Deflators...no...wait...inflators - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Deflators...no...wait...inflators

I am currently in the market for some tire deflators. I have been on a few runs and have had to borrow deflators lately. I didn't realize the advantage of deflating until recently, since I kind of stopped wheeling for a bit, but now that I am more knowledgeable and addicted again, need to pony up and get my own. I have been doing lots of research, but am still not completely sold on any particular one. I am kind of leaning toward the powertank monster valve & deflator kit, but they aint cheap and require wheel modification. I have read a lot of posts from the national board, this one had some good info in it.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ight=deflators

Before I found the above thread, I read Parks comparison:

http://www.parksoffroad.com/prodrevi...flatormain.htm

Since I currently don't have an air tank system to air up faster the Powertank monster valve kit is appealing. I assume I could get an air tank system for quick airing up after the run, but then I have to charge it so often. Since I do have a compressor I don't mind taking the time. But if I remember correctly some people switched to air tanks after realizing how much slower there compressor was.

Any one ever tried the monster valve system?

You think just some decent deflators and an air tank are the way to go for easy deflate and inflate.

I know Isaac suggested I just get some Stauns. I think Don said the el cheapo's work fine for him. Maybe I am contemplating too much or wasting too much time on the internet at work. I mean this is legal research, I can bill out for this.

Just kind of curious. Not that I can afford any at this moment, but payday is Friday.

And I did a search here and nothing came up for tire deflators, so thought we needed some info on this here.

Black quad cab TRD, moded inside and out, locked up on 35's, capable of getting there and back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

the Parks Offroad test is THE definitive review of the various options.

IMHO, the speed is overrated. We sit around and BS enough that you'll be there long enough anyways! Actually, the Monster's are almost TOO fast - you will miss all the BS'ing because you will have to watch them constantly.

I use the Sun Performance ones, cheap and you can do all 4 tires at the same time, making it pretty efficient. The downside is they aren't set (you have to watch them).

I would like the Stauns or Oasis, but they are SPENDY. (That bastard AxleIke got his for free - bum)

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, yes I did.

I like mine. When I'm in a hurry, I simply screw them on, and start driving. There is always a hang up on the first obstacle of any trail, so I just take them off then.

Stauns are more consistent than the Oasis, as a buddy has those. Oasis are FAR easier to set.

In the end, I like the oasis. Even if one tire is a pound or so off of the other ones, I like the ability to judge the run the night before, spend 3 minutes readjusting, and then be able to air down to the pressure I like.

With the stauns, you have to flatten down your spare to the pressure you want, and then set all of the stauns. Not too bad, but more involved. Also, not something you can really do at at trail head.

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I think having them set would be nice. Cause I swear I did like 5 walk arounds checking them last week.

Even before I did the research on deflators I was checking out this system:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/4air.shtml

Although I had looked at this a year ago, Russel also mentioned building a ghetto version of this, the first time I ran Carnage.

Black quad cab TRD, moded inside and out, locked up on 35's, capable of getting there and back.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Also, what are you talking about, spendy? They're like 60 bucks. If you were some poor college student trying to get by, thats a whole lot of beer. You've got more hardware than you know what to do with.

I'd say you're just a cheapskate.

Generation Dead
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Taco_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Taco_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
the Parks Offroad test is THE definitive review of the various options.

IMHO, the speed is overrated. We sit around and BS enough that you'll be there long enough anyways! Actually, the Monster's are almost TOO fast - you will miss all the BS'ing because you will have to watch them constantly.

I use the Sun Performance ones, cheap and you can do all 4 tires at the same time, making it pretty efficient. The downside is they aren't set (you have to watch them).

I would like the Stauns or Oasis, but they are SPENDY. (That bastard AxleIke got his for free - bum)
After seeing this thread I just ordered a set of the Oasis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Also, what are you talking about, spendy? They're like 60 bucks. If you were some poor college student trying to get by, thats a whole lot of beer. You've got more hardware than you know what to do with.

x100

Mike
2007 Tacoma v6 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD D-Cab
Donahoe Coilovers, All-Pro 3" Rear Lift w/Walker Evens, Demello Sliders, Locker Mod , 4 Rock Lights

To-Do
All-pro Plate Bumper, Custom Rear Plate Bumper, Custom Tire Rack ( must use bed rails ), Mount CO2, Repair Rock Lights.

Quote:
If you use them for lift, and wheel hard, you will crap steering parts like your truck ate a tierod/idler arm combo burrito at Casa Bonita.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yes, and I want $60 MORE hardware to not know what to do with!

(and I seem to recall you saying that you wouldn't have spent that if they weren't free ... bastahd)

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:34 AM

I just have those screw on deals. Screw them on and things start de-flating. Then I run around and around with the pressure gauge and try to catch them when they're exaclty what pressure I want them at. Which isn't impossible, but I do look like a dog trying to decide which tire to pee on.

I use CO2 to air up. And yes molly, I finally have my own!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, and I want $60 MORE hardware to not know what to do with!

(and I seem to recall you saying that you wouldn't have spent that if they weren't free ... bastahd)
Fact.

Although, now, maybe not. At the time, for sure. But I do love them. And they were free. So

Generation Dead
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

I think I could get me some valve core removers from work....Just unscrew it a bit...same thing... I'll look into it tonight.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:17 AM
ike
Veteran Member

just make sure you can get the things back in and sealed or you will have a little problem on your hands.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM

Here are the thingies I use:
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

I use the thread-on deflators found at any given auto parts store. They're $2 each, and you have to remove them to check the pressure, but they work great. I use just two of them, and air down one side of the vehicle at a time. I couldn't ask for a better setup: cheap+effective=practical.

Quote:
Aren't you a Regional Manager AND a little bitch?
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
As yet unnamed '03 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
I think I could get me some valve core removers from work....Just unscrew it a bit...same thing... I'll look into it tonight.
Make sure you try it in your parking lot first. It's very difficult to get a valve core just a little way out without it flying away in a burst of tire air, then it's very difficult to put them back in as air is rushing out of the tire. I wouldn't recommend this technique.

Quote:
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Every time anybody brings up deflators, I try to peer-pressure them into buying these:
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...t_detail&p=381

That's right, it's a $400 set of deflators. If you bought these Alex, I would just make fun of you anyway. ....then ask to borrow them.

Quote:
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetacoma View Post
I use CO2 to air up. And yes molly, I finally have my own!
So Now I can borrow yours cuz my tank isn't always reliable... LOL

But seriously troy and I figure we can get about 5 full air ups from 12 PSI to 35 PSI on 35" tires with a 10 gallon C02 Tank swaped out at a reputable place (General Air or Wagners Welding)

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks View Post

That's right, it's a $400 set of deflators. If you bought these Alex, I would just make fun of you anyway. ....then ask to borrow them.
I saw those. The price is just ridiculous. I don't think I could even bring myself to order those. I like nice stuff, but that is just retarded.

About a week ago I almost bought some Stauns deflators, which is when I read the Parks Campirison. I wanted to do more research after that article. As I contemplated it more and more, and that fact that I was much slower at filling my tires up Sunday. I thought maybe those monster valves are the way to go. Especially if I was gonna get deflators that were 60, why not spend the extra money now. But more and more that I am thinking about it. El cheapo's seem to be the more practical way at this time and use the money to pick up some chains and other gear I need more. I still may get the Stauns though. But at least I am leaning away from the whole valve system and have a better idea of which ones to get. Hence the reason I started this thread.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't really know how much I can get... but only having 32s helps!

There's a beer shop in the Table Mesa shopping center (right near Trepke) that will fill tanks. I'd rather fill than swap.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firetacoma View Post
I don't really know how much I can get... but only having 32s helps!

There's a beer shop in the Table Mesa shopping center (right near Trepke) that will fill tanks. I'd rather fill than swap.

See yeah I'm a swapper. I don't have a power tank so I don't care what I get - as long as it works. But I understand your POV too...

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 02:11 PM

I don't have a powertank either. I have whatever Chris made me from Toytec. A tank and a beverage regulator. Was cheap and works great. But I like my nice clean tank... not whatever garbage they wan't to exchange. When the hydro-stat date gets close I'll go to a trade-in place so I don't have to worry about it. I think it's 5 years for aluminum (at least it is for FD tanks if I am remembering right).
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks View Post
Every time anybody brings up deflators, I try to peer-pressure them into buying these:

OK, what the hell!?
10-20 for the cheapies, ok... $60 for some preset ones, I can buy that... $100 for the 4air, sure, slick setup I get it.. but $400?!?! what's the justification? Do the mow the lawn when not being used? dishes? laundry? sexual favors? there's got to be something to justify that kind of price.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Taco_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Taco_Man
Quote:
OK, what the hell!?
10-20 for the cheapies, ok... $60 for some preset ones, I can buy that... $100 for the 4air, sure, slick setup I get it.. but $400?!?! what's the justification? Do the mow the lawn when not being used? dishes? laundry? sexual favors? there's got to be something to justify that kind of price.
UM YEA x2

Mike
2007 Tacoma v6 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD D-Cab
Donahoe Coilovers, All-Pro 3" Rear Lift w/Walker Evens, Demello Sliders, Locker Mod , 4 Rock Lights

To-Do
All-pro Plate Bumper, Custom Rear Plate Bumper, Custom Tire Rack ( must use bed rails ), Mount CO2, Repair Rock Lights.

Quote:
If you use them for lift, and wheel hard, you will crap steering parts like your truck ate a tierod/idler arm combo burrito at Casa Bonita.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to flyingwil
Quote:
OK, what the hell!?
Nope its $99. You only need one. They are pretty sweet deflators designed for the military. Unfortunately for me there is almost no mark-up on them and after the CC processing fee, I break even. I will do that for any good product, just to bring it to the market.

They are very similar to Staun's, however have a selectable dial that allows you to select your PSI. For example, on trail you have never been to before, you start off at 16 PSI, then you hit an obstacle where you need more traction and need to air down more than 16, you can just dial it in. With Stauns you can't do that since you set them up to your pre-set.

However it would be very nice if they did mow the lawn, do the dishes, laundry and sexual favors... but that's why I got a I wife... LOL!

Seriously not to trying to promote the product, but just educate you all on them. I carry Stauns and the Sun's like Firetacoma posted... then I have all my bases covered and under the $99 mark.

-Wil
Sierra Expeditions
The only regrets in life are the risks you didn't take.

My build up thread
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Tried my core removal thing. Works good. And it was free. And I never have to look for it, because it's screwed onto my front driver tire. Not sure what's so hard about it....you don't take it all the way out, just partway.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

You for damn sure better have spare valve cores with you Kyle!

They weren't kidding about them shooting out, and they're hard to find little suckers in the dirt!

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

I'll dig around at work in the pile of blown tubes...and steal me some valve cores...
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

That'll work!

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
In Rememberance

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwil View Post
However it would be very nice if they did mow the lawn, do the dishes, laundry and sexual favors... but that's why I got a I wife... LOL!
Excelent Info. (The deflators of course) Thanks for seeing this and adding some education!

If you can make em do the above quote I'll sell all my jewelry and get one!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwil View Post
Nope its $99. You only need one. They are pretty sweet deflators designed for the military. Unfortunately for me there is almost no mark-up on them and after the CC processing fee, I break even. I will do that for any good product, just to bring it to the market.

They are very similar to Staun's, however have a selectable dial that allows you to select your PSI. For example, on trail you have never been to before, you start off at 16 PSI, then you hit an obstacle where you need more traction and need to air down more than 16, you can just dial it in. With Stauns you can't do that since you set them up to your pre-set.

Seriously not to trying to promote the product, but just educate you all on them. I carry Stauns and the Sun's like Firetacoma posted... then I have all my bases covered and under the $99 mark.
The more I am reading about those, the sweeter they sound. So you think you could get by with just one? Get some el cheapo Suns or Teraflex ones to get you started then dial it in with a single Mil Spec and be set. Hmn...

Still sounds pretty rich.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Draw View Post
Tried my core removal thing. Works good. And it was free. And I never have to look for it, because it's screwed onto my front driver tire. Not sure what's so hard about it....you don't take it all the way out, just partway.
Riiiiggghhhht. Seriously, if you wanna go cheap, buy some $2.00 deflators from CARQUEST or any other parts store. You're gonna have a hellish time out on the trail trying to air your tires down uniformly by removing the valve cores. You're also gonna cross thread them and bung up your valve stem, and if your hands are cold, fuhgettaboutit.
I applaud your ingenuity and frugality, but there's a market for deflators for a reason dude.

Quote:
Great to hear from you Will. One of these days, I'm gonna buy one of those deflators from you. You've got one awesome rig, and a great business. Hey, do you sell a lot of those ViAir compressors? It seems like that's a very price-inflexible product. Everywhere you go they're expensive. But I sure do like 'em.

Quote:
Mr.Clean '03 Taco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode