My *new* 88 Pickup - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

My *new* 88 Pickup

I've been toying with the idea of getting an older rig for hunting/wheeling and keeping my 03 4runner as a nice daily driver. This past weekend I ran across a 88 Pickup on a dealer lot. Went and drove it Monday, negotiated the price down quite a bit, and drove it home. There are things it needs, but overall seems to be a very solid rig and will do well. It's a 22-RE 5 speed with 228k miles. It's been repainted at some point, not the best job but wasn't real focused on that, it was nice enough. As far as I can tell it's mostly stock. It has had bucket seats swapped in and is sitting on 31x10.50's. My dad has a 87 4runner 5 speed and I test drove another 87 4runner auto, in comparison this motor seems very strong. Not sure if it's been modified or maybe different gear ratios, but definitely pulls much better (could be weight difference as well).

Anyway, goal for the rig is going to be a good hunting rig and wheeler. At this point I'm more interested in expo type stuff than crawling, but I'll probably do a little of everything. It will be a mild build, not looking to get into anything extreme with it. Will start with a basic lift/tires and maybe bumpers. Already have sliders ordered. Don't know a whole lot about these rigs, so any input/suggestions would be appreciated.

All I have right now are a couple cell phone pics I snapped on the lot, will be posting more when I have time to get it out on the trails.

2003 4runner Limited v8 4x4
Bilstein 5100 & OME Coils | 1/2" Body Lift | 285/70/17 Duratrac's | Spidertrax | JL Audio amp/sub in stock enclosure | Rerouted exhaust
1987 4runner 4 cyl 5 speed
Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Looks clean

Keep it nice!!!

AR-TTORA Memphis Sub-Chapter TEAM Leader
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

The pics make it look a lot cleaner than it is. It has it's issues/imperfections, and it's gonna be used. As I said, not really going to be crawling with it (wouldn't have bought a IFS if I were), mostly mountain trails, especially during hunting season.

Bilstein 5100 & OME Coils | 1/2" Body Lift | 285/70/17 Duratrac's | Spidertrax | JL Audio amp/sub in stock enclosure | Rerouted exhaust
Stock for now

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARK_SWAMP_RIDER View Post
The pics make it look a lot cleaner than it is. It has it's issues/imperfections, and it's gonna be used. As I said, not really going to be crawling with it (wouldn't have bought a IFS if I were), mostly mountain trails, especially during hunting season.
I crawled my IFS runner and it did great!. IFS is not that bad.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

I guess that's my point, what crawling I will do, the IFS will be plenty good enough. Anyway, got it detailed, did the zuk mod on the rear as a quick fix to get rid of some of the sag, removed the tube steps in preparation for sliders, and took the tool box out (too big for this truck and wasn't installed right).

Stock for now
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Looks nice, mayne!

AR-TTORA Memphis Sub-Chapter TEAM Leader

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode