Looking for trails - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Looking for trails

Hey folks, brand new here. I'm just going to copy and paste from another post of mine, so if I miss some editing, bear with!

I haven't been getting any responses yet to some previous posts across the 'net, hopefully you guys can help:

I'm in Hillsboro, Oregon - a bit west of Portland.
This is my first 4x4

I used to drive around in my buddy's beat to hell '81 Toy, but I'm looking for something rated 2.0 or less - partially due to experience, mainly because I'm very protective (first time to have something to be this proud of, so baby gets a weekly bath, yadda yadda )

Anyone got ideas? I know there's Brown's camp, but I haven't been there yet - is it higher level than what I'm looking for?

I used to live in Klamath Falls (southern Oregon) and tooled around Mill City (near Detroit) on logging roads, but I'm hoping for something closer that I could either do after work or on short notice.

Links, advice appreciated! If there's a good guidebook I'd be interested too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 81yoterboy Send a message via MSN to 81yoterboy Send a message via Yahoo to 81yoterboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Hey folks, brand new here. I'm just going to copy and paste from another post of mine, so if I miss some editing, bear with!

I haven't been getting any responses yet to some previous posts across the 'net, hopefully you guys can help:

I'm in Hillsboro, Oregon - a bit west of Portland.
This is my first 4x4

I used to drive around in my buddy's beat to hell '81 Toy, but I'm looking for something rated 2.0 or less - partially due to experience, mainly because I'm very protective (first time to have something to be this proud of, so baby gets a weekly bath, yadda yadda )

Anyone got ideas? I know there's Brown's camp, but I haven't been there yet - is it higher level than what I'm looking for?

I used to live in Klamath Falls (southern Oregon) and tooled around Mill City (near Detroit) on logging roads, but I'm hoping for something closer that I could either do after work or on short notice.

Links, advice appreciated! If there's a good guidebook I'd be interested too!
Welcome, I am from down south so I am not much help, But I have been to browns a couple times, it is only as hard as you wanna make it.

White trash cartel
Hillbilly Mafia Race Team
._________________________________________
||____________||____________||___TOYOTA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

here is a link to the Brown's Camp map that is out of print:
http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/docs/ohv_map_04.pdf
it will at least give you an idea of the different trail ratings out there.
Just remember to have the proper recovery equipment and not to wheel alone...

~Robb
1981 Trekker- 220:1

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Well, went for a small run just to see what I could see...

-Screw the OOHVA website and that the Forestry Department website for trying to find anything. I got led to the Forest Grove ranger station 15 - 20 miles away. I'll post some exact coordinates later today.

-Do I need the OHVA-whatever license thing for my truck? What's a spark arrestor? I'll browse for more info at lunch...

-I went on two trails marked easy, and had an ABSOLUTE BLAST. It's enough for me, exactly what I was looking for. Went on Powerline (easy) trail and something called FBI Road by accident (I think it was a portion of Mark's, was all big rocks).

-"WHEEEE"

-"Um, next birthday present is a skid plate" I knew I wanted one before, but it's moved up my wish list - I'm going to hold off on any more adventures until then

-"WHEEEE"
-"WHEEEE"

-"Man, pavement feels weird"

Quote:
Just remember to have the proper recovery equipment and not to wheel alone...
Do you have a recommendation on recovery equipment that suits my level? I'm currently bone stock and as I said, the easy trails at a slow speed are all I want. I don't plan on setting up an auto repair shop, but I do have some socket wrenches, a braided cable line, extra oil (kinda irrelevant here), ratchet straps, ODOT first aid kit. My basic rule is the first sign of trouble means I go home.
I always have my GPS, cell phone, but realize that those don't cover it all. When you say don't go alone, are you talking about another vehicle, or just another person? I'm all by myself on these things most of the time (I don't see the housemate in the Caddy getting lifts anytime soon, and his next vehicle is a VAN). I always tell people where I'm headed, and I didn't try anything at Brown's yesterday until after I started seeing many groups of people in the area. If I'm being reckless for even going on 'easy' stuff, let me know now!

2008 Tacoma 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
OME lift
Relentless Fabrication front plate bumper and hybrid tube sliders
285/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM

Stop by the Shell gas station. You need an OHV permit. You can purcahse at the gas station and they have large printed maps. You can not print anything useful from the OHV site. I have all gps coordinates for almost all of the trails.

Jason
My Pictures
1998 Tacoma Limited TeRD
Not quite stock
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

you really need the permit. It's not uncommon for the guys up there to issue tickets for not having a permit.

when people say don't go alone they mean without another truck. If your truck breaks down out there you don't want to be stranded. If you get stuck you'll have another truck to pull you out....etc. My opinion is that if you know the limits of your truck and you stay WELL below those limits then going alone is fine. I do plenty of exploring without any other trucks with me but I also don't do anything risky that would get me stuck or in trouble.

The whole reason I found this site, and one other online club is so that I don't have to go by myself though. Whenever you want to go out post up on the Event Planning part of this forum and people will go with you. Better be safe than sorry. Its more fun with other people too!

1999 Limited 4runner, Revenge Fab Front Bumper, Revenge Fab Sliders, 255x85x16 BFG KM2's, SAW 2.0 front and OME rear

[SOLD] '99 Tacoma V6 LTD TRD, CB, Sliders, 33x10.5 bfg mt
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2360595
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:13 PM

looking for a cheap accommodation

Hi to all members,
My name is John Philips from California. I decided to move to Oregon. I am looking for a cheap accommodation, So please suggest me.

John Philips

Oregon Alcohol Addiction Treatment
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to Tw1st3d Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnphilips View Post
Hi to all members,
My name is John Philips from California. I decided to move to Oregon. I am looking for a cheap accommodation, So please suggest me.

John Philips

Oregon Alcohol Addiction Treatment

your first post on a toyota 4x4 website is to ask for a alcohol treatment buddy?

use google. there no need to say "I don't know?" now that we have google.

1989 Extra Cab SAS 5.29's locked front and rear. Dirty 30's etc
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Well, there is a need to say "I don't know", as in "I don't know what that guy is asking".

Is he looking for AA?
Is he looking for trails also?
Is he looking for a hotel?
Is he looking for an English course?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but seriously, what is going on?

2008 Tacoma 4x4 DC TRD Offroad
OME lift
Relentless Fabrication front plate bumper and hybrid tube sliders
285/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in