Index for electronic FSM - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Index for electronic FSM

I have a '99 factory service manual in electronic form, but it is not as useful as the paper one because it consists of tons of pdf files in a huge tree of cryptically named directories. Some form of a clickable table-of-contents is badly needed.

I know others have a copy of this, has anyone made up a table-of-contents or an index they would be willing to share?

If not, I will make one up myself as a bunch of html files, but it's a lot of typing. I don't want to duplicate someone else's effort if there is one available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Fsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2XS
I have a '99 factory service manual in electronic form, but it is not as useful as the paper one because it consists of tons of pdf files in a huge tree of cryptically named directories. Some form of a clickable table-of-contents is badly needed.

I know others have a copy of this, has anyone made up a table-of-contents or an index they would be willing to share?

If not, I will make one up myself as a bunch of html files, but it's a lot of typing. I don't want to duplicate someone else's effort if there is one available.
that could come in pretty handy. I've got that cd-rom version as well, another member made it for me. Let us know if you find anything! Peace, Wes

New(to me):
2006 Sport Edition 4WD 4Runner
2.5" Bilstein 5100 in front
1.5" spacer out back
265/75R17 Mickey Thompson ATZ's
Eagle Series 140 in 17x8

OLD:
05' TRD 4x4
96' Tacoma 2.7 Ext Cab 5spd w/ a mod or 2

85' 4Runner Build Up Thread
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:53 AM

I did the first level of those codes. I currenty have them on MS Excel. If that would help, email me. maybe we can help each other and do all the sub codes??? The main codes get you into the right file real quick and may be all we really need.

[email protected].

Put Toyota FSM in the subject.

I have the 99 FSM, but would like to see a 2001 manual.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2Steve
I did the first level of those codes. I currenty have them on MS Excel. If that would help, email me. maybe we can help each other and do all the sub codes??? The main codes get you into the right file real quick and may be all we really need.

[email protected].

Put Toyota FSM in the subject.

I have the 99 FSM, but would like to see a 2001 manual.
By "first level" I'm guessing you have links to get you to the right directory for something like "suspension", or "5VZ-FE cooling"?

I don't have Excel on the computer I have the FSM on, so is it possible to get the raw information out in some form of plain-text format? That would save me some of the typing.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 09:09 AM

Just a thought, will take some time but consider paying for a day on Toyota's Tech website and download all the data regarding your truck.

The website is :http://techinfo.toyota.com/

It is about $10 for 24 hour membership. With highspeed it took me 3-4 hours to download hundreds of pdf files. I set up a directory system similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\2000 Toyota Tacoma\Factory Service Manual\Repair Manual\Body Electrical\Headlight Tailight

Makes it easier to save each one as they are almost all named the same thing.

Also, to save time I only saved the directories related to my truck; 2000, V6, Auto, Xtra cab, etc.

After downloading all of the service manual stuff, service bulletins, wiring diagrams, owners manual, etc I took several hours to organize it, give everything a name so I can find it and burn it to a CD, only 45Mb though.

Good luck

2000 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
V6 Sunfire Red Pearl/ Oak
As stock as I can afford
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 02:29 PM

I did what ByrdDog did, except I downloaded everything related to the 2000 Taco, all the TSBs, and even all of the Tech articles for mechanics. I also did the same thing for my 1990 Lexus. Pretty good deal for $10, but you really have to make the directory/folder structure as you go. I just built mine like Toyota's and it was pretty easy. I've started to go through renaming the files so the individual pdf files are easy to identify.

I just wish I knew more about adobe so I could take all the pages for something (say the 150 manual transmissions) and put them all in one file so I wouldn't have to open three or four documents on the same subject. Does anyone know if you can add more pages to a pdf document with the free version of Adobe?

No Tacoma anymore, had to go bigger and couldn't afford a Tundra.

2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamier2
I did what ByrdDog did, except I downloaded everything related to the 2000 Taco, all the TSBs, and even all of the Tech articles for mechanics. I also did the same thing for my 1990 Lexus. Pretty good deal for $10, but you really have to make the directory/folder structure as you go. I just built mine like Toyota's and it was pretty easy. I've started to go through renaming the files so the individual pdf files are easy to identify.

I just wish I knew more about adobe so I could take all the pages for something (say the 150 manual transmissions) and put them all in one file so I wouldn't have to open three or four documents on the same subject. Does anyone know if you can add more pages to a pdf document with the free version of Adobe?
No, you have to have the full version to do that. I started to make an index using the full version but I got lazy and stop. It can be done though. So far I have combined different pages for the clutch "CL" into just one file. You open up just one file, and all the pages are there. If somebody wants to host it, I'll e-mail you what I've done.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member

For those that are DL'ing the 2003 FSM in another thread, there is an index included if you DL the zipped version. If you're html inclined you can rename the links reorganize them as you see fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some chick from American Dad
It's true what they say about geologists, they're the coolest, sexiest men alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudferret
Suck my penal system.
[photos]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrdDog20
Just a thought, will take some time but consider paying for a day on Toyota's Tech website and download all the data regarding your truck.

The website is :http://techinfo.toyota.com/

It is about $10 for 24 hour membership. With highspeed it took me 3-4 hours to download hundreds of pdf files. I set up a directory system similar to this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\2000 Toyota Tacoma\Factory Service Manual\Repair Manual\Body Electrical\Headlight Tailight

Makes it easier to save each one as they are almost all named the same thing.

Also, to save time I only saved the directories related to my truck; 2000, V6, Auto, Xtra cab, etc.

After downloading all of the service manual stuff, service bulletins, wiring diagrams, owners manual, etc I took several hours to organize it, give everything a name so I can find it and burn it to a CD, only 45Mb though.

Good luck
I got a CD, it sounds like the exact same stuff. a whole bunch of directories with files like "insp.pdf" in them. What I am after is an index or table-of-contents to make the whole tree of files as easy to use as the paper manual. It does not sound like techinfo.toyota.com provides a table-of-contents from your description, or am I wrong?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2XS
I got a CD, it sounds like the exact same stuff. a whole bunch of directories with files like "insp.pdf" in them. What I am after is an index or table-of-contents to make the whole tree of files as easy to use as the paper manual. It does not sound like techinfo.toyota.com provides a table-of-contents from your description, or am I wrong?
Check your PM's!

Later,
....Mike
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex9021
If somebody wants to host it, I'll e-mail you what I've done.
I wonder how much it would be to get the editable Adobe version. I would have you send me that, but I already have the same files (if yours are for 2000) on my pc.

No Tacoma anymore, had to go bigger and couldn't afford a Tundra.

2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 Quad Cab
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamier2
I wonder how much it would be to get the editable Adobe version. I would have you send me that, but I already have the same files (if yours are for 2000) on my pc.
I"m working on the 99 FSM. As far as how much it cost, I don't know. A friend loaded it in my computer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode