TTORA Forum banner

stupid HF bender

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  99TanTaco 
#1 ·
as most of you are aware I haven't been having much success in using this without flattening and kinking the hell out of the pipe despite others success

so taking a closer look at it today I noticed the die is pretty sloppy (as Pete has been suspecting) which I'm 90% certain is causing a lot of the flattening

Unfortunately the pipe measures right on the money: 1-1/2 pipe = 1.90 OD so the problem is with the die, any ideas on fixing this or if someone makes a better fitting replacement die for this

unfortunately a real bender is out of the question right now due to cash and mounting/storage options (no garage)

what surprises me is when we first started using it it seemed to fit much better:confused: maybe there was just that much paint built up on it

#2 ·
You didn't have any better luck after I left? You could still try the sand approach. I think Mark (NwiTaco) made his tube doors with the HF bender. He may have some good ideas.

#4 ·
you will not get a one bend stinger out of a hf bender its just that simple. your could do 2 bends and it will work(what i did) i didnt use sand, but something i did notice and im not sure if it was really the problem, but when it was pretty cold out the pipe would kink really easy , but after it sat in the sun for a few hours it was hard to get one to kink up. what angle are you trying to get? the most ive got was 125 and that was with 2 bend right next to one another, but it was a bitch to do

#6 ·
I'm aiming for around 110deg and was doing 3 bends, the pipe was prob room temp

Hmmm...warm metal should indeed bend easier. What would happen if you warmed it with a torch before you bent it?
I'm a little leary of preheating it, if it gets to warm it might just collapse:confused:

good news is all this bender talk has peaked my boss's curiousity and there's a chance our shop may get a new toy so we'll see how that plays out

#7 ·
I have one of these as well, and the best mod you can do is to replace the rollers with sliders. cut a 3 inch piece of what ever you are bending, then split that to make two halfs, take each half and weld it perpendicular onto a piece of 3/4 (i think) sch 40. then replace the rollers with your new homeade sliders. the sliders keep alot of pressure on the pipe to keep it down in the die. also they distribute the pressure where the roller used to be better and keep it from kinking there. there is alot of good info about this bender, and a write up with pictures on pirate 4x4. I can do a perfect 90 degree bend in one shot with out moving the pipe and with out kinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.