all sitting and waiting for you. Second, I offered to pay for my meal, plus much of your time. You declined. I gave you money later anyway, that was well over what dinner was... Then I replaced all of your supplies. I have a brand new spool of .030 wire, still in the box. I bought a blade for my shit...but then I bought another one that hasn't even been put on yet, just for you. That shit isn't cheap. I haven't touched your damn welder. I've only put money into it. I was even going to make sure that Rich had a full tank of CO2 for his project. So I drove all the way down to the place that he wanted it done. Lots of money spent in gas to get there. Damn...they won't fill it. So I talk to Rich, and get pissy messages from him. If you can't talk THEN DON'T ANSWER YOUR PHONE! Fine. Couldn't get the gas...but at least I got everything else. Rich should be appreciative, right? WRONG! What the hell did I do wrong? It seems to me I made every effort to repay you, and do something nice for you, only to have Rich get pissy with me for asking him a couple questions on what exactly he wants.

Also, I was very appreciative of your help. That was great, and I certainly couldn't have done it without you. Thank you, very much. Now what else can I do to make it up to you?

And when are you getting this thing out of my garage?:
post #30 of 102 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

This isn't a pic of the actual welder but the new model that replaced the one I have. The new one has a few more fancy dewdads but is essentially the same. I just couldn't find any pictures of my welder on the web because the thing was probably made before pictures were invented.jk It is a Lincoln Idealarc though. They have been a staple of industrial welding since the 50's (that's probably when mine was made). This thing can burn some metal! The reason why mine is so cheap is because the DC side of the welder is burned out. Only the AC side functions. But for every day welding it will perform well. You can crank this baby up to 300 amps and weld some railroad track together.lol Downside is you can't do exhaust or bodywork with it. 75 bones wadda ya say kids?

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode