neutral safety switch fix - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

neutral safety switch fix

Awhile back my truck was not starting up properly. After a few turns of the key it would start up, eventually it began blowing the STA fuse. Replacing the fuse worked, went through a bunch! Then once the truck started up and got hot, turning it off and then getting back in blew every fuse afterwards. I got fed up and began jumping the starter until I figured out the issue. Checked wires for any damage that can cause a short. I narrowed it down to the NSS, didn't know you could open these until I just took it off. I thought it went bad, but didn't want to spend the money on a new one. Figured I could wire around it to a push button.

Instead I took it off to see whats up. The switch is located on the passenger side if the transmission, held in with a 12mm bolt and a 22mm nut. The switch tells the computer what gear the tranny is in.

Front view:

Back view, which shows the 5 screws:

remove screws (duh):

Carefully pull apart, can you spot the problem?

The contact came out some how!

Wiped off, you can see the contacts back in it's home.

Under the contacts are springs, make sure the spring is not compressed because the old grease can hold them down. Work the contacts up and down by pushing on them for insurance. I cleaned the rest of the old grease out, and used white lithium grease. You don't need much, I filled the holes that had grease in them the same way and did a quick pass over contact surface. Once that's done put all back together and test it! So far it has worked perfectly! Truck starts right up, let it run, shut off and do it again...fuse has yet to pop.

Hopefully this can help someone in the future!

Krazy Cajun Kustoms
facebook.com/krazycajunkustoms

1999 taco wit sum tig ol bitties

Last edited by AlexXx; 08-25-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Good Tech!

Where is this switch located?

2017 Gen3 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab

Bone Stock and Loving Every Minute Of It.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 PM

On the transmission; passenger side, near the bell housing. I know that different years have a different part number due to the electronic plug style. Other then that the part is interchangeable. I swapped my 2001 2wd onto a 99 4wd and works fine.

2001 Toyota Tacoma
Toyota Trail Riders
Natural selection is good for the herd as a whole because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first making the Brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

On the pass side in the tranny right after the bell housing. Thanks man! Up dated the post.

Krazy Cajun Kustoms

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:10 AM

I've had to do this on my XJ... Is there room to move the switch in such a way that you have to worry about getting it lined up properly when you put it back on? On the XJ i had to check continuity on different terminals depending on which gear the transmission was in to make sure it was lined up right.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

If you look at the first pic you can see that it is "keyed". When you do this you want the truck in Neutral which will be a vertical position and the NSS only has one vertical position to match it. Simple as that. Even if you have it in Park and the switch can only match one way to the shifter rod.

Krazy Cajun Kustoms

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexXx View Post
If you look at the first pic you can see that it is "keyed". When you do this you want the truck in Neutral which will be a vertical position and the NSS only has one vertical position to match it. Simple as that. Even if you have it in Park and the switch can only match one way to the shifter rod.
Roger that. Looks to be nice and easy. Nice write-up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

They can be a pain to adjust at times, especially when it starts to get cold outside if you take it off. It took me a week or so to finally adjust mine so it would start everytime after I swapped my trans.

02 dbl cab 2.5 dirt logics Just another wanna be

"we had us some fun"

"Blue Water Inn, We Got Pyramids!!!"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:25 PM

Neutral Safety Switch Adjustment

Did you have any issues getting the NSS in the right adjustment? I replaced my NSS on my 2007 Tacoma and I dont think its adjusted correctly...because it ran well for 3 weeks and now is doing the same thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode