Domino Runner - Page 2 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
dont you want some boggers for that runner
not a chance. I've run them. Didn't like 'em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
dont you want some boggers for that runner
That was almost a good try, Glen
post #33 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
not a chance. I've run them. Didn't like 'em.

fwiw I didnt like them either.

AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com

post #34 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan7118 View Post
That was almost a good try, Glen
I try

entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
post #35 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Not the greatest pictures... But my work in progress.

And what remains of the old rig.

post #36 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM

Question

I like the bob & tailgate idea. That's gonna' look very unique. I also believe that if you get that done AND get the top bob'ed to match, then you got something to write home about. I've never seen a 4runner top that was bob'ed. After looking at the picture you posted, I'm wondering where to cut? How about a slanted section taken out right between the front & rear window? Or, would you section across a window & have a glass guy cut a new from the old pattern. That could be a eye turner . . . although it might end up looking like a tracker or something ? ?

OldTruck38
'86 Toyota 4x4 IFS pickup - faded black, Lincoln locked
31" LTB's, Smittybilt 8K winch, Faber Fab slider & front bumper

'72 Toyota FJ40 - sky blue - stock

http://community.webshots.com/user/oldtruck38

TLCA - 17570
Blue Rib Col - 51402
post #37 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTruck View Post
I like the bob & tailgate idea. That's gonna' look very unique. I also believe that if you get that done AND get the top bob'ed to match, then you got something to write home about. I've never seen a 4runner top that was bob'ed. After looking at the picture you posted, I'm wondering where to cut? How about a slanted section taken out right between the front & rear window? Or, would you section across a window & have a glass guy cut a new from the old pattern. That could be a eye turner . . . although it might end up looking like a tracker or something ? ?
There's two theories on that. Some guys cut through the front sliding window area, remove the square shaped glass piece, and lose the ability for the window to slide. If I do it, I'd cut through the rear glass area and either form a piece of lexan to fit or just bend a sheet of steel and get rid of the glass all together.
post #38 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Oddmar came up with this pic of a second gen runner

post #39 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

here's a friend from Kansas's runner

post #40 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

For sake of passenger's view, I agree with cutting out the back windows and grafting in a piece of plastic. I saw where a guy used a heat gun and his old windows for templates (bending platforms) to match the contour.

Makes me wish I didn't have so much in the way of bobbin'. Dang that huge Ford gas tank
post #41 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

another pic of the same Kansas 4runner about 10 pages earlier in his build

post #42 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.930

post #43 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
another pic of the same Kansas 4runner about 10 pages earlier in his build
Is it just me or does that look like

Arkansas TTORA
www.ar-ttora.com

2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab V-6 4wd
Dana 44 Front Axle/ARB Locker/Rear LockRight
4.88's
ARB Bumper/Warn M8000/Amsteel Line
4xInnovations Sliders
Torch Worx Fab Rear Bumper
37x12.50/17 Cooper STT's/Black Steelies
Viair 450c OBA System
Uniden Pro520xl CB w/ 5 ft. Hustler whip
post #44 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky Tacoma View Post
Is it just me or does that look like
Its not just you.

I'm not gonna waste my time reading but I'm curious...Did he actually pony up for a bender? Harbor freight dosent count btw.

I really doubt ya ever get the top bobbed after wheeling this thing, Aaron. Its sacrificial and unneeded weight. Just cut it into a hard bikini top and for some shade, and protection from the weather, and call it done.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
post #45 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to LDT98
Looking good man! Here's a link to one of my favorite bobbed 4runners figure it might be some inspiration for ya. http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=714455&page=4
post #46 of 190 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
I really doubt ya ever get the top bobbed after wheeling this thing, Aaron. Its sacrificial and unneeded weight. Just cut it into a hard bikini top and for some shade, and protection from the weather, and call it done.
You might be right. It's definitely low on my list of priorities.
post #47 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Not a lot of progress so far. Brakes and steering are hooked up. Went with an fj80 master to try and fix the sloppy brake pedal I had. Still need to pull the oil pan and check the rod bearings and order some rear springs. Then it's headed to Bismarck for some welding..
post #48 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ordered some stuff today. MC07, clutch, dual case crossmember, and new spring hangers for the chevies. Decided not to go with aftermarket springs since they would have only saved me 1.9" on the back. Wasn't worth $400 to me when the chevy springs work just fine. I'm hoping to get the black truck chopped up some more this weekend so I can haul it off.
post #49 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ordered some stuff today. MC07, clutch, dual case crossmember, and new spring hangers for the chevies. Decided not to go with aftermarket springs since they would have only saved me 1.9" on the back. Wasn't worth $400 to me when the chevy springs work just fine. I'm hoping to get the black truck chopped up some more this weekend so I can haul it off.
Be shure and take pics of the progress, and let me know when your ready for a family cag for that thing.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

post #50 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Be shure and take pics of the progress, and let me know when your ready for a family cag for that thing.
I'm planning to take pictures as I go. I'd like to document this build-up better than I did the old truck. It's just hard to stop and get the camera out when you're focused on getting some stuff done. And I'll be sure to hit you up when I'm ready to build the cage. I'm seriously considering starting off with the 4xinnovations kit and adding to it. He's got a lot of the hard work already done. http://4xinnovations.com/p-4RIC.html Gotta get the sliders and bumpers done first though..
post #51 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

I like the cage but I highly rcommend asking a few quetions. 1st what size wall thickness and hrew or chromolly tube. Thats the most common and the 1st questions most everyone asks. I also recommend tieing through the floor to the frame. Even sandwiching the floorboards with plates is a good idea, and better than nothing, but going through the tub with some 1 1/2 sleved inside the 1 1/4 or something like that is the safest. Even tying through to bushings mounted to the frame with tabs is a damn good idea. I think the front legs (A pillars) on that cage tie over the factory body mounts. If so itl be way hard to tie into the frame atleast at that point.

I am having serious issues continuing to allow passengers in my rig after tweaking the cage with the rollovers. I suppose I just need to break it down and redo it, but its is a money thing afterall. I can rest easy with the understanding that the cage is compromised, if its just me, but when my family or a friend are in there with me, I cringe inside a little when things get a bit harry. On the plus side it has helped me to curb my ballsout wheeling style a bit. Thats good thing I think. Before I would have prolly tried way harder on adventure trail, or trails like that before taking cable.

To summerize, how often do ya plan on having your son or wife with you on the hard stuff? I'm shure you would prolly make the descesion to have em get out before I would. Heck my son actually pushes me to do harder stuff, then grumbles with disapointment when I make him get out

post #52 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

It's 1.75"x.120 DOM. I would at least sandwich the floor with plates on both sides and possibly tie the bottom plates into the frame with bushings. I don't think tying into the frame is all that necessary inside the cab portion, but I'd like it in the rear, so why not do it all.

As far as wheeling the hard stuff, I don't see Ashley ever staying in the truck for a 5 rated trail and Weston won't be either for many years to come. My wheeling style is a little different than yours or Daniel's. I'm perfectly happy staying off the 5's when the family is along and I try to stay off the stupid stuff even when it's just me. I'd never take the wife and kid onto a trail where I was seriously concerned I could roll. The cage is for those times that the trail should be doable but a mental error causes a roll/flop.
post #53 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The old rig is looking worse every day! Got a couple more things to cut off and it's going to the scrapyard.

post #54 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

What's the story on the XtraCab, Aaron?

Glad to see there's another 4Runner on the board that'll hit some 4s and 5s... when I get back to wheelin'
post #55 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan7118 View Post
What's the story on the XtraCab, Aaron?

Glad to see there's another 4Runner on the board that'll hit some 4s and 5s... when I get back to wheelin'
Daniel and I picked it up as a parts truck. I'm robbing the w56 and all the clutch stuff out of it and Daniel had planned on doing a cab swap down the road. He's now decided if he's gonna go through all that work, he might as well get a 4runner himself. The frame is sold and once I get what I need off of it I'll try to sell the cab, but if it sits too long it'll end up joining my black truck and cory's 4runner.
post #56 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Trading the cage off for a tcase ebrake tomorrow. Was hoping for some cash, but having an e brake will be nice too.
post #57 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Trading the cage off for a tcase ebrake tomorrow. Was hoping for some cash, but having an e brake will be nice too.
getting rid of the auto tranny??

post #58 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
getting rid of the auto tranny??
Yup. I may wheel on it once just to see what it's like, but I've got everything ordered to swap in a w56 with 2.28/4.7 dual cases.
post #59 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yup. I may wheel on it once just to see what it's like, but I've got everything ordered to swap in a w56 with 2.28/4.7 dual cases.
as Jordan would say

woot!

post #60 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
as Jordan would say

woot!
Ha ha! There's an emoticon on hardlinecrawlers that says woot and cracks me up... Guess I carried it here... Thanks for thinking of me! Woot!

Aaron, don't trash the cab just yet. I can find a good home for it if need be. I hate to see good sheetmetal get the crunch : (

you're gonna love duals and efi!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode