Finally have something decent to update with..
More recently its just been maintenance and more maintenance. Chasing my tail with a power steering leak etc..
Well this past weekend I installed a twin stick onto my transfer case. I wanted to do this so I could "unlock" the front end while on the trail and save some stress and the hassle of steering on granite slabs.
I got the stick from Daves off road performance out of norcal.
It looks great, exactly how it does in the picture.
I used this write up to help with the install. Followed it word for word and it was great.
My friend and fellow wheeler John (Rivethead242) was nice enough to offer his garage for the install and MikeyBB offered his hand for help as well.
First we had an issue with the stake nut on the transfercase.
After we finally got it off, we continued with the install.
Dealing with the shift keys:
Everything was going good, we were about to put the transfer case back together (we were hand tightening the 12 bolts) when... **CRACK**...
John, Mike, and myself were all confused as to what the sound was. We went to test the shifting and neither shift rail would budge. When mike pulled the transfercase back apart he saw this on the back cover..
Stress cracks.. The gears weren't meshed and when we were cinching up the bolts it was actually bending the back cover until it gave. Our problem was not following Dick's instructions of "you can give the input shaft a little back and forth twisting motion to get things to take a seat."
Finally Monday I got a new transfer case from a junk yard with unknown miles and we had the case modified for twin sticks and assembled by 10PM.
By that point, we noticed that the shift rails would move fine without the shifter on top but the H/N/L wouldn't move with the shifter on.
Problem was the "bump" on the shift rail. We fixed it by grinding the shift nub.
The new case, fully assembled with the sticks mocked up.
All back together
All in all this was NOT a hard install and it can be done with one person.
Just be prepared for the stake nut to give you complete hell.
Oh and, I'm not sure why dick says you need a 32MM socket, but a 30 MM worked just fine.
Edit: there was some sort of error with photos that has been fixed. Sorry.
Edit: more issues with photos. If anyone sees an issue like that (out of place photos), please pm me so I can fix it ASAP.