gittinit - fixinit (AKA The UglyDuckling) - Page 3 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan7118 View Post
I've heard some horror stories from Ballistic I'll send up a few prayers that it arrives before you're ready to shoot some folks

Why did you steer away from a one-link? I'm a fan of the four-link, but you seemed sold on the one-link.

That's some quality tube for links. 3/8" lowers and 1/4" uppers. Sounds like you know what's up.

How much is HREW runnin' up in Paragould? I'm trying to figure out what kinda coin I'd be droppin' on Snoop this summer
They already charged my card, so I'm gonna give em a call and see whats up. If they charged my card to far ahead of shipping my order I'm gonna be pissed. I don't like paying interest on something I don't have.

I'll get some prices posted before long, but they varry depending on who the steel comes from. The company I buy from "the steel yard" buys from different, companys and although their prices are close they always change. On a good note, I opened up an account with them and I'm saving 10% becouse of it, and I can call ahead with what I want and itl be pulled and ready when I get there. Its still a cash acct, so I can't get in over my head though.

I did manage to get some work done on it last night. I cut the frame at the same spot I origonally cut it about 4 or 5 years ago. I also took off alot of the cage, and more is still to come. I'm prolly gonna remove the firewall and front sheet metal after takover, so I may go ahead and remove the windshield now. I need to see what I can do about getting one of them wire rope T handle setups to cut away the glue. This windshield isnt verry old. I had just replaced it before the ttora run last fall, or mabye it was the year before. Any how its in good condition so its going in the Kracker, if I get it out in one pice.

As far as the one link goes it was price, vs strength. I was iffy about running one giant hiem, as my pivot point, and the grader ball was 225 by its self. Add to that the 7/8 heims, spacers, and tube adapters I would need for a panhard bar and the price was so close to a 4 link its crazy. The other reason was the stress on one particular pivot point of a 4link is less than that of the one pivot on the one link. I just want to link this thing once, and I'm afraid I would just want to redo, and 4link it after putting all the effort into the one link. I have been know to change my mind mid way through things before, and it usually winds up causing trouble.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

=Greene County Crevise Crawlers=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I called yesterday to check on my order

Me: I need a tracking number for my order

Balistic: OK let me see what I can do. Name?

Me: Michael Faber

Balistic: That order hasnt shipped yet. Were waiting on rod ends.

Me: So why have you alredy charged my card?

Ballistic: Its just like if you were to order over the internet. You card gets billed as soons as you place your order.

Me: I asked when I ordered if yall had everything in stock, and was told yes

Ballistic: We did but we take the orders in the order we recive them.

Me: I was told there were quite a few orders ahead of me.

Ballistic: Your about half way down the list.

Me: Can I get what yall have waiting for me sent now without it costing more. I want to start mocking things up.

Ballistic: We can do that.

I'm shure some people get all bent out of shape when things don't go right., espically when making a big purchase. Other than a brief instant where the guy on the other end of the line started getting defensive, I don't see why there have been issues with Ballistic.

My buddy Mikey waited about 6 weeks to get his truss from BTF, and they didn't even inform him it was out of stock when he ordered. For him that wasnt a big issue. He knew what he wanted, and got it, he just had to wait for it. Heck the fastest I ever recieved anything was from Trail Gear and people badmouth their service as well. I guess I have just been blessed with good buying experiances. I'll wait for what I want if thats what it takes. Worst case scenario I can't make it to the ttora event in August. I do hate the fact that I'm paying for something I don't have though.

Whats left of a 85 Toyota, 22r Slightly Modified, Got propane, lots of tube n stuff.

post #63 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

I sure hope you're at Takeover. Otherwise, this'll be the first year I make it with my junk and you're not there to show me up. Ghey...

I highly doubt you could break that joint. Did you read the specs on it? Regardless, you're right about just 4-linking now and getting it done with. I will say that Daryl's one-link works magic and I would doubt a 4-link would be an improvement over his setup. Most of the stuff on his 40 is self-described as "redneck". From the propane setup to the "poo pipe" rollcage, he built it inexpensively. BUT, he built it right. All in design. I think the one-link would've held up.

I've read little on Trail-Gear's customer service being poor. They're desperate to prove themselves, so they know their customer service has to be top notch. They're certainly not selling based on product quality Uh oh... I'm about to start a giant debate... haha!

So, you have some pics, Michael? I'm curious to see where you're headed with this.

Oh, and why not just make this into a Formula Toy or have a tube-based body like that?

post #64 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Didn't think about the debate!

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” ~John Wayne

Last edited by ArkieTaco; 05-15-2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: :) respect for Mikey!
post #65 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
I sure hope you're at Takeover. Otherwise, this'll be the first year I make it with my junk and you're not there to show me up. Ghey...

I highly doubt you could break that joint. Did you read the specs on it? Regardless, you're right about just 4-linking now and getting it done with. I will say that Daryl's one-link works magic and I would doubt a 4-link would be an improvement over his setup. Most of the stuff on his 40 is self-described as "redneck". From the propane setup to the "poo pipe" rollcage, he built it inexpensively. BUT, he built it right. All in design. I think the one-link would've held up.

I've read little on Trail-Gear's customer service being poor. They're desperate to prove themselves, so they know their customer service has to be top notch. They're certainly not selling based on product quality Uh oh... I'm about to start a giant debate... haha!

So, you have some pics, Michael? I'm curious to see where you're headed with this.

Oh, and why not just make this into a Formula Toy or have a tube-based body like that?
Plese don't start a anti trail gear debate in my thread. I will try to get some pics this weekend. I considered doing some sort of toy frame based buggy like a formula toy, but I'd rather build my own, and I want to do it in stages so I don't get burnt out, or stretch 4 months worth of work into well ovver a year. You could relate right Jordan? I am not yet ready to tackle the pedals and steering mounts, firewall, and all that. It will come in time, just not right now.

post #66 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I don't like the word f-toy...but this is kind of the same thing I'm wondering. As hard as you are on your cage, and some of the body panels you've beat to shat even with that cage on there, you need to go full tube. I know funds will be an issue and I figure that'll be what holds you back for a while. I know the last time I checked into a 4 link it was gonna run around 800 for parts only, and thats a big chunk of change. Anyway I'd like to see you keep the wheelbase you have now, and run the truggy design rear, sort of like Mikey just a wee bit longer, that way you could still keep the rear bench for the kids, dog, etc..

-=Greene County Crevice Crawlers=-
post #67 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddemon_06 View Post
I don't like the word f-toy...but this is kind of the same thing I'm wondering. As hard as you are on your cage, and some of the body panels you've beat to shat even with that cage on there, you need to go full tube. I know funds will be an issue and I figure that'll be what holds you back for a while. I know the last time I checked into a 4 link it was gonna run around 800 for parts only, and thats a big chunk of change. Anyway I'd like to see you keep the wheelbase you have now, and run the truggy design rear, sort of like Mikey just a wee bit longer, that way you could still keep the rear bench for the kids, dog, etc..
Thats kinda what I have in mind, and the reason I cut out so much. I wanted to move the rear seat further forward, but that was an issue with one of the main crossbars in the old origonal part of the cage. I cut all that out and now have a little better platform to build off of. This also means that now there is more to build. The rear seat was in the way of the suspension of choice, if money dosent cause me to make a different choice.

Last edited by gittinit; 05-15-2009 at 08:47 PM.
post #68 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well last weekend we expanded the scrap pile a little.

Theres 2 sets of sliders in there, both with kickouts. I'd be willing to sell a set for cheap. I'm gonna clean one set up to put on the Kracker eventually.

My beverage of choice on a hot day. Its kinda girly I know but I cant stand to drink beer.

I almost have lances runner done. I love the stance this rig has. Its nice and low. I still have to get upper shock mounts, and bumpstops in the front. He wants a steering stabilizer on this thing too, then its done.

And here is what the little red rig looks like. I spent about 6 hrs on it yesterday and a couple today grinding the frame where I cut off the old spring hangers and crossmember, as well as some tube that was once attached to the frame. I still need to cut the a pillar and remove the tube from the top of the windshield back.

One of my friends who runs a local Glass shop is gonna stop by monday and hep me try to remove the windshield in one pice. He is a wheeler as well, he wheels a red jeep on 35s. Its good to know people. As a matter of fact one friend of mine, a tech at the local GM dealer, stopped by today to get his coilover hoops bent. One of these days I'll need a favor from him I'm shure.

post #69 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 10:58 PM

Cool

dang man i know you wanted to lighten it up ,but thats a little too light
post #70 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member

Dibs on a set of those sliders. Let me know what ya want. We'll work off of those when I come see ya.

Looks good, mayne!
post #71 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midd View Post
dang man i know you wanted to lighten it up ,but thats a little too light
I'm trying to get it down to a simple platform to build from. I started cutting, and just cant stop. I'm gonna be done after this weekend though. I can't wait to see how much the scrap I cut off weighs. You coming up to help build tomarrow? If so bring a grinder.

post #72 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Dibs on a set of those sliders. Let me know what ya want. We'll work off of those when I come see ya.

Looks good, mayne!
Cool! Their yours.

post #73 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I think I want to strap a propane tank to the passenger seat, and drive it around in 4wd. I'll take one of these stock rears and lil tires and tack weld it to the frame then head down the road.

I also got my brackets in from Ballistic today. Man these things are beef!

I'm considering selling my swampers and beadlocks off my toy. I'm prolly looking at trying to get $800 for them as a set. I'm not to shure about selling them yet though couse I'm not quite ready to buy new tires so i will wait if I have to. Here are some pics, tell your friends and lets see if they are interested.

The sidewalls, and tread is blue becouse of the minerals at the pits where we wheel.

post #74 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Keep it comin', Michael! Looks good!

What brackets did ya order from Ballistic?

I'll keep ya in mind if someone wants some tires and wheels.
post #75 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 PM

Are those 38s? Id like em but i need gears first. Id also like themz sliderz but jordans got dibs.... dang i was 9 hours too late.

"Toyomoto breaker"
post #76 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

They're 36s
post #77 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
They're 36s
yup! They are 36x12.5 tsl bias on 15x8 wagon wheels with weld on beadlocks.

post #78 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmch View Post
Are those 38s? Id like em but i need gears first. Id also like themz sliderz but jordans got dibs.... dang i was 9 hours too late.
Buy the tires/wheels and I'll throw in a set of them sliderz for free!

post #79 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Here are the brackets I'm using per Jordans request.
Axle:
upper>
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...et_p_1182.html
lower>
I have to trim one side of these for the angle I need. Its no biggie, or atleast it wont be if I can manage to get up early enough to go to the getting place and get some tips for the plasma cutter.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...nt_p_1452.html

Frame:
uppers>
One of these for each side. I prolly should have gotten the adjustable position ones.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...41_p_1174.html
Lowers>
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...em_p_1165.html

I'm considering buying there airshocks with the threaded body as well. The biggest issue with doing that is I'm not to shure about dropping so much coing on something thats not common. Names like racerunner, King, Fox, everyone has seen around, and are comon, therefore parts and tuning info would shurely be more common. Another thing is I'm still on the fence about Ballistics customer service. Are they gonna be able to BS and explain if I have some stupid newb questions? I like the idea of being able to add a coil to my airshocks to make them more tunable, but I'm really leaning more towards Fox 2" airshocks.

Do any of yall know anything about airshocks/coilovers or have any 1st hand knowledge to share?

post #80 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info!

I like the idea of adding coils later, but I would have the same concerns. Have you searched Pirate to see what peeps are saying?
post #81 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gittinit View Post
Buy the tires/wheels and I'll throw in a set of them sliderz for free!
Man, that's a good deal!

DIY Beadlocks - at least $300 for rims and rings, plus welding
Tires - $225 - 250 new x 4
Sliders - One would pay around $200 for custom sliders that Michael makes

I'd say that's a good deal, my man!
post #82 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

I like the idea of adding coils later, but I would have the same concerns. Have you searched Pirate to see what peeps are saying?
I generally try to stay off of pitrate unless I'm lookiong for something particular. Most of the info that runs through there overflows to other places where people don't have sand in their vaginas. I do like the airshock tuning writeup and have been reading it about once a day to keep the info fresh in my mind. I've been doing the same with the petersons 4link how to from a few years back.

I ordered these just now. I decided to go big. I was gonna order the 16, or 14 inch travel shocks. I don't want to limit my travel any and I'm building around my suspension, so why not go longer. I also orders upper shock brackets and a air shock tune kit to go with it all.

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...ock-p-102.html

post #83 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
yup! They are 36x12.5 tsl bias on 15x8 wagon wheels with weld on beadlocks.
I wish I had those wheels.. I feel silly riding on a 11" wide wheel (counting beadlock) with a 12.50 tire.
post #84 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I decided to go big.
So how big? The website isn't specific.
post #85 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I wish I had those wheels.. I feel silly riding on a 11" wide wheel (counting beadlock) with a 12.50 tire.
I'd take yours in on trade if the backspacing is right, then youll only have to get rid of a set of tires.

I went with the 18" fox airshocks. I'm gonna have fun trying to tune these bad boys. I hope I don't regret going with the 18" over the shorter versions. I highly doubt I'll ever use all the travel they offer, but I'd guess I'm better off having a shock with unsued travel than one that limits my travel.

post #86 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I finally the cutting all but done on the tube and frame. I may tweak the "new" tube that goes over the fender, but we'll see.

I plated the insides of the frame. Notice the seam the rear most plate was part of my old inboard chevy spring mount. I plated all the way up to the trans crossmember. I still need to go back and grind it smooth where I plug welded to the origional frame, and generally just clean up a little.

I've got more cleanup to do on the axle to. The plasma tip was going bad and I gouged the axle a little. Those heavy ass spring perches welded in and out were a good idea at the time but oh my what a pain to remove. You can also see the start of the truss we cut out last weekend. I need to take out some small pie cuts and fold the sides down. then I need to get it sitting level and square. I also noticed my housing may be bent some. I put my angle finder on the pass side and it shows 1, or 2 degrees down towards the 3rd member, put it on the driver side.....same thing 1 or 2degrees down hill towards the 3rd. I'm gonna pull this one off as I always do and just run it till it blows.

post #87 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

It's gonna be a pain in the arse to swap axles later should your axle really be bent and need replacing. Why not swap it over now? Lower brackets, upper truss and brackets, air shock tabs... Do ya have another IFS axle to go in there? I'd be tempted to throw a T100 axle in there. As always, just my two cents.

Keep the pics and the progress rollin', Michael!
post #88 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
It's gonna be a pain in the arse to swap axles later should your axle really be bent and need replacing. Why not swap it over now? Lower brackets, upper truss and brackets, air shock tabs... Do ya have another IFS axle to go in there? I'd be tempted to throw a T100 axle in there. As always, just my two cents.

Keep the pics and the progress rollin', Michael!
I have one, and unless I just recently bent my axle I doubt its bad enough to require needing replacing. I had the shafts and 3rd out when I shaved it and added the then taller spring perches., everything went back together just fine then. Go out and put an angle finder on a t100 axle or even your current rear axle. I'd bet it isnt perfect either, not by far. Oh and yes I have a couple ifs rears I could use, even one sitting out waiting to be used, but I like this one, its been good to me.

post #89 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I got an email returned from Ballistic. The 2nd half of my order shipped today. I'll prolly wind up getting the air shocks and rod ennds the same day. I guess next week will be measuring and mockup time.

This gives me time to finnish up the 4runner, and mabye Glen's mom's scooter hauler.

post #90 of 424 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome work buddy... looks like everyones got thier crap in pieces... we all have 2 weeks to get it together man.

Cory
AR-TTORA NWAR SWMO NEOK Sub-Chapter TEAM Leader
OZARK MOUNTAIN CRUISERS

03 Chevy 3500 Duramax - Tow Rig
No wheelin rig at the moment, but do have a:
'11 Polaris RZR EPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode