Tacomas not for tall guys? - TTORA Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By partyman666
  • 1 Post By goffredo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Tacomas not for tall guys?

I'm 6'5", and I have no problems with my 1st gen Tacoma. I am in the market for a new truck, and my friend let me drive her 2013 2nd gen Tacoma. I didn't even pull out of my parking spot before I realized it wouldn't work for me -- my line of sight was focused directly at where the top of the windshield contacts the roof, so I had to hunker down just to see straight ahead, heaven forbid I was stopped at an intersection and had to look through the sunroof to see the stoplight.

Are 3rd gen Tacos just as bad for tall dudes? If so, I guess it's time to move on to another brand, which is kind of a bummer.

PS: Just saw this Consumer Reports article including the Tacoma as 10 worst cars for tall drivers. Ugh.

• 1999 Tacoma Limited Xtracab 4WD
  • OME 881 + NitroCharger Sport in front
  • OME Dakar + NitroCharger Sport in rear
  • BFG AT 33x10.5 15's on stock wheels
  • PPI 4100 driving 12" Kicker solobaric and MB Quart 216 separates
  • Just enough rust to seize up every last damned bolt on the undercarriage, but not quite enough to qualify for the rust recall

Last edited by goffredo; 02-11-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Added postscript
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:06 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
I'm sure you would have the same problem with some of the early trucks. Probably need to look into a full size truck given your size.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:24 AM

Go to a dealership and sit in one. You can't make car buying decisions on opinion things like comfort, etc. based off of someone else's opinion. Consumer reports is also biased as fvck. It costs you nothing to sit in their floor model truck and you can probably even go for a test drive of a used one without a credit report. 6-5 is tall, but the kind of tall that most cars can accommodate unless it's for racing and you need to be able to fit a helmet on your head while in there. I think when you start talking 6-7"+ is where problems start to happen.
SafetyDang likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Sorry, I think I was a little vague with my question, let me put a different spin on it.

I sit in my 1st gen (1999) with the seatback adjusted to the forward-most position and my line of sight is fine, it's about an inch below the top of the windshield, which is kind of annoying but I've been dealing with it for 19 years and it's fine.

I sat in a 2nd gen (2013) with the seatback adjusted to the forward-most position, and my line of sight is directly pointed where the glass windshield meets the interior headliner. Total no-go, unless the seat were to move directly downward (and it didn't), or I put the seat-back waay back into low-rider mode, which I don't want to have to do: I'm weird and like to sit as upright as possible.

Interestingly, side by side you can clearly see the 1st gen windshield is in a more upright position, and the 2nd gen it is angled in a bit, probably to reduce drag and/or to help deflect road debris with less potential glass breakage. So my big question is, what about 3rd gen? If I sat in a 3rd gen with the seatback adjusted to the forward-most position, would my line of sight be in a better, worse, or same position as the 2nd gen?

Sure I can drive an hour to my dealership and find out, and at some point I'm sure I will, but I thought maybe some of you Taco gurus knew the specs well enough to save me the heartbreak of sitting in a brand new Tacoma at the dealership and breaking down into tears realizing I would have to switch to a Tundra or some other full sized boat.

Or maybe for the 3rd gen, there's an optional seat up/downie adjustor thingie that I hadn't read about? Or the windshield angle is well know to have changed between 2nd and 3rd gen. Or maybe someone else freakishly tall had the same problem and did a seat height hack that made everything good in the world again. Or something, anything - just grasping at straws here really, looking for hope.
SafetyDang likes this.

• Just enough rust to seize up every last damned bolt on the undercarriage, but not quite enough to qualify for the rust recall
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
My boss had the same problem. Since you can't go to the dealer ship anytime soon. Which would 100% answer your question.

He is 6'3"? He said the Tacoma was an issue for him. so he ended up buying a Tundra.

I believe body proportions also matter. Which is why its best to go to the dealer ship.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Garage
I'm 6'3" and just bought a 14 double cab. This is the first toyota out of 5 that I didn't need to have the seat all the way to the back. I'm used to a slightly reclined seat back, and have the seat track around the middle, or a click or two back from center. Was her Taco a dbl cab or extra cab?

This is my custom signature. Pretty cool, eh?Q
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgardener View Post
Was her Taco a dbl cab or extra cab?
Thanks for the info! Hers was the extra cab. I'm actually planning to make the drive into the big city in a few days to a dealership to sit in a few models and see how it works out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

The 3rd Gen has the same Cab as a 2nd Gen so you would fit the same.

Low End Torque!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

vision

I'm 6'6" and had the same issue 2005. Have it my 2012. The head clearance is better than my 2000 but vision is same. Chop your seat or test a Tundra?

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

So, to close this thread, I ended up getting a 2018 Tundra. I have to kind of hunker my head down a bit when I get in to avoid smacking my head on the upper door frame, but once I'm in, I don't have to hunker down to see the stop light, and my line of sight goes through the normal glass of the windshield, and not the upper edge that has the shading on it.

Oh, and it can also tow my boat and I have room for my dog in the cabin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode