Frame swapped now 4WD high doesn't work - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Frame swapped now 4WD high doesn't work

03 V6. Had the frame swapped earlier last year and got it back in September. Didn't think to check if the 4wd worked after I took possession. For awhile I thought my 4wd worked and the light was just burnt out (my cruise control light is burnt out too so it's not too far of a stretch).

So fast forward to January when I discovered it actually not working... The button can depress but nothing happens, however when I shift to 4wd low, the light comes on and you can hear it activating the 4wd. I even lifted the truck to confirm that I do have 4wd low, but not 4wd high. I've tried pressing the button, shifting to low watch it activate, then back to high but it turns off. There is nothing unplugged that I can see from under the truck (that was my first thought) and fuses are fine. Didn't test relay because I figured it wouldn't go into 4wd low if the relay has gone bad.

I've read that 2nd gens have problems with the leads in the motor on the front diff and people take them apart to solder them then it works. Has there been any documented issue with this in first gens? I find it highly unlikely that is the issue though as it worked when I delivered the truck. The dealer denies that they did something wrong and since it's been so long after I took the vehicle (called them in January) they claimed it's too late.

So any potential thoughts? I had a LOT of problems with my truck when I got it back and this is obviously another problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:20 PM
Zog

Did you pull off the plastic around the shifter and verify the small plug inside the xfer case shifter boot is connected? I just finished my Prerunner to 4WD swap a few days ago on my '02 and the 2-4 switch goes directly into the same Xfer case computer as the 4LO signal so you ought to at least hear the ADD engage for 4HI just as it does for your 4LO that is working if it was anything else. The 4WD light will flash if it is unhappy about any other signals coming from the transfer case actuator.

As far as the problem with leads on the ADD, it wouldn't work in 4LO either if that was the issue.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Zog, I did not. However I'm not sure you have the same setup; mine has the push button activation for 4wd high. When I press it, I do not hear the ADD, I only hear it when I shift the xfer case to neutral. Would I need to remove plastic from inside the truck or check underneath the truck?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 11:51 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Need to check the 4WD button connector just under the shifter. Remove the shifter cover and check that the cable is connected. After that, you need to confirm the transfer actuator is working and that it is locking into 4WD. The switches on that actuator confirm if 4WD HI is engaged. The actuator is known to get dirty, so you might have to diassemble and clean. But before that, also confirm the ADD is plugged in and working.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check that connector tonight. I already checked the ADD connection. Haven't checked the other I don't think.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Zog and SS, I've been meaning to come back and update but forgot. Sure enough, that little two pin connector was disconnected. Why the hell did they have to disconnect it in the first place?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in