HELP-4 Wheel Drive Out - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

HELP-4 Wheel Drive Out

Hey Fellow Tacoma Fans, NEWBIE here for help!

Need Assistance from anybody that can diagnose my problem with my four wheel drive! It all started out about a month ago when I went to Portsmouth Island off the Outer Banks and my battery slammed into my engine block b/c the previous owner had it secured by a rotted bungee cord... If I had only looked a little closer... Anyways, we were able to get the truck running again on the beach, 4-wheel drive off the beach, and limp back home. It fried several wires, hoses, etc. Besides that, the truck did wonderful on the beach considering the abuse we put it through! I went ahead and replaced the hoses, a new cable kit/battery harness, and an Odyssey battery.

About a week ago, I tried my four wheel drive and the light on the dash did not come on, so I just assumed the bulb was burned out in the dash. Well, my luck, a couple of days ago, my universal joint gave out on me! I figured I would remove the rear driveshaft and limp home using four-wheel drive, basically depending on my front tires... Well, I jumped in the truck, put it in four wheel drive, and nothing happened! I left the truck in gear since it wasn't going anywhere and looked underneath. The front driveshaft was spinning, so at least I knew it wasn't something wrong with my transfer case. So, I had to replace my u-joint on the spot to get back home... To get to the point, I am trying to figure out why my four wheel drive stopped working. It worked on the island after the battery incident. But, it hasn't worked after putting the new battery in and replacing the positive and negative cables. Is there a wire I may have missed when swapping batteries? The fuse is not blown. I have tried searching for this, but with no success. I have a '99 2.7L Tacoma. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have ADD or manual hubs? I am guessing ADD. The actuator is vacuum operated and the vacuum lines and their respective components mount to the inner fender in the middle on the drivers side. Maybe check to make sure the battery didnt hit into any of that stuff.

On the lookout for a new rig
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Good guess. It sounds like a good diagnosis, but one thing is it still worked after the incident on the beach. I will definitely check in that area in the morning to see what you are talking about. Thanks! I'll let you know what I find...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

It is probably a log shot, but also check to make sure that all of the connectors on the actuator are still there. There have been thread on this in the past and there is an electrical thing you can change also. I just dont know what it is.

On the lookout for a new rig
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Eztrog88
Ehhh.. just do a manual hub conversions, u'll be much happier...

(Just kidding, sorry I can't help, don't know much about ADD)

Dan

1998 Tacoma
Regular Cab 4x4
2.7L - 5-spd

TJM Front Bumper
Fabtech Coilovers with Fox Racing Shox
1.5" Shackle and Deaver 3-Leaf AAL
ATArmor Sliders
31x10.50 BFG ATs

(Anyone want to trade for my 3.58's ? )
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

FIXED! I finally found another thread that had the same subject using "actuator" as my magic word! The thread is below. I traced the problem down to a vacuum line that was disconnected b/c of the incident. I guess the 4 wheel drive still worked on the beach after the incident b/c it was still engaged. Once I took it out of four wheel drive, it never worked again until today. It's all fixed now! Thanks for all the help! Next is a new CV Joint!

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...4&page=1&pp=30

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode