Need some custom suspension work done - Page 2 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

The time finally came, I'm sick of the ride on the stock air bags. A month or two ago I purchased an Overland Warehouse coil-over kit for the front. About a week after I got them, it was announced that they are going out of business. I was lucky enough to find a guy selling a OW rear kit to match my front last week. A few months back I also found a guy selling the isolators that go on top of the coils, got them for $15 instead of paying the $120+ for new. I went to Home Depot and purchased a small metal strip to use for the brackets, got those made yesterday. Today, I did the conversion. It was all very straightforward, although it did take me some time to figure out how to disconnect the air line (you undo a clip but the line is still connected, you have to pull pretty hard on the line to get it disconnected). Overall the job took 3 hours and ride height appears to be perfect. I'll know more when I get more miles on and it settles (only about 10 miles so far). Initial impression is that the ride quality is greatly improved, definitely from the coils (I ran with just the OW shocks, which are made by Radflo, for about a week and it wasn't much different).

I just wanted to say thank you to each of you that commented on this thread. It was a very simple project, but going in I was making it out to be way more complicated. Without this thread, I probably would not have considered doing this myself. In the end, glad I did.

Parts:

What I used to connect the lower brackets, may not be the strongest but I don't expect these to get much pressure:

Close up of the brackets:

Stock airbag:

Coils installed:

Brackets installed:

Again, thanks to all who posted here to help me get this done.

2003 4runner Limited v8 4x4
Bilstein 5100 & OME Coils | 1/2" Body Lift | 285/70/17 Duratrac's | Spidertrax | JL Audio amp/sub in stock enclosure | Rerouted exhaust
1987 4runner 4 cyl 5 speed
Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

Awesome! Good work!

AR-TTORA Memphis Sub-Chapter TEAM Leader

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode