Home Builder Skills? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Home Builder Skills?

Just a longshot feeler here, but please read on if you've got residential construction skills and experience...

We have our demo permit in-hand and are finally starting Demo of the old house and garage in prep to build the new house and garage/workshop on our lot here in Black Canyon City. The house plan drawings are still being held up, so it'll still be a few weeks or months before we get the building permit. I will be serving as my own GC/owner-builder, (with the help and advice of a couple of GC's we have in the family). We will be doing as much of the labor and skilled trades work ourselves as we can in an attempt to save money and just because we want to build as much of our home ourselves as we can. But we don't have the skills and experience to do everything. I'm a woodworker and cabinet maker so interior furniture and finish trim will be on me, but I still might need some help with the carpentry if I get behind. Also, we've already found a few specialty contractors (plumber, electrician, framer) to assist with a few of the trades -- but not all.

If anyone around here has specific builder grade trade skills and might be looking for a few days or weeks of work at some point in the coming months let me know. There might be a chance that we could put your skills to work on our new house/shop. I know its a long shot, but I'd rather hire one of my TTORA buds who I know than some stranger from the phone book. So PM me if you're a painter, drywall installer, concrete guy, grader/paver, HVAC pro, roofer or whatever - particularly if you'd be interested at some point over the coming 6 months or so in spending some days moonlighting your services to help us build the house.

PM me with your list of trade skills, years of experience, general availability (such as weekend moonlighting only, 5 days a week, etc) and a name and phone number, and if we think we can put you to work, I'll call you when we come to that point in the build and we can work out the details from there.

Degenerate

'03 D-cab Prerunner (4wd conversion)[/SIZE]
D-Cab https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115481
'85 4Runner Geared, Locked & Exo'd on 37's
Toyzilla https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168734
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

I do concrete, tile, rock etc. I'm sure that's no help though, being kinda far away.

In december I'll be in San Diego. I may extend my stay if Dick decides he wants me to some work up north(Dick?............)

Or I could go east...

Can we see pictures when you start building?

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Well I'm having flooring put in this week. Some new man made tile stuff for the kitchen and the guest bath where there is that vinyl shit now and recarpeting all the bedrooms. I don't know what possed the guy who owned this place before to put in white carpet but I ain't having nothing to do with it. Been there and done that so I'm nippin this one in the bud from the get go.

The only tile work I'll have left is a couple of small patches in the master walk in when the closet organizers get done. They'll be putting down some cedar leaving not enough tiling to get anyone worked up over.
The big problem there is matching the tile that's in the bath now. I've searched this place high and low and there aren't any leftovers that I could find. The only spare tiles I could find were for the stove surround in my cave which I'll probably end up ripping out anyway.

I just hired a guy to clean up the understory and thin out the trees on my property but unless you're a logger or jack that ain't your gig. After the logs get a season of two on em so I can skin em, I'll be doing some terracing, how are you at handling a skid steer or track loader? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainiha View Post
I do concrete, tile, rock etc. I'm sure that's no help though, being kinda far away.

In december I'll be in San Diego. I may extend my stay if Dick decides he wants me to some work up north(Dick?............)

Or I could go east...

Can we see pictures when you start building?

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

PMs received. Thanks, I'll get back to you guys if/when we come to the point where we can use the help.

House pics? I've got a gallery set up on FB where progress pics of the new house will go, though there's not really anything in it yet. Stay tuned or find me on FB, Wainiha.

Degenerate

'03 D-cab Prerunner (4wd conversion)[/SIZE]
D-Cab https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115481
'85 4Runner Geared, Locked & Exo'd on 37's
Toyzilla https://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168734
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster View Post
WI don't know what possed the guy who owned this place before to put in white carpet but I ain't having nothing to do with it. Been there and done that so I'm nippin this one in the bud from the get go.
Yea, I imagine it'd get covered in Fritz' hair, peanut butter, and sploodge very quickly.

Toyota Tacoma....the Prius of "trucks".
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Like taking pee out of a swimming pool. You can't remove something once it's in your brain.

Thanks for the image howyadoin

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode