TTORA Forum banner

Dual Case Rear Adapter Plate Bearing Bad?

37K views 286 replies 31 participants last post by  slink89 
#1 ·
So, my dual case setup is starting to make noise. It sounds like someone rattling a chain. My buddy, Dylan, had these exact symptoms on his 4 Runner dual case setup. His problem turned out to be the bearing on his rear adapter plate... it lost two of the ball bearings.

My case is an Inchworm, his is Marlin. We both bought our cases within a month of each other last year. Has anyone else had a bearing issue with their cases? Does anyone know if this is a common problem?

#3 ·
Wow, my symptoms are just like what Fj fowdie described... Plus, Dylan lost a couple of ball bearings when his Marlin case went. Maybe I'll check in the NorCal section to learn more...

#4 ·
And thanks for the lead, Scuba.

#6 ·
^Will do. I ordered a new bearing and will tear into it on the 8th.

#7 ·
Tear it apart first then order parts. It could be anything from a bad bearing to a loose clip. My lefty was making a crazy grinding sound, i pulled off the drain plug and found bits of c clop attached to it. So drain the fluid and see if anything comes out. Could be something very simple. If you need any help let me know i have built 4 crawl boxes and a lefty. Theres not much too them. I dont know if you built yours, if not you need a pair of huge HEAVY DUTY c clip pliers to get the c clip off the crawl box main coupler.

#8 ·
Gl with that man. The cases are very easy to disassemble but like i said in my thread check the fluid first:) when i first filled mine it was good to go. Drove all the way to LA, wheeled big bear then drove back only to notice a noise. I didnt know the reduction box drained gear oil into the sealed section of the transmission so i was running very low on oil.

#9 ·
Thanks for the info, you guys. I'll be sure to drain and refill my oil. The only reason that I suspect the bearing is because there was no sound at all then, instantly, there was noise. We'll see how that turns out on Friday...

I'll probably be posting up pictures with questions on this thread!

#16 ·
#14 ·
Is the shifter roll pin rubbing on the gears? I had that happen when I tapped it in too far. Do you have that anti chatter sproket on your main gears? I had one and it rubbed on the adapter plate, i pulled it off and no more rubbing noise. Now the gears just chatter like crazy at low rpm/gear, and the gear noise is louder overall.

#17 ·
I just drained both my t-cases. Both came out totally clean. No chunks, no shavings... nothing. I'll pull everything apart tomorrow.

#19 ·
^That's where my buddy found this... caught in the rear plate.

Also, I found my first issue. All 4 bolts on my crawl box support are either loose or missing. Do you think this could be causing the noise?

#22 ·
Here's the real smoking gun:

Looks like a bad bearing?? (Luckily I already bought the replacement!)

#23 ·
So, the truck is all together now. With the new bearing in there, the cases are quiet and smooth. Hopefully they will be leak free, like they were before.

#27 ·
I'll try to get you some measurements this week. I know that Marlin calls this their "proprietary" double row bearing and says that they have it custom made for dual case setups....

Thats crazy! I would send those pics to marlin crawler, perhaps they have a supplier issue.
This is similar to what i saw

Apparently this is common

Here's my theory. I think that the indents in the race line up from time to time. If there is wear, or any out of tolerance spec on the steel ball or the indent in the bearing, the ball pops out. Check it out. I actually was able to push the ball back into it's spot. I can actually spin the inner race and capture the ball inside...