Anyone spare a mig welder? Has to be portable... - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Anyone spare a mig welder? Has to be portable...

Hey Fellas,

I'm in the process of swapping out my Toyota lift springs for Chevy 63s. I was using my cheap Chicago Electric 90 AMP Welder and she started started sputtering up on me. I've had several experienced welders look at it with no avail. I've adjusted the tension, swapped out the tip, etc.

Anyways, I live out in Goodyear, AZ and was hoping someone had a welder I could borrow. I do have a way to pick up the welder from your place. I don't have very much work left and should be able to finish her in one day.

I also have collateral if that makes you feel more comfortable. I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Cody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM
NVTTORA Pres. 社長

If it's sputtering the problem is probably the power supply. I had the same issues with my little surefire mig. I wired a direct outlet to my panel box and it works like a new machine - incredible difference.

Try to wire a short lead (maybe 4') of 10/2 to a free (unused) 20amp breaker in your panel, wire a outlet to the other side. Try the welder and see if it fixes the problem.

Don't use the quick connect (push in holes) on the breaker, use the screws. Get the help of an electrician if you dont have the know-how.

It really was an unbelievable difference in my case.

07' DC 4x4 TRD Tacoma - Locked F&R w/4.88 - TC UCA's - IconET2.5 CO's 14"/700lb - AllPro Expo Leafs - King 2.5 12" IBP - Light Racing Jounce Stops F&R - 295/70-17 Toyo M/T - AllPro F Bumper, Slidders & IFS Skid - Warn M8000 w/3/8" Technora - Piaa 510 Fogs - Hella 4000FF w/55w HID - Icom 208H/SG7500A - Midland 1001Z/Little Wil - PAP112/SA315P - 2 EGHST1P - ARB CKMTA12 & 1gal tank - Blue Sea fuse blocks cab/eng bay - DH G31 & G34 PM-1 Platinum - OTRATTW switches - 20lb Co2.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info

I am not an electrician by any means so I appreciate the insight. I am currently using the dedicated 20 amp outlet from my washer directly to the standard 8' lead.

The only thing that bothers me is that I've welded a bunch of times with the same setup which was why I thought the problem was related to the machine itself.

Cody
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Big thanks to 62Willy for letting me borrow his welder. My truck is back in action with more rear flex than ever. Next step is to finish my box out for the rear frame and recess the tail lights.

As far as my welder situation, I'm finally going to bite the bullet and buy a quality unit. I've decided on the Hobart Handler 190 with spool runner. That should be more than enough for my needs and should last a lifetime.

I definitely appreciate the support.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 PM

I picked up the same Hobart package a few weeks ago.
Very happy with it. Nice machine for the size and price.

Picked mine up from cyber weld.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

That's good to hear.

Not to turn this into a welding thread but Northern Tool currently has the hobart handler 190 with spool runner on sale with the spool runner for $799 total and Tractor Supply has the same welder without the spool runner for $650 plus tax ($700 total).

Both are great prices for what you get IMHO.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I wired up a new 220V 50 Amp outlet and my new Hobart Handler 190 running like a champ!

Thanks,

Cody
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Do have any pics of the swap and your new springs? I have been waiting forever to swap in my 63s.

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Wainiha,

They flex a TON better than my Toyota lift springs, but any weight in the rear since I removed my bed. The conversion was actually really easy. I bought the drop shackle kit from sky off road and found some Chevy springs laying around.

There are tons of pics & threads online, but I will take some pics and post them tonight. I want to adjust my rear perch position further back to give me more articulation, but they are good for now.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyps85 View Post
Wainiha,

They flex a TON better than my Toyota lift springs, but any weight in the rear since I removed my bed. The conversion was actually really easy. I bought the drop shackle kit from sky off road and found some Chevy springs laying around.

There are tons of pics & threads online, but I will take some pics and post them tonight. I want to adjust my rear perch position further back to give me more articulation, but they are good for now.
Thanks cody. I have seen some, but I always like more. I have the Ruffstuff 63 kit and the springs. I just need some frame boxing plates and shocks.

Did you french your hangers?

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode