E-Locker Diff Skid - Page 4 - TTORA Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
well, another fabber bites the dust on this...o well.

bamf's plate seems to fit the bill for this type of skid and he's taken orders for over 50...good for him!
now we just need to see some writeups from the new owners to see how well they hold up to abuse.

I have found a local CNC cut/bender that can do my plate design in one pass for an awesome price so I may just order some and weld them up myself in my spare time in the off-season...haven't decided as yet. I'm also thinking of putting a DIY kit together.

At least somebody now has one on the market

I'm in for the DIY kit

Do not argue with a MORON, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Black Sand Pearl Tacoma 06 DC SB, TRD OR, 4X4, 6sp, Tow Pkg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
well, another fabber bites the dust on this...o well.

bamf's plate seems to fit the bill for this type of skid and he's taken orders for over 50...good for him!
now we just need to see some writeups from the new owners to see how well they hold up to abuse.

I have found a local CNC cut/bender that can do my plate design in one pass for an awesome price so I may just order some and weld them up myself in my spare time in the off-season...haven't decided as yet. I'm also thinking of putting a DIY kit together.

At least somebody now has one on the market
It dose seem to fit the bill I can't wait to see them getting beat to hell. I know I will beat the crap out of the one on my truck

I thought about doing a DIY kit but I cut and bend my skids in house and the bending is the time consuming part of my builds. Maybe down the road when i have a CNC press brake in the shop it would be worth it for me to offer a DIY kit.

hytenor your skid is pretty bad ass and if you do get that company to start cutting and bending for you I think you will be getting more orders then you think. No one really offers a skid "Until Now" that fully protects the rear diff for these trucks.
post #93 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
It dose seem to fit the bill I can't wait to see them getting beat to hell. I know I will beat the crap out of the one on my truck

I thought about doing a DIY kit but I cut and bend my skids in house and the bending is the time consuming part of my builds. Maybe down the road when i have a CNC press brake in the shop it would be worth it for me to offer a DIY kit.

hytenor your skid is pretty bad ass and if you do get that company to start cutting and bending for you I think you will be getting more orders then you think. No one really offers a skid "Until Now" that fully protects the rear diff for these trucks.
I hope you make a ton of $ with your stuff, keep it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear

post #94 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post
I'm in for the DIY kit
I would think a kit would do fairly well. I've got the design such that the skids will fit all 8" based Toyota diffs...all of them. And, there would only be slight differences to a 'kit' to make this work. I plan on having this local company make me up a few prototypes and I'll go from there...but not until this next spring.

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #95 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Does anyone have templates? I have access to a CNC might be able to make a DIY kit and sell it for cost.

1998 Tacoma TRD AWD. Lexus 4.7L 2UZ-FE. Lexus A750F 5 Speed Auto. SOLD...

2006 4Runner SR5 4WD. 4.0L V6 1GR-FE. 5 Spd Auto A750F. Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 884 (FRT). Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 895E (REAR). 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. BOVADS roof rack. Unitrol Siren w/ Code 3 100w speaker.
post #96 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ98TRD View Post
Does anyone have templates? I have access to a CNC might be able to make a DIY kit and sell it for cost.
no templates, just a pencil drawing for a 1-pc CNC cut/bend main plate. I can get them done pretty cheap locally but as I said...don't have time until spring.
cutting it out isn't the issue...the 9 bends is

Quote:
Quote:
post #97 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

When you get that online I would like one please.

1998 Tacoma TRD AWD. Lexus 4.7L 2UZ-FE. Lexus A750F 5 Speed Auto. SOLD...

2006 4Runner SR5 4WD. 4.0L V6 1GR-FE. 5 Spd Auto A750F. Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 884 (FRT). Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 895E (REAR). 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. BOVADS roof rack. Unitrol Siren w/ Code 3 100w speaker.
post #98 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 AM

So, I know this is an ancient thread resurrection, but wondered if I could get some insight on something...

I got this skid off a local guy, who said he got it off a rolled 3rd Gen 4runner in Vegas...

I love the design and extra coverage it offers over other production skids(budbuilt), as does almost anyone else who sees it!

It's quite apparent it's based off the same design as the one in the op, just not as high back or huge side block for the e locker...

So my question is this...

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Was the design plans ever made widely available, considering no one ever brought it to commercial production?

I'd like to help out a few friends with making some and even improve on the one I have, using a bit of the extras I've seen here.... but with this thick of steel, the last thing I want to be doing is cutting and recutting trying to figure out shape sizes if someone has them already listed and can share.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!
post #99 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Probably a one-off. There have been various designs over the years, but I've never seen this design in production.
post #100 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
Probably a one-off. There have been various designs over the years, but I've never seen this design in production.
Oh, I know it's a one off, that's for sure.

But the design is exactly like the one in the OP for its base design and so I'm hoping someone knows more about it, or has access to the design themselves in order to reproduce it for a couple friends?
@NorcalPR
@knoxtaco
@hytenor
post #101 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:55 PM
NorCal Chapter Pres

Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR
Yes, i still have the plans (i think, i may have to dig around) and hytenor gave me all the empty housings to make them. I made one for my truck last year

I was planning on making small runs of these, but nobody was interested. The problem is, i dont have access to a cnc plasma anymore, and would have to cut it by hand.

The good news is i made a press brake that allows me to build it in roughly 3 sections.

Its still a lot of work. I could also do something where i can do the cutout and bending, but thr welding and assembling can be done by you...

Made mine out of 3/16" and its plenty strong enough. Although, i did add some extra bracing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sparky of SoCal likes this.

Hi, my name is Phill, above are things I say
W6FTW

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
post #102 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalPR View Post
Yes, i still have the plans (i think, i may have to dig around) and hytenor gave me all the empty housings to make them. I made one for my truck last year

I was planning on making small runs of these, but nobody was interested. The problem is, i dont have access to a cnc plasma anymore, and would have to cut it by hand.

The good news is i made a press brake that allows me to build it in roughly 3 sections.

Its still a lot of work. I could also do something where i can do the cutout and bending, but thr welding and assembling can be done by you...

Made mine out of 3/16" and its plenty strong enough. Although, i did add some extra bracing.

I would be interested in a weldable version.
post #103 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 12:11 PM
NorCal Chapter Pres

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1490810774967.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	44930

Heres mine when i was working on it. I added and integrated an elocker motor skid, and i added a flatbar on either side from the ubolts to the front tip to prevent the front from tacoing. Note that unless you have a bit a lift, youll probably hit the gas tank, especially with the elocker motor skid. I also changed the design slightly. Instead of a hole to access the drain, i covered it completely. The skid does not lose any clearance, its still extremely tight to the botto, but You will have to take the ring around the drain plug on the housing, and shave it down to almost nothing.

Ill get some more pictures of the completed skid. As far as price goes, we'd be looking at about 200 or so unwelded.

W6FTW

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
post #104 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopypants View Post
So, I know this is an ancient thread resurrection, but wondered if I could get some insight on something...

I got this skid off a local guy, who said he got it off a rolled 3rd Gen 4runner in Vegas...

I love the design and extra coverage it offers over other production skids(budbuilt), as does almost anyone else who sees it!

It's quite apparent it's based off the same design as the one in the op, just not as high back or huge side block for the e locker...

So my question is this...

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Was the design plans ever made widely available, considering no one ever brought it to commercial production?

I'd like to help out a few friends with making some and even improve on the one I have, using a bit of the extras I've seen here.... but with this thick of steel, the last thing I want to be doing is cutting and recutting trying to figure out shape sizes if someone has them already listed and can share.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!
Ha, yea, one of mine from way back, LOL
wonder how it got there
I only made a few of these. Phil is in charge of them now.

and...Knox (OP) built it off my design

thinking back I think that one went on Mike's rig...4Runner.

Quote:
Quote:
post #105 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Attachment 44930

Heres mine when i was working on it. I added and integrated an elocker motor skid, and i added a flatbar on either side from the ubolts to the front tip to prevent the front from tacoing. Note that unless you have a bit a lift, youll probably hit the gas tank, especially with the elocker motor skid. I also changed the design slightly. Instead of a hole to access the drain, i covered it completely. The skid does not lose any clearance, its still extremely tight to the botto, but You will have to take the ring around the drain plug on the housing, and shave it down to almost nothing.

Ill get some more pictures of the completed skid. As far as price goes, we'd be looking at about 200 or so unwelded.

clearance loss is minimal whether you shave the drain ring or add the hole like the original...1/4"-3/8". For that loss you get to slide over all kinds of shit and just forget about the rear diff entirely

I think I still have that full-size plotter schematic that I made up from your CAD plans...somewhere...

Quote:
Quote:
post #106 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:37 PM
NorCal Chapter Pres

Yeah, the one thing i like is with the plug completely covered, it'll never loosen on its own

W6FTW

post #107 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Going John Galt

some FYI on this:
original idea was from 9th-degree (long since gone) used on the D44 Jeep rear and some front diffs. In '03-04 I called them asking about one for a Tacoma but was told they only do Jeeps. I then asked if they minded if I mod the design for Toyota and got the go ahead. My first prototype was on my truck for 5-6yrs and went through 3 revisions. Sold that and a couple others over the years.

Some 5+yrs back I got with another member here from the east coast who wanted to add this to his line of armor (Armortech?). He had a basic CAD plan drawn up and found a local CNC shop to make up one prototype. After market study and costing things out the price would have been too high to sell to the average owner so it got dropped.

I got with Phil a few yrs back and he did the CAD drawings based on my full size plans. Some tweeking to make one pan fit several models rather than several different pans I took the final to a local CNC shop who had the tools to make the basic 1-pc bent (9 bends) to shape but not welded. Again, cost became the problem as they needed a min of around 100 units to make it worth their while. Even then a DIY kit would have been priced well over $200 not including freight and a built/powdercoated unit close to $500. It got dropped again.

I gave Phil all my axle section build jigs (can make them for all Yotas to around '07) so it's his baby now.

Quote:
Quote:
post #108 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Yeah, the one thing i like is with the plug completely covered, it'll never loosen on its own

never had a problem with that. Some have gone to one of Marlin's hex wrench plugs but I've never had one of mine back out.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode