Radiator replacement - TTORA Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ShowStop
  • 1 Post By lunarmist02
  • 1 Post By lunarmist02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

My factory radiator finally started leaking after 14yrs, 190,000 mi.. I was debating getting another factory one, and researching aftermarket radiator's was driving me crazy. I decided to give a Koyo replacement a try (c1774). Ordered it through auto zone, said it was for a manual trans but after receiving it I see that it has auto trans fluid ports. Size was correct for my application.

Although the box looked beat up and possibly opened before, the radiator was bubble wrapped and banded, appears to be undamaged. The lower mounting holes gave me a hard time, off just enough to be a pain. The core design is noticeably different, 2 rows instead of 1, tighter fin spacing and I could be wrong, but it appears to be copper core, painted black. These differences had me questioning my decision.

The purpose of the post is to be informative but also to get input on this radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
I think all the aftermarket radiators have auto cooler lines. The one I got does. I just capped the lines. I did have to re-use the factory mounting brackets since the aftermarket brackets didn't line up at all.
Sparky of SoCal likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to SafetyDang
I did the auto to manual conversion... Left my radiator alone and capped the ends. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yep, I left the caps on, not worried about it. Just mentioned it because it came up as being for a manual trans in auto zones system. What I do worry about is the core material, if in fact it is copper, not sure if that will have any negative affects. Also the tighter fins spacing along with the smaller rows, although it's 2 rows instead of 1.

Average running temp has always been 186, hitting 190 sometimes on uphill climbs. I'm seeing 188-190 alot more often with this new radiator, not just on uphill pulls, but 186 is still average. Going downhill for some reason makes it run cool, always has, sometimes dropping to 182 before returning to the average 186.
SafetyDang likes this.

02 Tacoma TRD 4x4, Ome 882's, Dakars, Bils, 4crawler 1" bl, CBI sliders...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 07:41 PM

quote=lunarmist02;2701882]Yep, I left the caps on, not worried about it. Just mentioned it because it came up as being for a manual trans in auto zones system. What I do worry about is the core material, if in fact it is copper, not sure if that will have any negative affects. Also the tighter fins spacing along with the smaller rows, although it's 2 rows instead of 1.

Average running temp has always been 186, hitting 190 sometimes on uphill climbs. I'm seeing 188-190 alot more often with this new radiator, not just on uphill pulls, but 186 is still average. Going downhill for some reason makes it run cool, always has, sometimes dropping to 182 before returning to the average 186.[/quote]

Obviously, OEM radiators have aluminum cores with plastic tanks, with copper radiators, maybe radiator shops can fix them if leaks again. Or might be cheaper buy another radiator, or not.

1991 Toyota XCab 4x4, 3.0 V6, LCE Performance Cold Air Intake, Crane Cam Ignition System, NGK 6341 IridiumIX Spark Plugs, 5 Spd. Manual, with Marlin Crawler Short Throw Shifter, 5.29 Gears with Detroit Lockers. 35x12.5-15 BFG KM2s, ALCOA RIMs. My Daily Driver!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETrOi529 View Post
quote=lunarmist02;2701882]Yep, I left the caps on, not worried about it. Just mentioned it because it came up as being for a manual trans in auto zones system. What I do worry about is the core material, if in fact it is copper, not sure if that will have any negative affects. Also the tighter fins spacing along with the smaller rows, although it's 2 rows instead of 1.

Average running temp has always been 186, hitting 190 sometimes on uphill climbs. I'm seeing 188-190 alot more often with this new radiator, not just on uphill pulls, but 186 is still average. Going downhill for some reason makes it run cool, always has, sometimes dropping to 182 before returning to the average 186.
Obviously, OEM radiators have aluminum cores with plastic tanks, with copper radiators, maybe radiator shops can fix them if leaks again. Or might be cheaper buy another radiator, or not.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are trying to say.
SafetyDang likes this.

02 Tacoma TRD 4x4, Ome 882's, Dakars, Bils, 4crawler 1" bl, CBI sliders...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode