TTORA Forum banner

Homemade Sliders

6K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  hrtbrk1 
#1 ·
I finally got these damn things made and put on. Lot more work goes into these things than I anticipated. I had started a thread titled "Trail Armor" in the Early Tacoma Tech page for some ideas on armor. After seeing what you folks posted and researched pricing, I decided to make my own. First fab project ever. Nonetheless...here they are.

Designed my own but modeled them after the Shrockworks sliders. Gave local metal shop my drawings and had them cut & bend the pieces. Thanks TD. Here is what they gave me.

Had to grind two brackets...they were a tad too long. That's my cousin with the grinder...that grinder is a beast!

Two of the six brackets that mounted to frame.

My uncle welding the brackets to square rail.

That's me under truck making sure things are juuust sooo.

My cousin cuttin angle on the round tube so that it looks bad ass!!!

My uncle tackin in supports between square and round tubing.

...and another tack.

One all tacked up.

Finally painted them yesterday. Gettin ready for install.

And bam!! all done and installed. They are bolt ons so I had to drill a few holes in frame. Kinda a pain in the ass but not too bad. Oh...put some grip tape on em too. They looked like they might be slippy.

Heading to Rausch Creek next weekend...so just in time. :welder:

See less See more
#7 ·
Great looking sliders!:D

#16 ·
Yikes!!!! Busted. :D

I was [ ] this close to pulling the trigger and buying shrockwoks sliders...but I figured I could save a buck. But after it was all said and done, with hardware, new drill bits, paint, flap discs, steel, and the time spent...I should have just bought them. yours would have been powdercoated...mine aren't.

But it was fun and I learned some things.

#15 ·
:rofl: ha.... that's good stuff there.

#18 ·
$240 for the steel. But they also welded the brackets for me.
$10 or so for hardware
$50 or so for paint
$20 for new drill bit
$17 for flap discs
$18.75 for case of beer
...and lots of time.

#20 ·
They came out looking great Dudeman :) It's pretty hard to save money building one off stuff like this. The only two reasons to do it, are because you like the work, or you want something nobody else builds. That is usually my case. I never build anything I can buy off the shelf because it never pays :rolleyes:

Teryx

#23 ·
looks good man! 440coast built mine and all i had to do was build the legs and attach to the frame and just that took me almost a day! but at any rate..good lookin sliders. :kewl:

#24 ·
how many bolts do you have holding the sliders to the frame? have you tested it yet? might want to think about b.olting it to the frame in a few spots. Looks really good tho nice job.:)

#25 ·
Thanks hrtbrk1....by the way, are you a tom petty fan?

85yotatoy..I got six bolts on each slider. Two bolts per bracket. One going horizontal through frame and one going up through vertically on each bracket. Have not tested them yet, but will be this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.