Reputable shop in bay area? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brain
Reputable shop in bay area?

Early this morning after I got off the freeway, my truck was making some nasty noises. Pulled over, called my step dad and he said he was pretty sure it was rod knock. Got a tow truck and now its sitting in my driveway. Is there any good shop in the bay area that will fix this or is it a lost cause? I didn't drive for very long, MAYBE a block but thats it. Thanks for any help!!!

-The Brain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Don't know of any that I would recommend off the top of my head, Brian. Did you pull the oil pan and have a look yet? That should be your first step. Get under there and give it a good hard look see.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee7
Early this morning after I got off the freeway, my truck was making some nasty noises. Pulled over, called my step dad and he said he was pretty sure it was rod knock. Got a tow truck and now its sitting in my driveway. Is there any good shop in the bay area that will fix this or is it a lost cause? I didn't drive for very long, MAYBE a block but thats it. Thanks for any help!!!
dang, that sucks
my dealership has two top wrenches that I trust but that would be a ways from you. I wouldn't normally recommend a dealership but these guys are pretty darn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

A guy that's been in the auto repair industry for decades said that chances are I spun a bearing and all the metal flakes are running around my engine scratching stuff up. A short term fix would be to just replace the bearings and a long term fix is a rebuilt short block. He also said that he's only replaced a few bearings on cars and never seen them again but that doesn't mean nothing happened to them.

I'm afraid if I pull the oil pan off and start looking for myself I won't have a clue as to what's wrong. Not to mention that it will cost $150 to just have the mechanic drop the oil pan and diagnose the problem. At this point I would rather have a rebuilt short block to drop in only because I don't want to deal with this for a very long time

How much for your spare motor, Dick????

-The Brain
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member

Brian, I don't know of any reputable mechanics in this area that i'd recommend to do that kind of work. Bob has torn into his engine a little, but that was mostly on the upper end, not the lower.

You should just take the oil pan off and remove the main caps one by one and inspect them. I've got the FSM from my 97 that you are more than welcome to use if you want.

Steve
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thanks for your help Steve. Is there any way that a bad knock sensor would cause the knocking? Do our motors even have knock sensors?

-The Brain
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 PM

Quality Import in Antioch.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

brian i have a car trailer here if you need to borrow it.
i just took my car to BP (beetle power) motors in Pleasanton. the guy races baja, started specializing in VW's, and now works on everything. been around a while and i'd go back (just picked my VW up from there== he's worked on it twice).

-Chuck

"Stupidity should be painful"
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 08:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to AngryAndy Send a message via Yahoo to AngryAndy
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchucker
i just took my car to BP (beetle power) motors in Pleasanton. the guy races baja, started specializing in VW's, and now works on everything. been around a while and i'd go back (just picked my VW up from there== he's worked on it twice).
Damn! That dude is still around????

I remember breaking my VW bug in Pleasanton, and it quit on me RIGHT across the street from their shop.....I walked over there and asked if someone could help...he came over, looked for about a minute, and said, 'you need new points'....come here. Sold me some points for like 5 bucks, and walked me thru installling them....VERY NICE people there.

I didn't know they branched out to NON-VW though....

Sorry to hear about your truck, Bri. I think you should drop the pan yourself and take a peek though....

"Soupbowl Challenge Winner 2006"

1997 Xtracab SAS Tacoma
1989 SAS 4runner "Project Angry"
2007 FJ Cruiser
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yes our engines have knock sensors, at least the 3.4L does. I doubt a bad knock sensor would cause that problem. It really only comes into play with a lot of loading on the engine i.e. you're gettin on it and then only at lower RPMs. Because of engine noise I think the ECU blanks it out at higher RPM and high load. A spun bearing could be a possability.
You ain't gettin my engine unless you pay a whole lot of money, more than you want to anyway. My advise is to shop the salvage yards for a good replacement engine. Toyota wants a whole lotta money for their stuff and they don't have a good engine program in place. At least not one that I've heard about. My dealership parts guy said that dealers have been on Toyota to put one into place for a long time now but still no cigar. For what they want for just a short block you can pick up a Summit catalog and get a full blown ready to rock small block crate engine or two.

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe we should all show up at Brains this weekend for a wrenchathon to maybe figure out what's wrong with it.

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
call the two local Japan engine places (South City and Oakland) and see what they have at the moment. A while back the 3.4s were going for $1500-2500 depending on ? I have no idea. all have under 35k miles and have a guarantee.

or, how about dropping a new 4.0 in there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchucker
Thanks Chuck, I'll keep your trailer and BP in mind

-The Brain
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Andy
Damn! That dude is still around????

I remember breaking my VW bug in Pleasanton, and it quit on me RIGHT across the street from their shop.....I walked over there and asked if someone could help...he came over, looked for about a minute, and said, 'you need new points'....come here. Sold me some points for like 5 bucks, and walked me thru installling them....VERY NICE people there.

I didn't know they branched out to NON-VW though....

Sorry to hear about your truck, Bri. I think you should drop the pan yourself and take a peek though....
Talk about breaking down at the right place! I ended up just having it towed around the corner to this guys shop. We'll see what he finds! Hopefully he'll be able to give me a quote on finding and installing a rebuilt. If it ends up being too much, I'll definitely have to find a motor myself and have a little wrechathon at my place

-The Brain
post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster
Yes our engines have knock sensors, at least the 3.4L does. I doubt a bad knock sensor would cause that problem. It really only comes into play with a lot of loading on the engine i.e. you're gettin on it and then only at lower RPMs. Because of engine noise I think the ECU blanks it out at higher RPM and high load. A spun bearing could be a possability.
You ain't gettin my engine unless you pay a whole lot of money, more than you want to anyway. My advise is to shop the salvage yards for a good replacement engine. Toyota wants a whole lotta money for their stuff and they don't have a good engine program in place. At least not one that I've heard about. My dealership parts guy said that dealers have been on Toyota to put one into place for a long time now but still no cigar. For what they want for just a short block you can pick up a Summit catalog and get a full blown ready to rock small block crate engine or two.
I'm wondering if I'd be able to pull off an engine swap. As you may know, my truck is a federal truck. Doesn't have all the California smog stuff on it. I am really curious if I'd be able to swap in a 350 without troubles LOL

-The Brain
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor
call the two local Japan engine places (South City and Oakland) and see what they have at the moment. A while back the 3.4s were going for $1500-2500 depending on ? I have no idea. all have under 35k miles and have a guarantee.

or, how about dropping a new 4.0 in there?
Thanks for the info, Chris! I'll definitely check those places out

-The Brain
post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Good news! Japan Engines in Oakland has V6 Tacoma motors for $1650 with an unlimited amount of miles in a certain amount of years or months. That price is also including heads too (which I may or may not need)

One thing I have heard about those motors from Japan is that the Japanese run the shit out of their cars and get rid of them after a certain amount of miles (32k-35k). Can anyone confirm this?

-The Brain
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

In Japan they have some strange law that makes it cheaper to have a new car than to keep an old one and keep registering it every year. I think the cost for registration keeps going up every year you keep it.

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
In Japan they have some strange law that makes it cheaper to have a new car than to keep an old one and keep registering it every year. I think the cost for registration keeps going up every year you keep it.
I'm part Japanese. My grandma is full, maybe I should ask her

-The Brain
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to AngryAndy Send a message via Yahoo to AngryAndy
Quote:
Good news! Japan Engines in Oakland has V6 Tacoma motors for $1650 with an unlimited amount of miles in a certain amount of years or months. That price is also including heads too (which I may or may not need)

One thing I have heard about those motors from Japan is that the Japanese run the shit out of their cars and get rid of them after a certain amount of miles (32k-35k). Can anyone confirm this?

Thats a decent price!

I have my camper shell on currently, but if I could get a third person to come help pull it off with mike and myself....I would be glad to pick the motor up for you since I work in Oakland every day......(that is, IF you go that route)....

Unless its palletized, it might fit with the shell on, but its probably better to remove it anyways.........

Just an option for ya....im glad to help out if I can.

"Soupbowl Challenge Winner 2006"

1997 Xtracab SAS Tacoma
1989 SAS 4runner "Project Angry"
2007 FJ Cruiser
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member

I think you could probably find out what the story is on the web. SEARCH!!! LOL

post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Andy
Thats a decent price!

I have my camper shell on currently, but if I could get a third person to come help pull it off with mike and myself....I would be glad to pick the motor up for you since I work in Oakland every day......(that is, IF you go that route)....

Unless its palletized, it might fit with the shell on, but its probably better to remove it anyways.........

Just an option for ya....im glad to help out if I can.
Thanks for your help Andy! I'm going to have to call the mechanic tomorrow and see what the deal is with the truck. Maybe he will be able to just replace the bearings and have it be ok? Who knows

$1650 for a long block motor is a damn good deal. Toyota dealership wants $2900 for a brand new short block. Kragen (wasn't my first choice, obviously!) wanted $4000 for a brand new (or remanufactured?) long block.

-The Brain
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think you could probably find out what the story is on the web. SEARCH!!! LOL
How would you search that? "Whats the dilly-yo with motors from Japan?"

I'll see what I can find

-The Brain
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Taken directly from the www.japanengine.com website

"Q. Why do they pull these engines out of cars there?

A. Cars in Japan get routinely inspected (every 3-5 years) as required by the governement. They put a avery hefty fine for those who don't pass the government inspection. Plus, they still need to get the necessary repair done in order to make their cars pass. By the way, just the inspection fee alone averages around $1500.00 not to mention the fine and repair cost. You can easily accumulate a bill worth $5,000 or more when these inspections are due. A lot of these car owners give up their cars to the local wrecking yard to avoid the repair bill. Instead, they use their "repair and inspection" money to make a down payment for a new car."

-The Brain
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 PM

Try Toyota pro in concord. I've only had them do stuff like smog and a occasional oil change but they were honest. If you buy a engine thru japanengines.com in San leandro, let me know. I live 10 miles away from that place. I can pick it up for you and drop it in Dublin. Besides, I've been wanting to check out a sas conversion upclose.

Jeff

Last edited by OBATDDSD; 12-07-2005 at 08:42 PM.
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBATDDSD
Try Toyota pro in concord. I've only had them do stuff like smog and a occasional oil change but they were honest. If you buy a engine thru japanengines.com in San leandro, let me know. I live 10 miles away from that place. I can pick it up for you and drop it in Dublin. Besides, I've been wanting to check out a sas conversion upclose.

Jeff
Thanks for the offer Jeff! I'll keep you in mind Once my truck is back in my hands, you are more than welcome to come out and check it if you want.

-The Brain
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Jeff! I'll keep you in mind Once my truck is back in my hands, you are more than welcome to come out and check it if you want.
Sorry about your motor bro. How many miles do you have on it.

Jim

2003 4x4 V6 TRD
SC with URD kit, Aquamist 2D, 2.2 Gen 2 Super Grip Pulley, Donahoe Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Deaver Leaf Pack, Goodyear MTR 265/75/16, Alpine 9830, Sirius Sat. Alp1., Corbeau Legacy Seats,
post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Doody
Sorry about your motor bro. How many miles do you have on it.
Almost 113k

-The Brain
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Almost 113k

thats not a lot miles for our engines. Its still new

Jim

2003 4x4 V6 TRD
SC with URD kit, Aquamist 2D, 2.2 Gen 2 Super Grip Pulley, Donahoe Coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Deaver Leaf Pack, Goodyear MTR 265/75/16, Alpine 9830, Sirius Sat. Alp1., Corbeau Legacy Seats,
post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Doody
thats not a lot miles for our engines. Its still new
No shit! I must've done something really wrong. I did leave it sitting for like 4 days, maybe that had something to do with it?

-The Brain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode