TTORA Forum banner

Lets talk about SETO 11

8K views 80 replies 16 participants last post by  TRD Auddie 
#1 ·
Hey Guys -

Sorry for the delay in getting this posted, obviously life has gotten busy for most of us!

So, lets talk about Southeast Takeover 11.

To say that our attendance has declined over the last years is putting it lightly. Not only are less and less trucks making the trip every year, but the support we had from vendors has taken a hit as well.

The "off road" industry has made a very distinct switch and so much focus is now on buggies, competitions, races, and massive spectator events. While there is nothing wrong with ANY of those things, and we can happily support and attend these, it has had a major detrimental effect on smaller homegrown events like Southeast Takeover.

For the past 6 years we have worked hard to create an event that is more than just trail riding. We’ve encouraged everyone to branch out and get to know their fellow wheelers. Its about more than the riding, it was about coming together for a good time and building friendships. BUT it IS an off road event, and the wheeling DOES matter. The southeast has lost many great parks and trail systems over the years and finding a location that fits the bill for SETO has become more and more challenging each year ---- Proximity to amenities like proper camping facilities, ease of travel for our long distance guys, enough trails to keep both stock to extreme busy for a few days, and of course the overall cost to make sure it is within everyone’s reach have always been an important part of SETO. With competitions, major events, and races becoming more prevalent we’ve lost the ability to pick a park and “take over” like we had been able to in the past.

To get right down to it – I need to hear from you guys. Labor Day weekend this year is not leaving us with many options for a successful SETO 11 event. We had considered several different trail systems but most of them all ready have something on the books. Adventure Offroad (AOP) has a buggy event and benefit ride scheduled. Windrock has a new (expensive) event kicking off this year. Golden Mountain has their pavilions booked. The low attendance we had in Harlan last year does not seem to make that a viable option. We had considered the new Durhamtown Tellico area, but I am not confident that it would provide enough trail riding opportunity for everyone.

In addition to all of that, I’ll be honest in saying that the event hasn’t been too easy on Colin and I with the addition of a little one who isn’t quite ready to wheel yet. We have been happy to keep on with it despite not even getting to hit the trails the past two years, but our riding situation isn’t going to change much anytime soon ;)

So you tell me – what do we need to do here? One thought it so combine SETO with the annual October trip that a group of TN/NC guys have been making every year – usually to Harlan but other locations could be considered as it’s less “busy” than Labor Day. We can encourage more weekend wheeling events; AOP seems like an awesome park as long as there isn’t a major event going on there. I’m really at a loss on this because it IS IMPORTANT to us, we’ve had 10 amazing events. A decade of great wheeling and great friends. But here we are at an impasse and I’m just not sure how to move forward.

Please keep your comments positive. We all know things have slowed down on the forum, but like anything else, the tides sometimes change… its up to YOU to help bring it back around again.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am probably gonna end up sounding like a a$$hole here but oh well.

The problem i
s not location, date, or anything else. The problem is people (myself included) whining, bitching and generally carrying on about how the event is not 100% what they want or where they want, when they want, ect. Stfu! Not one of you is willing to step up and help with it so therefore you have no say. Once one person bitches it snowballs and then next thing you know you have a bunch of people bitching and not attending solely because that's the stand someone else took. And its over stupid crap. It's hot....you live in the south, it's gonna be hot. It's too far away....since when is a 3-4 hour drive too far...that's nothing. It just drives me nuts.

This event belongs in Harlan and i like the labor day date. You said you wanted a park to take over....well with harlan you get an entire town. Yes, the campground isn't super nice...oh well. You have gas, food, parts, anything you could want right there, and the wheeling is second to none.

I have been to 6 Seto's in 4 parks.

2 in Tellico....my absolute favorite place i have ever wheeled...but it's gone :(
1 in Tracy city....my least favorite. Long ride to wheel, trail guides, whole thing was hurry up and wait.
2 in Windrock.....i am neutral here....i like the park, it served the event well, i like the trails and wheeling.
1 in Harlan.....i loved it....orv friendly community, great trail system, ect.

My opinions

If there is a labor day event i will be there....i am not scrared to drive a couple miles. October dates do not work for me.

#3 ·
Where doesn't matter. Free stuff or raffle stuff also doesn't matter. Get out and go wheeling. Meet new folks, meet old folks. Have fun and break stuff. I'm all in if job allows the time off. Hoping a new career path in the next few weeks so that's a major factor for me. If job status doesn't change I'll be there.

#5 ·
Nicole, you and Colin stop putting so much pressure on yourselves to make it look like the Super Bowl. Regardless, the people who are there will have a great time. It won't be like it was 5 years ago. Those time were great and we keep remembering those times. Like you have said, life happens. It killed me to not go last year but I cant drive to KY. Not anyone's problem, just my choice. As for Saturday night raffles, again, take the stress out and more focus on grills, drinks, jokes and general good times. Trail guides were awesome back then but folks are gonna ride with groups of good friends and/or jump in with a group of their trail level. Everybody knows the effort that has been put in back then and appreciates it. Todd spelled it out and Ed has said it.."Let's wheel!" Let the masses decide on a destination and a date and be there if you can make it. It just works that way. If you can't make it, see you next time. Bring your chair, tent, cooler and a spare tire. That's how we all met years ago and here we are still. It just works. Happy Father's Day!

#7 ·
Nicole touched on the windrock event, mentioning it was expensive. It's only expensive if you register. It's a public park.....there is nothing stopping seto from being there and nothing forcing us to pay their event fee. If folks want the whole event/raffle/trail guide to hold their hand then let them pay to have it. The rest of us can go on wheeling without it. Gives both options without any extra work for Nicole/Collin.

Alan nailed it....in my opinion it needs to get back to grills, drinks and jokes and let the commercial aspects just go away.

#8 ·
Has any thought been given to the Ivy Branch trails in WV? I think its part of the Hatfield McCoy trails/park. I know it would be a bit of a drive but its a new place.... Just a thought.

I honestly dont care where we go. Ive managed to get off a bunch of days on either side of Labor Day weekend, so Im down for a long weekend of wheeling wherever!

#9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, loving it. It's the friends, drinks, and campfires we miss so much. Keep it coming and we'll come up with a plan here soon.

#14 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, loving it. It's the friends, drinks, and campfires we miss so much. Keep it coming and we'll come up with a plan here soon.
This is what I miss most about the SETOs that I was able to attend. Put it anywhere you want, anytime you want and people will show up just for the fun of wheeling and the fellowship. I haven't heard/seen anyone bad-mouthing you two over your efforts since little man came along so don't worry about that. All the "glamour" aspects with a raffle, gift bags, etc won't be missed by many, especially the ones who come to hang out more than anything. T-shirts however are not "glamour" items and are a requirement haha

However, I do have 2 disclaimers for this year:
1. I will probably be looking for an open seat IF (see disclaimer 2) I'm able to make it.
2. If it's Labor Day weekend, I'm out. We'll be traveling to Michigan for Rolison's wedding.

#10 ·
you kids want tshirts?! throw some ideas out or it'll end up being something about pampers or breastfeeding or toddler stuff. My brain isn't working too well these days :)

#15 ·
I agree with everything said above.

IMO I think windrock is the best mostly due to it being a more central location for everyone as opposed to Harlan. And windrock still has a ton of awesome trails.

Harlan is a ton of fun as well and cant go wrong there either.

Maybe we rotate between the two?

Raffles are cool, I like getting free stuff, but I dont think thats the reason why everyone shows up. Im in it for hanging out and wheeling. I dont get out on the trails much these days, so I always plan on SETO.

As far as the weekend being Labor day or not, I like Labor Day and I dont. I like it because I can plan on that weekend every year, I dont necessarily have to take a vacation day. On the other hand, there is a lot of fun events that weekend as well that I choose not to go to because I would rather be wheeling. Moving it to another weekend later in the the fall, means it might interfere with my college football schedule,:D

I do like the possible idea of tagging along with the windrock event, sounds like the best of both worlds.

This reminds me I need to get the truck going again...it has some electrical issues with starting...again.

#17 ·
Moving it to another weekend later in the the fall, means it might interfere with my college football schedule,:D
I remember listening to the first UT game of the season on the radio at every SETO and Auburn plays that weekend too. I say put it on Iron Bowl weekend :D

#22 ·
you should most definitely crash it...take some good pictures

#26 · (Edited)
Nicole, Colin -

Just want to start out by saying we appreciate everything you have done to organize and host past SETO events. You should not feel obligated to do anything for future events as we all know life events sometimes get in the way. I'm in the same boat as Alan... I've been to Harlan a couple of times and it's just too damn far for a weekend excursion. I work 8-5 Friday, leave by 7PM and don't arrive until 1-2AM. That just isn't fun for me and that is why I did not attend last year. Windrock is about as far I am willing to drive for a weekend, that's just me and my decision. If I'm going to drive across the country for longer than that it's gonna be for a 2 week expo. I like TSL back massages but I can only handle so much! Unlike most folks, my truck is also my daily driver, has been since 2003 and will continue to be until it falls apart, so the thought of breaking down that far from home is a little daunting when I have to be back at work as soon as I get home. Pick a location, set a date and I will do my best to be there. Labor Day also happens to be Heather's birthday so I have to tread lightly around that. Raffle is nice, but I never win anything except Autozone car wax anyway :D so meh, we could do without it.

As for Durhamtown Tellico, Chris and I went last year? or the year before. The trails were nice, steep and scenic but did not have a lot of variety. Most are either really easy or hard core plus some. We took the expedition type trail (waaaay out and back) that connected to the old Tellico trail 4?. I loved it, lots of rocks, just the right amount of difficulty but an all day affair. I know they were in the process of building new trails when we were there. They also had just opened up the cabins and camping areas. I think it would be a great place to host SETO...assuming they have room to host a large group and the trails have improved.

Edit: I forgot there is always Crawford's Campground right down the road from DT if it's still open...

#27 ·
Let's just go to MOAB... lol jk

I know my opinion doesn't matter as much as I'm still in my n00b stages here, but here's my .02.

At first I was going to suggest Windrock and combining the ATRu, but then I saw how ridiculously expensive the registration for that was, of course, I know we don't have to register for it. I still wouldn't be opposed to this option as Windrock isn't too far away for us. We went for GSMTR and loved it. We only wheeled one day as I kinda put a little smackdown on my t-case and killed it for the weekend, but aside from that, the one day we wheeled, the trails seemed to be awesome. Definitely seemed to be a very good variety of things to do from crazy stuff for built rigs to mild stuff for the folks who need to drive home after a good weekend of wheeling.

I'm indifferent on Harlan. That was our first big wheeling trip. All we had done beforehand were bunny trails up in the mtns here, so we didn't wheel too terribly hard while we were there. I'm sure this time, if it is in Harlan, we'll hit some of the gnarlier trails as I've gotten a little more time under my belt and enjoy hitting some of the harder more technical stuff. With that being said, it is a fairly long drive (certainly not complaining, and I know some of the other folks drove farther than we did), and I also have to drive the rig back home, not to mention I've got a new job and have been promoted to the night shift manager, meaning A) I can't take any vacation yet as I haven't been there for a year and B) I don't get off until 10-11 which would mean we'd either leave at 1am and not be there until first thing in the morning or leave first thing in the morning and not be there until early afternoon. At that point we'd only have a day to a day and a half of wheeling, two days at the very most. Again, this is none of y'all's issues, and this is just my .02, but that may put us out for Harlan.

I have been wanting to check out Durhamtown Tellico for some time now, and from what I've just been recently reading on it, it seems like it'd be a viable option aside from the distance that the folks from farther up north would have to travel. I may even do some scouting up there here soon if I can make it up there!

#28 ·
Well heck people just want to wheel. When did this change or was it just me? I love to see everybody and wheel wherever, whenever I can make it. So here is another vote for where ever whenever .I'll try to be there!!!!!! LOL Hope to see all you guys and gals hopefully sooner than later. In the meantime if anyone is wheeling, Any park within a couple of hours of Knoxville,TN and it's not been or going to be a monsoon I'm there get a hold of me somehow! I miss wheeling with Toyotas!!!! Later,Darren (865)805-2301 I'm SERIOUS

#31 ·
Hello all. I know it's been years since I've probably signed onto here, or talked to most of you, I've been off doing my own thing, traveling the country for work. Well I'm back in my hometown in Alabama, the Toyota was sold in December or January, can't remember which, but I'm in the process of buying another truck, or hell maybe my old one back, to start messing with. It most likely won't be this year when I make it to another seto. But I will be back. So pick a place, a date, and I'll bring some beer and clear liquid and we can have a ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#32 ·
so heres an update about Windrock - limited RV and primitive camping still available. everything else is booked for friday-sunday. The event that is already hosting there is expecting a big turn out. I can only imagine the log jam that'll develop from the web-wheelers that'll be there for catering and the bands each night. Just sayin'

plus, i'm not saying i'm above camping - but with a baby and a dog it just ain't happening. So if Yall want windrock thats fine but we'll probably sit this one out anyway.

As far as harlan, half of ya say no, half say yes and I don't want to make that dividing decision.

I know there are some people going to AOP in a few weeks - do yall want to see if that would be worth the Labor day weekend and report back?

The AOP people said the buggy event shouldn't affect much of the trail system, though there likely will be spectator crowds during the day saturday.

#33 ·
and durhamtown tellico - i mean that's an option too. Their camping area is not really accessible for 2wd tow rigs (as they told me). BUT getting back to Crawfords might be fun. We'd have the rock garden to play on even if the wheeling at durhamtown wasn't the best?

I contacted the new owners and they said they'd love to have us.

#34 ·
The whole "harlan is too far" thing is lame at best. Quick check shows atlanta to evarts at just over 5 hours and just over 300 miles. Thats nothing. Yesterday Kari and i loaded up, drove 2 hours 40 minutes, wheeled 8+ hours, loaded back up, drove home...~320 miles and that's not including our hour stop for a nice dinner.

we will probably do it again next Sunday. We have no choice, if we wanna wheel we gotta put the miles in.....so i don't buy "its too far"

#36 ·
As much as I hate you and think you are an idiot...ill have to agree with you on this. 6 hr drive isnt bad. This a once a year event.

I drive back from Cincy to ATL, leave friday after work, head back sunday morning for a weekend and it is about a 6hr drive and I dont even get to wheel!

#38 ·
After checking the calendar, and Bekah telling me she was off the whole week of Labor Day, Harlan would be a little easier for us to make if it was there. I won't have to work until Tuesday afternoon so we wouldn't have to leave as early on Monday. I can also go into work a few hours early on Friday in order to get off earlier.

We also did some number crunching as well. W/o registration (registering could potentially include some of this cost of course) for Bekah and I (I know others situations will be different and potentially more expensive since we'll be primitive camping) to camp and wheel 3 days, 2 nights, at Windrock it'd be ~$270ish, and DTTellico would be ~$180ish. It would almost be cheaper to do Harlan, even including gas, considering it's only $25 PER VEHICLE for a whole month!

OT: Speaking of Harlan, Todd, shoot me a PM w/ your PayPal address. I still owe you some $$ for camping last year lol

#40 ·
I have a light bar over my windshield now...my truck is cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.