TTORA Forum banner

Newb from Denver

5K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  1stGenTeege 
#1 ·
So I have owned my 1983 Toyota Pickup for about five years now, and have only recently started modifying it. I put a two inch lift on the front, bought some 31X10.5X15" Goodyear Duratracs, installed Recaro bucket seats out of a 1992 VW G.T.I., custom door panels, and a home made "flatbed". I am interested to hear some opinions about what I should do for my rear suspension? BTW it is a DD. Thanks.This is an older picture before all the "mods".

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome. Nice truck! I have an '80.

I tried out some Tacoma leaf springs to lift the rear of mine. The work pretty good offroad. With the V6 I just put in, I'm getting too much axle wrap... but I have the overload spring removed. The main reason I got them is because you can get stock Tacoma leafs really cheap from people that lifted their trucks. It seems like just about everybody I know with a lifted Tacoma has a set of stock springs in their garage. It requires welding though because the springs are longer.

Another popular option is the "Chevy 63s". These also require welding, and can be found for cheap. There are tons and tons of writeups on the internet on these springs.

In addition there are the usual vendors. Marlin Crawler, All Pro, Trail Gear, etc. I believe that pretty much all of those require moving the spring hangers too. The stock springs on these trucks are just too short to get much travel I guess. If you can afford these, they would be the way to go.

If you want a purely bolt-on option, I think the more 4 Wheel Parts kind of vendors have some. Companies like Superlift, Skyjacker, etc. I haven't heard entirely positive things about those springs... but I'm sure they would work.

#4 ·
Hooray, another first gen!
Check out F150 springs; they're not as long as Chevy springs but from what I've seen they still flex pretty well. Maybe move the shocks to the / \ position too? You got access to a welder/grinder/etc? I might know a guy... :rolleyes:

>>Dan

#5 ·
I'm glad you guys like the truck. I do have access to a welder, grinder, chop saw, and whatever else. I am trying to upload some newer photos of the flatbed to show off my welding skills, no success. I have thought about the chevy springs and have read both positive and negative things about that swap. I am looking for something that will help with the ride and also be good for the trail. Thanks for the input and compliments.

#9 ·
About a foot; the F150s are 54" (I think?) and the Chevies are 63". Fords may be wider; I'm not 100% sure. Check the uber-Toyota Bible on pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775780

If you get Chevies, you can avoid some stress by pulling the passenger side from 2 trucks; the fuel tank is in the way on the driver's side. Ask me how I know... :mad:

>>Dan

#12 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to start a new thread so I can get out of this new members area. Here are a few updated pics! Thanks for all the welcomes and hope to be meeting a lot of you at some of these meet and greets.
The beginning of the flat bed.
Sorry just sh!tty phone pics.

#16 ·
Welcome. In a couple of months I will have a stock set of springs off of my 2007 with an AAL you can try.

#18 ·
Yes that was me. I am so glad I didn't attempt that trail. No sliders and Spring creek =:mad:. Those conditions that day were insane aswell. Washed out bridges and lots of rain. Glad you guys told me not to run my truck on that trail. It was fun watching though.

#19 ·
Welcome! Clean truck! I wanna see the MK2 recaros in there. What brackets did you use? I just Put Old school Recaro's in with Wedge brackets and hate them. They sit way too high.

I like the flat bed! Interior pics?

#21 ·
I like the seats. I hate the brackets..Let me hit up Wedge and see if i can get some lower ones or make a set. You have stock seats in the runer still? 4crawler has a seat lift kit i think.

#22 ·
I'll try to post up some pics later of the seats. I made some brackets and initially they did sit way to high. I thought my head was going to pop out the sun roof. So I had to custom cut them so they sit better.

#24 ·
It's possible. I was doing the Vw thing for like 10 years. I have a set of the blue recaros if you ever wanna trade out for the gray lol

#25 ·
Nice! I had a set of Recaro's from a BMW 3 series in my first car. An 84 VW GTI. They had the leg extensions on the front of them. Loved those seats.

#26 ·
yeah i got a set for the truck again. My GTI has gray interior but after it was a race car we had to piece an interior together so now its all gray with helious blue recaro fronts. Need gray or im going to need to wrap it all before i drive it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.