Front End Questions - TTORA Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scuba

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Front End Questions

Ok, sorry if these are repeat/stupid questions. I've been reading for hours and can't find some info.

Just bought a 2003 Tacoma Doublecab 4x4 with 203K Miles and it needs some front end work.

#1 -- Wheel bearing -- are there any assemblies? Is buying a bearing and pressing it the only option? I did buy one bearing off eBay (I know, probably junk) but it looks too big so I put my truck back together and never took it to the machine shop. Or does it press out the front (rather than the back). Maybe it wasn't too big? Can you point me in the right direction for a decent quality part?

#2 -- It needs tie rod ends, ball joints etc. Going to do the Tundra brake upgrade too. So on ball joints and tie rod ends. Is Moog the only decent brand? Anything on eBay decent quality? Budget matters, but I don't want junk either.

Thanks for any help. Looking forward to getting this truck fixed up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

The bearing has a lock nut on the back of the spindle. It needs a 20 ton press to press it out.
I used to think Moog was decent until I bent an outer tie rod by hitting a curb at 10 mph.
In my honest opinion, for those steering and suspension parts, I’d stick with OEM. I never had much luck or longevity with the aftermarket options.
There are discounted OEM parts suppliers that sponsor our site.
I use toyotapartsdeal.com for great prices, service, and quick shipping.
equin likes this.

99 Single Cab 2.7. Finally SAS'd and sitting on full width Toyota axles.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:49 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
The wheel bearing is big and not fun to replace. Make sure your mechanic knows what they are doing if they are replacing the bearing.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 07:43 PM

Hey Toyo Forever,

If it's the lower ball joints and yours are original, you might wanna see if they're covered by a recall. I had the lowers in my 2002 covered when I had about 140,000 on 'er. Could be worth a quick google search.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:09 PM

Just buy the whole bearing hub at the same time. Probably cheaper than the cost to just press the bearing on. Just bought 2 for my FJ cruiser 45$ each on amazon. You can't buy the bearing and seal for that... My stockers lasted about 40k and 42k. Got 80k now and both after markets are still good but I broke both CV axles so I'm swapping them both again this week. 35" murders, 6" lift, lockers and lots of skinny pedal break lots of parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190326_184847_1553746153625.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	48623  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:15 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemony View Post
Just buy the whole bearing hub at the same time. Probably cheaper than the cost to just press the bearing on. Just bought 2 for my FJ cruiser 45$ each on amazon. You can't buy the bearing and seal for that... My stockers lasted about 40k and 42k. Got 80k now and both after markets are still good but I broke both CV axles so I'm swapping them both again this week. 35" murders, 6" lift, lockers and lots of skinny pedal break lots of parts.
Not an option for the 2004 and older Tacomas. Those bearings are pressed into the spindle. The newer 2005+ models have the bolt on hub.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I ended up replacing both wheel bearings. Took spindles off myself and took to a machine shop to press bearings out etc. Correct, 2003 has press in bearings. No such thing as a bolt on assembly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to ricomann
What did they charge you too r&r your bearings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'95 Taco-SR5-AT-ADD-SAW 2.0-Deaver 8 leafs
Ask me how I'm at 295k miles
Oh, what a feeling!
AMSOIL dealer 500001

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode