it started with boredom - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to gr8goose82
it started with boredom

well i got really really bored today so i decided to switch my leaf springs out. the problem is that the 01 ext cab has leafs that aren't centered on the axle, and i didn't realize it til i was pretty far into it. the springs i'm putting on are off of mikes truck (i don't remeber the year but it's a newer one), and the mount up centered on the axle. i had to cut off one of the bolts on my springs and it's jammed into my bushing, so now i have to use the new springs. and after looking at it, i'm goingto have to make some mods to where the springs actually mount to my frame. i started tonight, but i'm at a stopping point til tomorow cause i need a new grinding wheel. i will take some pics tomorow and get them on here, but as for now, i've got to do this, mod some supports for my sliders/steps, and fix my front suspension to even up the rake. i think i ended up getting myself a bit to much into this one, but oh well, i've got nothing but time.

Once a Soldier, Always a Soldier

01 Taco TRD, 3' body lift, ProComp 9000's on all four, custom bumpers, custom paint, American Racing wheels, 33' ProComp X-Terrains, grey wire mod, and soon, my flag will be returned to the rollbar and bed.
Oh yeah, i got the funny looking spare tire holder, and the long ass whip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Lol I know how that feels, to suddenly be a tad bit in over your head. You'll get it. Good luck.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

i've got one side of the rear done now, and i'm gonna get the mounts done for the other side, but i don't want to drop the gas tank to weld there, it's not plastic, do you guys think i should drop it first, it just got filled yesturday morning.

01 Taco TRD, 3' body lift, ProComp 9000's on all four, custom bumpers, custom paint, American Racing wheels, 33' ProComp X-Terrains, grey wire mod, and soon, my flag will be returned to the rollbar and bed.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have a nice thick piece of sheet metal that you can shield it with?

Welding next to the tank makes me nervious, but its fumes that explode, so if its full you should be ok, i would shield it no matter what though.

Disclaimer: if it blows up i didnt give any advise

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Disclaimer: if it blows up i didnt give any advise
understood, i've got something to cover it with, plus i'll open the cap so no pressure can build up

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Please stay as a grumpy old limping man, not a grumpy old crispy fried man ok?

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

got it, i'm off, so if i don't post anything new before 6am, you can all come visit me at Skyridge medical center (it's almost right next door). wish me luck

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM
In Rememberance

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Oh that's where you are located? I hate that hospital. My sister was in Agony after her back surgery last December and they sucked in terms of care.... So for the love of pete don't do anything that will make you end up there!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

For god's sake DO NOT take the cap off! As mentioned above - the vapor is the problem, keep it in the tank if possible! The cap will vent if the pressure gets too high.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 05:28 PM

SECOND! If it's not too late, for the love of god leave the cap on!

Welder heats the gas, vents out the open cap, vapors are heavier than air, pool near your work area, BOOM. Seriously. Leave it on.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

i did it all just fine. i did leave the cap on while welding, i vented it about ten min before and then i vented it afterwards. i know that the vapor is the problem. but thanks for caring.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

heres a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4030149.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	13244  

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

how do i post pics but not as a thumbnail?

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously its tough to tell from the pics, so just asking, not trying to trash on you, but it looks like there is some gap in a few places, that would make me nervous.

But, like I said, hard to tell from pictures

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

on my own truck i could care less what my welds looklike, all i know is that i garentee they will hold up to anything you can throw at them. there might be a couple of gaps, but i cranked it up a bit and used 7014 sticks so i'm pretty confident in them. also i test everything i do on my truck with our machinery here and if need be i can always fix it before the truck ever leaves they property

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Nice. Didn't know you had testing facilities.

As long as it is a good weld, no worries. As I said, pretty tough to tell from the pictures.

Hope you like the lift.

Baby Beast- Mini Truck in progress

Generation Dead
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM
In Rememberance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8goose82 View Post
how do i post pics but not as a thumbnail?
You have to host the pic some place like shutterfly.com or photobucket (both free) and then you insert the image address between the image tags.

Like this:

[IMG] **http://yourpictureserverhere.com_Mat..._picture.jpg** [/IMG]

Does that help?

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Taco_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Taco_Man
I think flickr is free or you could just email them to me and I can serv them up for you. You know I do have a web server.

Mike
2007 Tacoma v6 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD D-Cab
Donahoe Coilovers, All-Pro 3" Rear Lift w/Walker Evens, Demello Sliders, Locker Mod , 4 Rock Lights

To-Do
All-pro Plate Bumper, Custom Rear Plate Bumper, Custom Tire Rack ( must use bed rails ), Mount CO2, Repair Rock Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
If you use them for lift, and wheel hard, you will crap steering parts like your truck ate a tierod/idler arm combo burrito at Casa Bonita.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Nice. Didn't know you had testing facilities.

As long as it is a good weld, no worries. As I said, pretty tough to tell from the pictures.

Hope you like the lift.
i got some stuff to play on. i also usually just use one of our loaders and pick it up, drop it a foot or two, really just beat it around a bit and make sure it all holds together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
You have to host the pic some place like shutterfly.com or photobucket (both free) and then you insert the image address between the image tags.

Like this:

[IMG] **http://yourpictureserverhere.com_Mat..._picture.jpg** [/IMG]

Does that help?
thanks i'll try it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_Man View Post
I think flickr is free or you could just email them to me and I can serv them up for you. You know I do have a web server.
i might send 'em to you, but i do need to know how to do it on my own at some point, so i'll try again, if it doesn't work, i'll let you know

thanks everyone

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

ok heres some pics

here's the right side copleted

here's how i did the rear hanger and shackle

here's the front hanger

and for those of you i know are dying to see how close i got to the tank

and yes, i did fix these welds, it just took some time cause i didn't want to get too much heat that close to the gas tank

now i need to get some longer shocks on the rear, and then do the front, my truck now has a five inch rake to it. oh well, it'll have to wait a bit, erins kind of mad i spent so much time doing this. wait til she sees it. i'll get a pic of the truck on here tommarow. the wheel wells in the rear now sit at 44 1/2 inch and the front is at 39

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TowerRigger
I've done lots of welding, grinding, and torching near gas tanks. I'm still waiting to be chunks of steak on the shop wall.

Is IFS something you can get penicillin for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks View Post
You flew too close to the sun on wings of whiskey, my friend.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 PM
ike
Veteran Member

i dont know if picking it up with a fork lift and dropping it is going to put the same amount of stress on the welds as wheeling will. you also have to think about the fact that this will see that abuse over alot of time, and this is a critical system for your trucks saftey on the road. I just dont know if i would be comfortable with having anyone but a shop do those welds at very least for liability reasons.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

the trucks insured and paid off so oh well, i need to get some longer shocks for it before i can really get it tested. my shocks are maxed and the leafs want to lift a little still. so once i get them in, i can really test it out

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

ok here's what the finished product looks like for all that want to see what i've done

i know, it's got a hell of a rake to it, but now "I HAVE TO DO THE FRONT". and in total after measuring today, it's got a 5 inch lift in the rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode