TTORA Forum banner

98-04 Tacoma Frame Dimensions

21K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  barnaby 
#1 ·
#6 ·
No problem. Glad I could help.

I also found a jewel that may be well-known, but it wasn't to me. I found it on Pirate tonight....surprisingly, it was buried in an old thread that was revived by a newbie that was replying to a year-old post. It's a Toyota Wiring Repair Manual. The thing is 418 pages of geeky, Toyota wiring goodness. It's awesome. I need to add it to the Wiki as well. It's a nice, tidy pdf file.

#9 ·
Josh,

I started looking more closely at the frame dims. They don't give all the exact points of the bends.

However, you're still my hero. Why? Each spec (above view and side view) is still drawn to scale. I just used a micrometer and found the difference between the shown value and a known value that's printed, and found the scale factor. Then I wrote down all the scale factors.

So people don't have to do this later on, I'll post the CAD file on the Wiki so that anyone that wants to make frame plates, now have the dimensions up, and if they want to do like I am doing, input the springs and give them a better idea of what they're workin with.

Thanks, you da man!

-P

#11 ·
No problem Phill. Yeah, I didn't know if those would have all of the specs that you were looking for or not. Glad you could get what you wanted though. Those specs came from the Collision Repair portion of TIS. They're mainly for body shops to use in order to repair frame damage I believe. Anyway, I'm glad I could help out. If you need anything else, just let me know.

#12 ·
I don't know if it exists, but if there's a spec sheet that shows the fenders in relation to the frame that would be another bonus. Mainly just the fender opening for the wheel is all I really need to figure out how far forward this axle is going to run me.

#17 ·
Let me try and host it on my FTP. If anyone needs it sooner, e-mail me at norcalpr@ttora.com

It's a 2mb zip.

Like I said before, you'll have to use a caliper to the known dimensions, to give you a "scale" for the drawing". From that scale, you can then get any dimension you want from the frame drawing.

-Phill

#19 ·
#22 ·
I'm going to ask the parts guys at my local dealership of this is something they can pull up. Give me a couple days to see. I had no idea something like this existed, and it would be so helpful to have. I could certainly use this with the frame repair I'm getting into.

I wonder why NorcalPR doesn't have it anymore. I tried reaching out to him, but his PM box is full and the email got returned.

#23 ·
I can double check but I'm certain I don't have it anymore. The link I have is dead, and the paper I printed it on can't be found. Maybe it's in my file cabinet, I'll double check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Ugh, I know how that goes. I have notepads that I have jotted designs/plans/dimensions etc., or notes about something I was researching that I'll go on hunts for...sometimes tearing the whole house apart in the process. Most amazing is all the other stuff you re-find while looking for the specific thing you're hunting for, LOL!:D

#27 ·
Found it! I must of found it and put it away in my file cabinet when I moved, along with all my other drawings of brackets I made when I sas'd.

Here's the link on google docs

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8z0CQ6-Uom8dGtvd29DT1hNcFE/view?usp=sharing

The drawing is to scale from what I can tell. When I drew the front section of the frame to come up with spring placement, I was able to use a dial caliper to measure points on the frame, and multiply by the scale factor to come up with the actual dimension. Crude, but it works...

The numbers hand written IIRC is the scale factor. You can verify by measuring a known point with a dial caliper, and comparing the measurement to the actual value on the sheet.

Of course if you are looking for dimensions between body mounts, then you won't have to do any measuring...

I don't have the double cab or reg cab pages for sure, but that is at least the dims for a 01-04 xtra cab.

#28 ·
Phill, you're the man! I'm figuring that I can use this to make perfectly shaped plates! Thanks for going through the trouble to find it.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.