gittinit - fixinit (AKA The UglyDuckling) - Page 2 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg View Post
i dont blame her, i'd get scared too
It seems my daughter got a little boost of confidence today. I floped my rig with both kids in there buckled up safely. The dog jumped out, but the kids just hung in there, literally. My son has floped with be on other occasions, but my daughter never has. After the flop we met my wife and she jumped in to join for a ride. My daughter said "don't worry mom I'm used to this stuff" with a confident tone. I couldn't have been more proud!

Oh and the test drive was great, nothing broke, and the detroit is working great. I still get a little click noise in the front here and there, but I'm betting its just my ghetto square shaft working like it should as the locker enguages and disenguages.

Mabye Bo will have some pics of my flop? I know he had a camera out there, but I'm not shure if they got any descent pics, couse he ran to my kidds aid after the flop. Thanks Bo!

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 PM

Git,
Good to hear you got your new locker broken in. I bet you were worried about your daughter's reaction after flopping your rig ... sounds like a gentle lay on the side ... maybe just what she needed for that confidence builder. We ya'll at AR S&G? I guess you're getting ready for that road trip to FN next weekend? Have a good week.
OT

OldTruck38
'86 Toyota 4x4 IFS pickup - faded black, Lincoln locked
31" LTB's, Smittybilt 8K winch, Faber Fab slider & front bumper

'72 Toyota FJ40 - sky blue - stock

http://community.webshots.com/user/oldtruck38

TLCA - 17570
Blue Rib Col - 51402
post #33 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTruck View Post
Git,
Good to hear you got your new locker broken in. I bet you were worried about your daughter's reaction after flopping your rig ... sounds like a gentle lay on the side ... maybe just what she needed for that confidence builder. We ya'll at AR S&G? I guess you're getting ready for that road trip to FN next weekend? Have a good week.
OT
Ya thats right the truck went over nice and easy and with the previous days rain the ground was soft and spongy. That was a good thing couse it gave us a nice soft landing, but if it had been a little more firm I might not have had to spin em, and might have had more controll as well. Yup I,m hyped bout taking the family to FlatNasty this weekend.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

post #34 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
Ya thats right the truck went over nice and easy and with the previous days rain the ground was soft and spongy. That was a good thing couse it gave us a nice soft landing, but if it had been a little more firm I might not have had to spin em, and might have had more controll as well. Yup I,m hyped bout taking the family to FlatNasty this weekend.
but you'll be back by tuesday to get my bumper?? or is that what your gonna arrange

AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
post #35 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
but you'll be back by tuesday to get my bumper?? or is that what your gonna arrange
Yup! I have to be at work Sunday night, I'd better be back.

post #36 of 424 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Updates on the Red Whasp???
post #37 of 424 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan7118 View Post
Updates on the Red Whasp???
Its still sitting in the same spot it has for the last month or more. I havent had time to even look at the thing. I'm unshure it will even start when I go to load it on its temparry mobile storage facility (trailer) this weekend. As soon as the move is done I planto get it out for one last wheeling adventure before i transplant all its goodies over to my new rig...pics after the move.

The red rig isnt getting scraped just modded into something a little lighter and prolly meaner.

I will not be around on the web much till after we are settled in at our new place. So if you need me call. Glen can give ya my number if ya don't already have it.

Michael

post #38 of 424 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you need me call. Glen can give ya my number if ya don't already have it.

Michael
Yep, I've got it. I think I might call just to hear you talk about your Yota projects

Good luck with everything, and hopefully I'll see ya soon!
post #39 of 424 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Its been quite some time since I have announced any changes for this turd. Heres a heads up of whats happening.

For the few months before selling my house I had been worrking on an 86 extra cab that was going to be a replacement of sorts for my red rig. I went over it in my head quite a few times, and decided to just build another rig that would get me through till I can manage what I really wanted. As time went by I got buisy with buying a new home, and building the shop, so I just sort of left things as they were.

Now that I'm settled in the new place I decided to put my shop to use and drug the extracab back out of the weeds. I finally got the bed back from my bodyshop buddy, and put it on. I also decided not to put all the effort and money into doing a sas on it although I already have an axle for it. As it is I have been having problems with it running. It would idle, fine, but would die as soon as I pulled out of the drive. I swapped the webber off of the red truck onto it and all is good, or will be after all the sand is finally filtered from the tank. (don't ask)

Currently i'm lowering the rear via sinking the shackles through the rear of the frame, and possibly the spring hangers will be set into the frame as well. This is all due to me not wanting more than a 33" tire and wanting to keep the ifs. This rig will someday be the one I drive to hotsprings or where ever for a getaway. It gets expensive loading up and towing the red truck every time I want to just get away.

Speaking of the red truck I justifyied disabling it by ordering propane from carry at GOT PROPANE. The kit should be here thurs or friday. I'm looking forward to not having carb issues in those harry situations. I also plan to have a 3rd case installed before the ttora event, but we will see how it goes.

I'll get some pics If I ever rember to pick up some camera batterys.

post #40 of 424 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

WOOT FOR AN UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael, you riding with me in a week and a half?

Had a sweet run this past weekend. Missed your goofy self. Glad to hear you're still kickin' it!!!
post #41 of 424 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan7118 View Post
WOOT FOR AN UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael, you riding with me in a week and a half?

Had a sweet run this past weekend. Missed your goofy self. Glad to hear you're still kickin' it!!!
I'll be there! Hey I got fri the 20th off on vacation. Will you be around that friday? I'm trying to decide when to head down.

post #42 of 424 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

so you driving the white truck or trailering the red rig

AR-TTORA founder/current President, www.ar-ttora.com
22R bored .060 over, LCEngineeing stage II race cam, 3236 weber,
entire drivetrain from www.Marlincrawler.com 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52HD 5 speed + dual transfer case. Driveline E-brake, front suspension and hi-steer from www.allprooffroad.com
post #43 of 424 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'll be there! Hey I got fri the 20th off on vacation. Will you be around that friday? I'm trying to decide when to head down.
Yep. I have to hang out with the parents some on Saturday and Sunday, so Friday would be awesome if we could get an afternoon run in. LMK what you decide, doggie.
post #44 of 424 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
so you driving the white truck or trailering the red rig
I spent all my cash on propane except for enough to come down in the car. I'm riding with Jordan from there. I'll just head back home when I have nothing else to do.

post #45 of 424 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I got to try the setup out last sunday. 1st thing I did was pull up on an incline my old carb would have stalled on. I then took the trans out of gear and let it idle. It is well worth the money, too bad i'm now flat assed broke! I even put the truck on 2 wheels and drove out of it just to test it out. I do need a hand throttle still though, just so I don't kill the motor while lugging down under 500rpms. I was able to turn my idle down, and I gained low end power, to top it off the dead spot in the throttle is gone.

post #46 of 424 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

This is supposed to be a build thread so here are pics of it cut up. I got to staring at my truck and trying to figure out how to setup up my tank mounts to run two 8 gallon tanks. As I was starring all I could see was where I reworked the truck a few times before. Instead of scabbing over what had already been scabbed over I decided to cut a little. Well i must have stumbled or something couse the next thing I know......

I got some 1 1/2 .095 wall tube that fits verry tight into the 1 3/4, I gots to keep the strength ya know. Along with a couple plug welds itl be better than new.
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ldtruck010.jpg

post #47 of 424 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

I have a feeling someone's going 4 link in the rear.

-=Greene County Crevice Crawlers=-
post #48 of 424 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

I smell one-link
post #49 of 424 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I still havent bought anything but I have been leaning towards a onelink. I just can't swing the funds for what I want yet so its just gonna wait. The cost of the grader setup i found was about 220$, and I could buy some sort of jhonny joint for about 40$ each and just build a 4 link. On the plus side the one link would be a stronger setup me thinks.
I'm prolly gonna just rework the tube for now then link it when funds become avalible. I was planning to go tripple cases, but if I one link that would make my link to short. So I'm down to deciding between linking now, or tcase gears now.... I can't decide but I'd prolly benefit more from gears than links, as far as capability goes.

post #50 of 424 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I still havent bought anything but I have been leaning towards a onelink. I just can't swing the funds for what I want yet so its just gonna wait. The cost of the grader setup i found was about 220$, and I could buy some sort of jhonny joint for about 40$ each and just build a 4 link. On the plus side the one link would be a stronger setup me thinks.
I'm prolly gonna just rework the tube for now then link it when funds become avalible. I was planning to go tripple cases, but if I one link that would make my link to short. So I'm down to deciding between linking now, or tcase gears now.... I can't decide but I'd prolly benefit more from gears than links, as far as capability goes.
I'd think gears would really help you. If you want be in retard-slow like Dennis and myself, go with gears. We's da coolest

Have you thought about using a giant heim instead of a grader ball setup? That might save you some money.

Back when I was dreaming of wheeling (yesterday... haha!) as a 12 or 13 year-old, the guys down the street who fabricated in their construction company shop all ran one-links. They went to Superlift all the time. They put plate under the links and made it into a giant skid for their axle. I was envious...

Welp, gotta roll! See ya soon! Say hello to the red rocket for me! WOOT!
post #51 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well becouse I just can't bring myself to put it back with the leafs I decided more cutting was in order. I took out the rocker pannels to do sort of a boat side, and the overall length of my cage may change from what you see as well. Lets just say we'll see, how it goes. I have talked myself into cutting out most of the old cage. It'l be like having a whole new rig.

I think I'm gonna take the frame off up to the tranny crossmember, or just in front of whats left of the stock horsecollar crossmember. I have to make a new 1 3/4 crossmember anyhow to support the link brackets I just ordered from ballistic.
Here is the crosmember, and you can just make out my tranny crosmember in front of it.

Thanks Mike Midd for buying my old springs, and helping chop up the toy. Any volunteers for helping put this pile of parts back together. i'm gonna be pressed for time, as it is and I was really contemplating ditching the firewall, and front clip as well. I doubt that will happen this time around though. Besides I like the looks on peoples faces when they see the welds on my front bumper. The ones I did when I was learning, with a crappy borrowed welder. Things shure have changed since then.

post #52 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member

Woot!!! Looks good, mayne! I'm watchin!
post #53 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Here are a couple pics of the 4runner I'm swapping some built axles under for a friend. I need a tap for the drain plugs, he lost a drain plug on the trail, stopped the hole with a stick, and now its time to fix it and the new low profile plugs won't go in couse the threads are buggered. I got the steering box mount welded to the frame last night. I'm installing a tapped box with plugs for the option of hydro assist in the future. Also notice this is a 85 model so this ones not getting a drop spring hanger. Were keeping it low!

post #54 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

Could you just cut the plug out

If he's doing any hard wheeling, that'll be where he hangs up. I cut my front out and left the rear, and it makes a big difference. I'm sure you already know
post #55 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I don't consider the front diff plug to be as much of an issue as the rear, but he could easily eliminate it. I shaved my rear diff with no plans to shave my front any time soon. The shaved rear drags over rocks easily and the front I can position where I want with the steering wheel. As long as you know when your gonna drag, then positioning the front just dosent seem an issue.

I'm not getting paid to tear down the front axle, but just to swap his old axles to a new rig, so if he wants the diff drain shaved itl be more time and money. Thats prolly not something he wants to put into this rig as he is currently in the process of building a high zoot rig on 47s, plus he still has his jeep on 44s, so this one gets what funds are left. He did buy a allpro long slip travel, for his front driveshaft due to my recomendation. This is gonna be his Frogging, light wheeling rig.

I'll get pics of the monster extra cab on 47s this weekend.

post #56 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 AM

Talking

give me a holler when you need a little help. i can run a grinder a little and eat all your sunflower seeds.
post #57 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'll prolly be at it hot and heavy till August. This things gonna come down to the wire, and I still have the runner to finnish and a jazzy chair carrier to build after that, and who knows what else will come in between. I hope to spend every sat and sun in the shop, and even some week day afternoons. If all goes as planned I'll be able to make a test run or 2 before takover, and my wife wont disown me.

Just give me a shout if you need to occupy some weekend time. I don't know what hrs I'm gonna pull. I usually work late in the evenings , into the night on sat, and noonish to evening on sundays. I'm shure there will be some late night hours put in before all is said and done as well.

I got the rear under the 4runner, the brakes done, and steering just needs someone to hold the other end of the tape measure. All ubolts and spring mounts are tight. I have to build a upper crosmember for the shocks, and either hoops, or get ford towers for the front, then bumpstops and its done. I can prolly have it knocked out in a couple good afternoons, if I have all the bolts and such.

I still have more cutting to do on the red truggy, and I hope to have that done before the link stuff gets here, later this week.

post #58 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

What link stuff you getting? I'm watching : > )
post #59 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm going with a triangulated 4link. 7/8 heims with high misalighnment spacers, and brackets from ballistic. I placed my order a week ago and I still don't have an email for the tracking number. They said they had a few hundred orders in front of me, and that I should give it a few days before they would work my order.

I'm waiting patiently, besides I still have alot of prep to do before i'm even ready for mock up. I also picked up 63" of tube last friday, so I atleast have the materials for reworking the cage. my buddy mikey brought over some DOM , its 1 1/4 ID x 2"OD. There is about 12 ft of that so I'll prolly have to go back and get some more for the upper links. If I do I will prolly just run some 1 1/4"ID X 1 3/4"OD for them. Should be overkill on a toy axled truggy.

I hope to get out and work on it a couple afternoons this week.

post #60 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

I've heard some horror stories from Ballistic I'll send up a few prayers that it arrives before you're ready to shoot some folks

Why did you steer away from a one-link? I'm a fan of the four-link, but you seemed sold on the one-link.

That's some quality tube for links. 3/8" lowers and 1/4" uppers. Sounds like you know what's up.

How much is HREW runnin' up in Paragould? I'm trying to figure out what kinda coin I'd be droppin' on Snoop this summer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode