5VZ-FE Load Hesitation, Stutter, Sputter - TTORA Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SafetyDang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
5VZ-FE Load Hesitation, Stutter, Sputter *SOLVED*

I've been chasing this engine stutter for about 1 week now. When parked if I rev the engine with more than 1/2 throttle it will sputter till about ~2,000 RPM. It feels like a misfire with out the CEL. The best way to explain it is a popping sound with a slight hesitation. While accelerating from a stop if I ride the clutch a little it doesn't hesitate. If I slip the clutch and push the pedal half way down it will sputter till ~2,000 RPM then will rev up fine. If I am coasting at ~2,000 RPM or lower and floor it it will sputter in any gear. If I am coasting at ~3,000 RPM and floor it it will rev up but make popping or "misfire" sounds.

No foam or milky looking Oil
Oil was a bit low (Valve cover was seeping)
Radiator fluid in the reservoir was low. Filled with the reservoir with water and it is now green/brown not neon green. Reservoir level hasn't changed this week.
Fluid in the Radiator is neon green still
No pulsating when placing my hand over the radiator cap opening while the engine is running.
Cleaned the MAF and it didn't change.
Replaced the Fuel Filter and it didn't change.
Replaced the Air Filter and it didn't change.
SeaFoam in the gas tank and intake manifold didn't help. (About a minute or two of white smoke)
No white smoke out of Exhaust under normal conditions.
No over heating or change in water temperature.
PVC cleaned and working.
No CEL
O2 sensor changed last year
AFR sensor changed last year
Timing Belt and Water Pump Changed 2011 @ ~90,000 miles

Specs:
119,000 Miles
V6 5VZ-FE
Manual Transmission

Engine Mods:
LCE 38lb Flywheel
Deck Plate

120,000 Mile maintenance parts in the mail.
Plug Wires
Valve Cover Gasket
PCV
Grommets

From what I read I am leaning towards head gasket. Showstop (Tyler) seemed to have similar symptoms. Need to pull the plugs and check for fluid this weekend. I plan to run a chemical test and compression check maybe next week. I haven't checked the TPS but it does register on my Scan Gauge so I think I can rule that out. I was also reading about the IAC but it doesn't sound like my issue.

Anyone know the Ohm reading for the MAF, TPS, or Spark Plug Wires?

Last edited by SafetyDang; 10-12-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Sounds like a coil pack or plugs. They don't always throw a CEL. Pull the plugs and do a compression and/or leak down test if you're really worried. 119,000 on a 5VZ shouldn't have HG issues.

Justin Morgan,

TLCA #23166

Vice Commander Rising Sun 4x4

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35's, SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust

"RedChili"-1987 4runner Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Whats the correct way to test the coils? The only reason I'm worried was due to my low radiator fluid in reservoir as well as the color change only in the reservoir. Could just be rust since I switched to non Toyota radiator fluid.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 08:16 PM

I just buy one and swap one by one until the misfire goes away. Or have a buddy with known good coils and swap one at a time. I'd check plug gap and insulators first though. I've had a tiny fracture in the porcelain arc to the plug tube and cause the same symptoms. Freaked me out.

Justin Morgan,

TLCA #23166

Vice Commander Rising Sun 4x4

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35's, SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust

"RedChili"-1987 4runner Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 03:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to superchiem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
I just buy one and swap one by one until the misfire goes away. Or have a buddy with known good coils and swap one at a time. I'd check plug gap and insulators first though. I've had a tiny fracture in the porcelain arc to the plug tube and cause the same symptoms. Freaked me out.
If only he had a 5vz sitting at home with know good coils. haha. use the one out of the rv.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Solved:

Spark Plug Wires
jwtacoma likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 AM

Garage
Mine did that, it was a coil pack; I replaced the Spark Plugs and Wires too just as a precaution.
Hope that helps.

02 TRDDC 4X4;ARB F/R Lockers;Deaver 11 leaf;CO2 Air Sys;Fox Coilovers wt Res;Bilstein R wt Res;BFG AT TKO II-33" tire;WARN 96805VR8-S Winch/Bull bar; AllPro Rock Guards;Demello Swing Gate.Kenwood Ham Radio & Cobra CB, 1800w Inverter inside;Tuffy Console; F/R Breather Ext;Safari Snorkel;165w Solar Panels (total of 3 Panels)+3000w Pure Sine Power Inv./3-Ylw Top Batteries 2-Solar, 1-Engine linked as db redun; A/C & tools; Custom Leer Alum Shell;10 LED wk lights;18000 Lumen Light Bar.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 PM

Mine was doing the EXACT same thing. No CEL. But threw a multi-cylinder and cylinder 4 misfire code.

Changed plugs - Slightly better driving but not 100%, No CEL, No more codes.

Changed air filter - No change.

Changed plug wires - SOLVED

Denso plugs - Denso (3194) K16TR11

Wires - NGK (4412) TE66 Wire Set

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:34 AM

Smile Knock off Spark Plugs Hong Kong

I Had the same problems so I changed the wires and still had problems I was stumped then I tested the Ohms on the plugs There was no resistance from the plugs I purchased New plugs K16TR-11's from Hong Kong claiming that they were a Lexus Dealer there but it turns out the plugs are Knock off's So remember if the price is too good to be true it probably not! Everyone should be in the habit of test any spark plug before you buy ore in my recent discovery as soon as it comes in the mailbox. Good luck All!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode