looking for a reputable place to buy some new gears - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

looking for a reputable place to buy some new gears

i have an 86 x-cab 4x4 with a 22re in it. i am currently running 31" tires and dont plan on going any larger on this truck, its my winter daily driver. from the research i have done on here and other places i have decided to go with 4.56 gears front and rear. can anyone recommend a reputable place to get the gears from? i would like to buy a fully assembled set up that i can remove the old and replace with the new with as little down time as possible.

thanks for any help

jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpdmazda View Post
i have an 86 x-cab 4x4 with a 22re in it. i am currently running 31" tires and dont plan on going any larger on this truck, its my winter daily driver. from the research i have done on here and other places i have decided to go with 4.56 gears front and rear. can anyone recommend a reputable place to get the gears from? i would like to buy a fully assembled set up that i can remove the old and replace with the new with as little down time as possible.

thanks for any help

jason
location? that might help

otherwise order geared diffs from ECGS and then send them back your cores. no down time at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

whats ECGS?

89 Pickup
AO front winch bumper, taylor fab sliders and skids, trailmaster lift in front, stock duals, 36x13.50 Irok, 4.88 gears, lockrite in the rear, 63" Chevy leafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post

~ off road thought, for the day ~

" if ya wheel like an idiot... it probably shows "
Quote:
Originally Posted by cztheman64 View Post
yeah but you wheel like Tim Cameron

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

You can get a set of used factory 3rd members in either 4.56 or 4.88 from here.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39620.0

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
location? that might help

otherwise order geared diffs from ECGS and then send them back your cores. no down time at all.
my appologies, i thought it was in my profile with my name, im in allentown pa 18102. i talked to ecgs through email and through private message on here, got two different prices for the same setup from the same person so not too sure i want to deal with them.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
my appologies, i thought it was in my profile with my name, im in allentown pa 18102. i talked to ecgs through email and through private message on here, got two different prices for the same setup from the same person so not too sure i want to deal with them.
contact CPerry here (member), they are a straight-up company with a great track record with ttora. can't beat their 5-yr warranty either.

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
you may have been receiving a discount on the board here
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Go with the lower price obviously! lol
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 PM

Definately go with ECGS. You will not go wrong. Why do you want to change gears so bad. The 4.10s that you have are fine for 31s. Hell, I ran 35s on 4.10 gears on the street.

North Carolina Army National Guard Recruiter

92 yota pickup "plain jane" - locked f/r, sliders, 4bangin on 31s

www.ncttora.com
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbriangreen View Post
Definately go with ECGS. You will not go wrong. Why do you want to change gears so bad. The 4.10s that you have are fine for 31s. Hell, I ran 35s on 4.10 gears on the street.
the reason for wanting to change gears is to try and get better mileage and power out of the truck. it cant get out of its own way and i get passed by motorhomes going uphill to work everyday. i cant get it out of 4th gear on the highway and it tops out at about 65-70. im not looking to gain more speed, just better gas mileage and a little better pep for lack of better terms. at the moment i get about 8 mpg highway or city. my 87 auto 4runner on 31" tires got about 17mpg or better. after researching re-gearing and what it seems to help with i decided it would be a good start to making it a little bit better of a daily driver, and a little more fun to play around with in the snow and occasional mud.

the cheaper quote from ecgs came from the website and the more expensive on this site. i am in no way bashing the company it just kind of struck me as odd that i got two different prices, the reason i sent two emails was that i sent one through here and hadnt gotten an answer in a few days so i figured they may be easier to contact on the actual website.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

thats weird that you get like 8 mpg. my pickup gets like 17 with no regear and 33s.

89 Pickup
AO front winch bumper, taylor fab sliders and skids, trailmaster lift in front, stock duals, 36x13.50 Irok, 4.88 gears, lockrite in the rear, 63" Chevy leafs

Quote:

Quote:
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
the reason for wanting to change gears is to try and get better mileage and power out of the truck. it cant get out of its own way and i get passed by motorhomes going uphill to work everyday. i cant get it out of 4th gear on the highway and it tops out at about 65-70. im not looking to gain more speed, just better gas mileage and a little better pep for lack of better terms. at the moment i get about 8 mpg highway or city. my 87 auto 4runner on 31" tires got about 17mpg or better. after researching re-gearing and what it seems to help with i decided it would be a good start to making it a little bit better of a daily driver, and a little more fun to play around with in the snow and occasional mud.

the cheaper quote from ecgs came from the website and the more expensive on this site. i am in no way bashing the company it just kind of struck me as odd that i got two different prices, the reason i sent two emails was that i sent one through here and hadnt gotten an answer in a few days so i figured they may be easier to contact on the actual website.
wow, that thing should have come with at least 4.56s...some even got factory 4.88s.

Quote:
Quote:
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
i have an 86 x-cab 4x4 with a 22re in it.
8 mpg makes me think you have engine problems. I used to have the same truck with 31s too, but with a 22R and I got ~16. and I live in the mtns.

'97 4Runner SR5 3.4 4x4
Lifted on 35s, locked, armored, geared
>>>> Build Thread <<<<
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member

can you say needs a tune-up?

89 Pickup

Quote:

Quote:
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyAL View Post
can you say needs a tune-up?
did a tune up about 3 week ago
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2sun View Post
8 mpg makes me think you have engine problems. I used to have the same truck with 31s too, but with a 22R and I got ~16. and I live in the mtns.
i was thinking that may be the problem too. i want to check the timing on it and see if that may be the problem. when i bought it there was a big exhaust leak and it was missing the O2 sensor. had a whole new exhaust put on with new sensor. truck went from 6mpg to 8mpg. the previous owner replaced the head gasket so i am wondering if he messed something up in the process
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member

Reversed some plug wires maybe and really only a 2 cyl. right now. If it runs hot that could be the issue. I did that on my 87 Cherokee V6. Thought it was same as GM firing order since it is the same engine, I was wrong.

Also the 80's 4x4's that came from factory with 31's were geared with 4.88's.

98 T4R SR5 3.4L Auto, All-Pro UCAs, Coils, Rock Sliders. Sonoran Steel 1.2 Rear(FJ80 coils), DIY rear bumper w/ Carrier. NTG 285/75/16 on Ivan Stewarts. Front Bumper and roof rack by www.OutdoorLogic.net Vision X lights
Wish list: Winch, skids

http://www.sbnfa.org/ohvhosts.php
Good Program to look into.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikeman View Post
Reversed some plug wires maybe and really only a 2 cyl. right now. If it runs hot that could be the issue. I did that on my 87 Cherokee V6. Thought it was same as GM firing order since it is the same engine, I was wrong.

Also the 80's 4x4's that came from factory with 31's were geared with 4.88's.
thanks for the insight, i wll look into the wires possibly being in the wrong spots. i replaced them one at a time to make sure they werent switched around accidentally but the p/o may have had them out of whack since before i bought it. the truck runs a little rich alos. does anyone have any info on which wires go where? i am at work now so i dont have access to my haynes manual to see if the order is in there.

thanks for all the help and suggestions so far guys
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

Check your timing.

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremetoy2000 View Post
Check your timing.
that thought had crossed my mind as well since the p/o did the head gasket himself. any idea what the timing should be set at?
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

If he replaced the head gasket check your cam timing as well as your ignition timing. I believe a stock 22re ignition timing is somewhere around 8-10* but check the manual first I am going off memory.

1997 Toyota Tacoma linked SAS,
39s, ARBs, Bobbed, Exo, Full Widths.
1968 Ford F100 big block
03 Cummins 6 speed
09 Acura MDX
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCTAC View Post
If he replaced the head gasket check your cam timing as well as your ignition timing. I believe a stock 22re ignition timing is somewhere around 8-10* but check the manual first I am going off memory.
thanks for another good suggestion. i will look it up in my manual tongiht when i get home and see what it tells me. hopefully i can get some time to play around with the timing nextr tuesday when i am off but the never ending honey do list is a big one!
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
Check over on the PA Chapter, the VP does installs at a great price and does a great job. He is also fairly local to you.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
Check over on the PA Chapter, the VP does installs at a great price and does a great job. He is also fairly local to you.
good deal, thanks for the suggestion. who is the vp of the chapter? im gonna hold off on the gears for now until i figure out if the engine is the main cause. i have a set of stock rollers with stock size tires on them that i think i am gonna throw on and drive around for a full tank, maybe that will help shed some light on things as well?? who knows with my luck
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
Quote:
good deal, thanks for the suggestion. who is the vp of the chapter? im gonna hold off on the gears for now until i figure out if the engine is the main cause. i have a set of stock rollers with stock size tires on them that i think i am gonna throw on and drive around for a full tank, maybe that will help shed some light on things as well?? who knows with my luck
86toy - Mark

I had him set up the gears in my Tacoma and they have been perfect for the last 5 years.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
86toy - Mark

I had him set up the gears in my Tacoma and they have been perfect for the last 5 years.
cool, once i get my timing situated i will give him a shout. thanks for the advice
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to SUPERTACO1
Unitrax in Southern California has always built some very durable rear ends for me in the past. everything they ever did on my danas and fords were bulletproof. here ya go if youre interested http://www.gounitrax.com/

2008 Tacoma 35 MTs on black steelies .URD MK.2 Supercharger , URD MK2 stainless ypipe Front and rear Bent up custom bumpers. IPF Lighting ,Navigation,Warn Winch,sliders ,wrap around rear corner armor,welded sliders, King coil-overs, Deaver custom leafs ,Powertank ARB air Lockers By WFO ,,,,,, Custom Paint by 'Monster; energy (Motocross sponsor)
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

ok quick update, there were several issues contirbutiing to the bad mileage. problem one: fuel return line was leaking heavily.
problem two: the timing was off by about 15 degrees
problem 3: the idle was about 250 rpm too high according to toyota specs.
problem 4: intake gasket was no good, replaced and fixed.

seems to be running much better now, we will see what a new full tank brings.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 PM

Good stuff. Now that the engine is healthy, you still gonna do the gears?

'97 4Runner SR5 3.4 4x4
Lifted on 35s, locked, armored, geared
>>>> Build Thread <<<<

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode