Sailn
Those look good. PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Army
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

would like a copy of the skid and bumper files, if you would please.

For Sale
https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170243
70 FJ40 motor/trans
Dodge D60 front
14blt
86 x-cab???
86 runner
87,88 runner chassis

http://www.yotaranch.com/home

needs:
33-34" tires for 15"
Coilovers
14blt Detroits
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

email sent

1995.5 Taco w/bunch o junk

post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 05:21 PM

Hello everyone. Been trying to make a bumper as well. Just started school and getting a hold of the drawings (dimensions) would help a lot obviously. I got access to everything so I can't wait to start.
PMed Sailntaco but if anyone has em that could help let me know thanks. Will make a thread when I start.
[email protected]
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:53 PM

Be careful making a bumper purely from drawings. Paper to fabbing isn't normally a perfect transition.

RAGE
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle N View Post
Be careful making a bumper purely from drawings. Paper to fabbing isn't normally a perfect transition.
Thanks for the heads up. I have a 2003 Tacoma so I'm being careful either way. I'm going to water jet out most of it using a cheap thin wood I can get for free and make adjustments from there
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Frenchtaco
Sorry I havn't gotten back to you but 'm at sea right now in the Canadian Arctic so the internet sucks and there is no WIFI/cell coverage. It took me 15min just to get this page loaded. I'll be back into coverage in a week or so and i'll try to get something sent to you. Kyle makes a good point and thats why i used 3/16'' cheap plywood from Home Depot for all my mock up. No need for waterjet or laser for that i just used a jigsaw, cordless drill and a pencil.

Patrick

post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail'n Taco View Post
Frenchtaco
Sorry I havn't gotten back to you but 'm at sea right now in the Canadian Arctic so the internet sucks and there is no WIFI/cell coverage. It took me 15min just to get this page loaded. I'll be back into coverage in a week or so and i'll try to get something sent to you. Kyle makes a good point and thats why i used 3/16'' cheap plywood from Home Depot for all my mock up. No need for waterjet or laser for that i just used a jigsaw, cordless drill and a pencil.

Patrick
Canadian Arctic sea... Sounds very interesting haha.

Well thank you for taking the time to respond in those conditions.
I have access to a waterjet at work so I figured it would go faster than doing it by hand!
I think PDF flat pattern or any cad file you have would be great. If its in 2d I can always make my own 3d file using that as a reference.
I cant wait to hear back from you.

Good luck with your adventures
Francois
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Yea we were taking cargo and mining supplies (including 10 shipping containers of dynamite) to a gold mine in Baker Lake, Nunavut. Google it. Its in the middle of no where.

All the drawings are in Autocad DXF 2007. I can and have sent out a drawings in other formats but dxf is easiest. I have the .stl 3D drawing for everything too. I'll send it out later today.

post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Yea we were taking cargo and mining supplies (including 10 shipping containers of dynamite) to a gold mine in Baker Lake, Nunavut. Google it. Its in the middle of no where.

All the drawings are in Autocad DXF 2007. I can and have sent out a drawings in other formats but dxf is easiest. I have the .stl 3D drawing for everything too. I'll send it out later today.
Hey man!!

Just to give you an update. Time flies. Converted my truck to 4wd. HAvent touched the bumper stuff.
Coworker started the build. I gave him the files. Did small mods to the DXF file because he will not be using a winch.

I'm super slammed in school right now but I'm putting all your 2d dxf files into solidworks and assembling it all in my own 3d assembly so I can do some custom mods before I cut it out.

Updates will take a long time cus I wont be free till december ish.
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchtaco View Post
Hey man!!

Just to give you an update. Time flies. Converted my truck to 4wd. HAvent touched the bumper stuff.
Coworker started the build. I gave him the files. Did small mods to the DXF file because he will not be using a winch.

I'm super slammed in school right now but I'm putting all your 2d dxf files into solidworks and assembling it all in my own 3d assembly so I can do some custom mods before I cut it out.

Updates will take a long time cus I wont be free till december ish.
Cool cool. Post some pics when you start building. Just pulled the bumper off after 2 years to overhaul the M8000. Since your modifying it already take a look at the clearance on the bolts that hold the winch down. On mine the front ones are a royal pain in the ass to get out. Its super tight. Other than that everything seems to be holding up well. Gotta modify the rear bumper mud flap attachment though. I've smashed those on rocks a bunch.

Anyone else build one of these yet?

Patrick

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Gave my coworker the files. He did some slight mods since he isn't running a winch.
Will post picture soon.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:22 PM

My coworker's truck is in red.
He did not want a winch so he made some small modifications. Shortened the top plate so it wouldn't stick out as much and put in some holes for his OEM signals.

Mine is the lunar mist truck. Right now I have it all in cardboard as I have changed some things from your design. I will go through with cutting it out soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6786.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	43986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6959.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	43994  
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Very cool! Glad you guys could make use of the CAD stuff as at least a basis for what you wanted.

post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Very cool! Glad you guys could make use of the CAD stuff as at least a basis for what you wanted.
Oh your files were a huge help.
I didn't have to spend all the time you did making sure the mounting locations and the top plate of the bumper would fit well.
That saved me a ton of time! Very appreciated.
I will build the bumper soon. Juggling school and a lot of things.
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:28 AM

Is it possible to get the CAD file from either Frenchtaco or Sail'n Taco. I have a laser here too that I would like to cut out a bumper for my truck.
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 02:27 AM

Garage
strange was clearing out my bookmarks when i came across this thread i had viewed a few months back the pics were shown now all i get is the photobucket 3rd party hosting b.s. anyone want to chime in i am loged onto a photobucket account

JAF
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 06:10 AM

photobucket now charges for 3rd party hosting. So if the pictures were put up before that happened, then the links appear dead.
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:47 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
The images are still on Photobucket. If you browse to the direct image URL, you can view the images.
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Yea sorry i just got the msg about photobucket the other day and havn't had time to fix it. Thanks photobucket you jerks!

Update.
Everything is still working well on the truck. Lots of winch pulls made and its been bumped and smacked into a bunch of stuff. Had to take the winch out for a rebuild a month back and that was a bit of a pain. If your building this just be careful about the level of the winch plate.
I would suggest to anybody building the skids to use cold roll steel plate. Mine was hot roll and has worked ok but i really slammed it down on the area right under the trans and there is a small dent. If your not on a super tight budget then get cold roll for all of these. Way nicer to weld and stronger.
Other than that it works great.

Patrick

post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM

Hey Patrick.

Like you know, I went off your design. Changed the outside of the bumper but kept the winch plate and mounting pretty much the same.
Here is a little FEA analysis I did on my free time. This is for a 10,000 lb pull.
The red zone indicates a displacement of .030". Which is very little.
In the strain plot using a36 steel, the bumper seems to hold up at the mounting holes. There is one red spot that goes over the yield strength, but I believe that's an issue with the meshing.

Anyways, when I get some more free time I'll keep playing with it.
Its good to hear that the winching has been going well as theres only so much computer can tell me lol.
I have the bumper done but it no winch on it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Displacement16k.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	46514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Strain10k.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	46530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8937.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	46538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8976.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	46546  
post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchtaco View Post
Hey Patrick.

Like you know, I went off your design. Changed the outside of the bumper but kept the winch plate and mounting pretty much the same.
Here is a little FEA analysis I did on my free time. This is for a 10,000 lb pull.
The red zone indicates a displacement of .030". Which is very little.
In the strain plot using a36 steel, the bumper seems to hold up at the mounting holes. There is one red spot that goes over the yield strength, but I believe that's an issue with the meshing.

Anyways, when I get some more free time I'll keep playing with it.
Its good to hear that the winching has been going well as theres only so much computer can tell me lol.
I have the bumper done but it no winch on it yet.
Whoa cool! I always wondered what FEA would say about the bumper. Idk much about how the program works though.
Want to do the same thing for the rear? I just towed a 12,000lb RV with a dead transmission 30 miles up a hill in Nevada.

Patrick

post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 08:21 PM

Cool design you have there. Anyway, any updates?
post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot4 View Post
Cool design you have there. Anyway, any updates?
Well it all still works pretty well. Winched lots with the front bumper without any issues but so far its only been pulling my truck up some steep rocky hills and easy pulls of smaller trucks out of mud. Only sorta issue is that its tight around the winch so its a bit of a pain to pull it out for maintenance.
Rear has been good. Its been dragged over lots of stuff. Glad i cut the 2" receiver at a 45 so it wouldn't hang up on rocks. Need to re do the mudflap supports a bit as i bent one on a rock drop off.
Skid plates continue to take a beating.

I've sent out maybe 12 sets of CAD files but i'm not really keeping track.

Patrick
Frenchtaco likes this.

post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 04:16 AM

Cc

Envoy de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 AM

Too bad, I can't see the pics anymore.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Nice,
I had to make some adjustments for the winch to fit.

I'm going to start on the skid plates. I remembered I have your files.
I think I might slightly modify them to mount like the bud bilt skid at the steering rack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode