Ocala, Oceola, Apalachicola Nat. Forest Map - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikeyk280 Send a message via Yahoo to Mikeyk280
Ocala, Oceola, Apalachicola Nat. Forest Map

Here is the PDF of the map posted in ONF near Rodman pit. Don't blink or you'll miss it. The 7-10 miles of trails that we rode I could have taken my sisters Toyota Echo driving with ease...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/loca...opp_mapjpg.pdf

Here is what I could find for Oceola, their map online isn't as good at the free one you get at the station, but it's not 100% accurate. And depending on the rain some of the marked forest roads are pretty much impassable without a snorkel or 35" + tires.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/loca...gmt%20area.pdf

Apalachicola... never been there... anyone want to chime in?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/loca...gmt%20area.pdf

I was looking at the two state forest sites that have OHV recreation listed and it's $50 for an annual OHV permit to legally ride on the trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

I hunt up in the apalachicola nat. forest. Mostly down in the in the southeast corner near Crawfordville and Sopchoppy. Our dad(me and Lee) lives up there so we go up every other month or so to visit and ride 4wheelers out there. There isn't much for wheeling as far as pits. A few good places to play in the mud, and if you just like trail riding and checking things out the place is huge with a lot of roads. We have only really been in a small portion of the place, so there could be some cooler stuff outside of the areas we hunt that we have not seen.

02 4x4 V6 5sp 3" Toytec lift 1" 4Crawler bl
32" Super Swamper SSR's
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I was reading about citrus WMA and you have to have a $50 OHV permit from what I read... do you know anything about that?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

No, I wasn't aware of that. Where did you see this at? There are no designated trails out at citrus, it's either an open road or it's closed. I figured if you have a legal tag, and are on the marked roads they couldn't say anything to you. I know last time I was out there, the game wardens where looking for some 4wheelers that had been going out there, but he said they are not suppose to be out there at all.

32" Super Swamper SSR's
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

http://www.fl-dof.com/forest_recreation/fees.html

look down at the OHV section... I think it's for atv's and motocycles but ya never know how they are going to bend the wording if they stop you somewhere...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

"Off Highway Vehicle Fees:

Motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATV's) are prohibited except at the Croom Motorcycle Area at Withlacoochee State Forest and at Tate's Hell State Forest OHV Trail System."
They are talking about croom. They have an area that you are allowed to go into with dirtbikes and 4wheelers. That is what the permit is for.

32" Super Swamper SSR's
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

ok, im confused, in ocala, what the hell r we allowed to use?

New Rig - 2007 Taco Silver Double Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad w/ auto tranny.
3 inch toytec with 885's, aal's, dif drop
Custom Bolt on Sliders
ARB bumper
265/75/r16 Cooper Discoverer STT on stock rim
Tacoma roofrack
Tacoma weather mats
Dealer Alarm System
2 55w cheapo reverse lights (work good though)

Former Rig - 95 4x4 sr5 4runner. 161000 miles
1.5 inch allpro offroad rear coil springs
grille guard with 2 50w lights(i dont wheel too much at night)
32x11.50 bfg mud terrains
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

about 76 miles of "mixed use" marked trails, or any marked forest road... The mixed use trails that were marked that we went down last month were WEAK. Just a sandy trail with some bumps. They succeeded in making trails that are so lame it's not worth the gas ride down... Which is pretty much what I think the goal was all along.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

damn, i guess the tacoma is never gonna see a true trail.

New Rig - 2007 Taco Silver Double Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad w/ auto tranny.
3 inch toytec with 885's, aal's, dif drop
Custom Bolt on Sliders
ARB bumper
265/75/r16 Cooper Discoverer STT on stock rim
Tacoma roofrack
Tacoma weather mats
Dealer Alarm System
2 55w cheapo reverse lights (work good though)

Former Rig - 95 4x4 sr5 4runner. 161000 miles
1.5 inch allpro offroad rear coil springs
grille guard with 2 50w lights(i dont wheel too much at night)
32x11.50 bfg mud terrains
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM

(i know its old, it applies though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeagain5789 View Post
ok, im confused, in ocala, what the hell r we allowed to use?
anything marked with a jeep symbol or numbered trails. it's quite a few. the designated 4wd route is marked with jeep symbols (no offense guys) and below are the maps/coordinates for it.

http://www.fl4wda.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1229358934

Quote:
Here are some files that may be of interest to those wanting to travel along the 4WD Route using a GPS. The route should be signed by early 2009 but the GPS files should keep you on the route.

I've tried to clean up the coordinates by removing redundant trackpoints yet left in some that might indicate other potential routes that may be there (not part of 4WD Way) so it may be of some use, maybe. Here are some new files.

South Section
South East Section
South West Section
North Section

Google Earth KML Files :

South East Section
South West Section
North Section

GPX Files (Garmin) :

South East Section
South West Section
North Section

UPT Files (Magellan) :

South East Section
South West Section
North Section
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to camogonewild Send a message via Yahoo to camogonewild
only if u knew some great places in citrus county u can run the with. state foerst some wash outs an some deep ruts lil mudd but i know place of extreme wheeling here but ur truck wont go unless locked front rears an str8 axles an alot of flex
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 06:34 AM

old thread, just wanted to chime in. there are hundreds of miles of trails in ocala. the 81 mile section named "Tread Lightly Four Wheel Drive Way" that the FL4WDA had setup uses mostly established trails to provide a "designation of our recreation" in the forest. it enables us to have an inclusion within the usfs recreation plan, it's a stepping stone to eventually get some obstacles planted along some parts of the trail. hopefully soon. but keep in mind, its a forest and not an offroad park, couldn't quite swing that.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 AM
FL VP

Location: From ALASKA but some how got stuck in the swamp land called FLORIDA
Is the the "Tread Lightly Four Wheel Drive Way" the same map system that is listed in the FL4WDA forums? and are they the only "Trails" not fire roads that there are for us to use?

There are trails in ONF with the Jeep symbol that are not listed on the Ocala pdf map system. My scouting group had a hard time finding a trail system that the ONF maps showed "trail system 0520" which runs on maps
13-14-15
7-8-9. which shows the whole loop system when put together in this number set up.

Coming out of Juniper Springs heading East on 40, turned right on 37 which should have ran into the 0520 but they could not find it.

Thanks for any help. We just want to make sure we run the right trails and that we can find them.

TTORA Florida Chapter Vice President
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
Is the the "Tread Lightly Four Wheel Drive Way" the same map system that is listed in the FL4WDA forums? and are they the only "Trails" not fire roads that there are for us to use?
it is the same, the gps/google maps from the FL4WDA Forum show the 81 miles FL4WDA proposed. however it is hardly the only trails for us to use, its just that we needed some of the trail system designated for our recreation otherwise our group is lumped into the subaru 2wd clubs and its hard to define recreation standards that way. explanation for why we chose what we did is long winded and mentioned in various places online.

Quote:
There are trails in ONF with the Jeep symbol that are not listed on the Ocala pdf map system. My scouting group had a hard time finding a trail system that the ONF maps showed "trail system 0520" which runs on maps
13-14-15
7-8-9. which shows the whole loop system when put together in this number set up.

Coming out of Juniper Springs heading East on 40, turned right on 37 which should have ran into the 0520 but they could not find it.

Thanks for any help. We just want to make sure we run the right trails and that we can find them.
sorry, not familiar with 37. and do you mean 05-20? the numbering has a meaning to what main road a trail is off from as well as how far it is from other roads. its honestly a bit confusing and i dont think very helpful to the general public...and some officials agree.

all trails listed in the MVUM are for licensed vehicles unless otherwise noted, on the trail these routes are identified with a jeep symbol as is the 4WD trail. the main difference with the 4WD trail is that once off the main roads you should see additional carsonite posts with jeeps and arrows to keep you on the 4WD route but other trails will have this too.

and so its also clear, there is no fee associated with the ocala 4wd route since the recreation intended along the actual trail is consistent with level 3 (or was it 4?) maintenance roads already managed by usfs funding.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 AM
FL VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncj7 View Post
it is the same, the gps/google maps from the FL4WDA Forum show the 81 miles FL4WDA proposed. however it is hardly the only trails for us to use, its just that we needed some of the trail system designated for our recreation otherwise our group is lumped into the subaru 2wd clubs and its hard to define recreation standards that way. explanation for why we chose what we did is long winded and mentioned in various places online..
So this trail system is for 4wd only or is it shared with atv's?

Quote:
sorry, not familiar with 37. and do you mean 05-20? the numbering has a meaning to what main road a trail is off from as well as how far it is from other roads. its honestly a bit confusing and i dont think very helpful to the general public...and some officials agree.

all trails listed in the MVUM are for licensed vehicles unless otherwise noted, on the trail these routes are identified with a jeep symbol as is the 4WD trail. the main difference with the 4WD trail is that once off the main roads you should see additional carsonite posts with jeeps and arrows to keep you on the 4WD route but other trails will have this too.
37 is old fire road 598. Hard to find all the new road numbers to what the old way was. Like FR 65 is now just 33. It runs from hwy 40 to Salt springs. The loop we where trying to find is listed as 0520 on the map. It runs just south of Juniper Springs and goes around the Navel Reservation. Below the Naval Reservation there are two different legs that could be taken. The short loop runs 0520 to 0520-A back to 0520. The long loop is just marked as 0520. If I'm right the is the Clermont OHV trail and is like a 42 mile long loop.

Edit: Also what is the difference in the color dots on the Tread lightly tail system?

Thanks for the help Jason

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM

the 4wd route is not a mixed use trail, the only mixed use sections of trail are there so that atv riders (and the like) can connect to the various loops they have (although not all will connect). most of these will be on sections of main roads such as the pipeline (old 97, new 09).

the ohv trails are not for licensed vehicles, those are to be for atv or ohm rigs and is fee based. no licensed trail will have 4 numbers like that without a dash somewhere mixed in.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/ocal...ureOct2006.pdf

that link above shows the atv/ohm routes. OHV in the federal forests means unlicensed vehicles.

the different color dots i used was simply to indicate 3 main areas: North, South West and South East however it has no further distinction, i was merely attempting to "mix it up" on the map. if you had a really large group you could split into 3 smaller groups and not get bottled up on the trail by choosing different routes. the dots themselves indicate a gps coordinate/waypoint.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
FL VP

Quote:
the ohv trails are not for licensed vehicles, those are to be for atv or ohm rigs and is fee based. no licensed trail will have 4 numbers like that without a dash somewhere mixed in.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/ocal...ureOct2006.pdf

that link above shows the atv/ohm routes. OHV in the federal forests means unlicensed vehicles.
That's strange
In the Seasonal and Special Vehicle Designations they have for each map it listed where all can and cant go right?

Well they have this there.
This is for map 7

See Route Number Below
Special Vehicle Designation
All Vehicles as listed above under
Special Designation( which is atv's), plus Highway
Legal Vehicles.
Year-round
Route Beginning Milepost Ending mile post
0520 36.774 36.913
0520 41.721 41.887
0520 42.218 42.316

05-10.0 2.519 2.617
17-1.7 1.750 1.854
22-4.6 1.670 1.836

See the last group of numbers in bold. They are not listed for atv use. So does this mean that to travel on 0520 which says plus highway legal vehicles we will need a permit to travel on them?
This is the same on maps 13-14-15-7-8-9 dealing with route loop 0520

And in that link you just posted they don't even have the Clearmont OHV trail listed. All of them trails are north of lake kerr and the wandering grass is south of Lake Dorr. This loop 0520 circles the US Naval Reservation and the CLearmont OHV trail you turn south off Hwy 40 as the Big wood sign on the side of the road says.

Boy did they sure screw this all up. I'm lost and I'm not even in the woods

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
And in that link you just posted they don't even have the Clearmont OHV trail listed. All of them trails are north of lake kerr and the wandering grass is south of Lake Dorr. This loop 0520 circles the US Naval Reservation and the CLearmont OHV trail you turn south off Hwy 40 as the Big wood sign on the side of the road says.

Boy did they sure screw this all up. I'm lost and I'm not even in the woods
i agree. i see the route you mean now, i dont know about it however id guess its a connector trail for atvs and if you saw jeep signs on it then id guess its a mixed use trail as the description on the map7 indicates. the use of "mixed use trails" is kept at a min to reduce user conflicts and to maintain the trail based on impact (4 wheelers have a different impact than a truck or jeep). its quite possible that the loop has a number (in definition, on the map) but is perhaps not numbered as 0520 on the trail but instead utilizes other numbers or is simply called "TRAIL".

there is only one section of the 4wd route that is seasonal and its a loop within the south west section that goes around long pond, and if they intend for it be observed the signs will *have* to indicate this (ive mentioned as much). the signs have to be maintained and describe the route well so that folks can drive it without a map, that was the whole reason we had so many "signing days" and will likely have others for maintenance.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm just gonna follow Tim on the trails and blame it all on him if we end up in the wrong place...
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 02:33 PM
FL VP

That's just a plain messed up system. In the def we can go on it but unless it has a jeep sign at some point on the trail we can not?

There are other loops that are marked with the same def's to them

The one we have been talking about "0520" this is a 41 mile long loop. Which I'm sure is the Clearmont OHV Trail but the Clearmont OHV trail is listed no where on the OHV maps.

Another is 0525(48 page map). This is Wandering wire grass trail by lake Dorr as shown on the OHV map.

In the 48 page map it has this listed for it:

All vehicles listed in Special Designation above( ATV's), plus Highway Legal Vehicles and Vehicles 65 inches or less in width, designed to travel on four low-pressure tires and having a bed for cargo.
But this is a OHV trail that's listed as such on the OHV map which we would not be allowed on. How does two maps of the same trail say two different things?

Sorry we as a club where not there to help with the signing days but please let us know when there are others so I can get them set up as events and do are best to get out and help.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Jason, do you have access to the full size version of this map? I have access to a wide format 36" printer and would love to print and laminate this thing full size to get a better idea of it. I can upload it all and try to resize and match it up... just trying take a little bit of the PITA factor out of it.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:16 AM

which map? the ones on the fl4wda site? please provide link of which one in particular you a referring to. thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode