Good choice for gas cans - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Good choice for gas cans

Hi,

I have used the metal gas cans in the past. I don't have an aftermarket bumper with gas can storage right now but if I got one would also like to get cans that are the correct size for most bumper carriers.

So I think the Scepters are the way to go.

Everyone says to ditch the EPA spouts, and get the Scepter spout kits and the Scepter closed caps.

Are the add on vents a good idea? If they don't make a big difference I would rather not drill the cans.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:20 PM

I had my EMPTY old style nozzle 5 gallon plastic walmart can stolen from the back of my truck! I couldn't figure why until I went to get a replacement and spent the next 6 hours researching ways around the EPA spouts.
I have two Scepter 20L MFCs arriving next week! I also went ahead and bought the aluminum flange for the caps and new gaskets, and the cap wrench, made by some guy in Florida so I should be good to go. A basic cable lock will have to suffice, not risking losing these...

In my research I decided to just build a spout using PVC and flex tubing as the threads are standard pipe. It's cheap and functions all the same. It sounds like you have old style screw cap jerry cans, the threads from what I hear are the same as the Scepter internal threads so the PVC option may work. Look at the design of the Scepter MFC internal vent, if you build a spout for your metal can you might be able to add a vent hose to the PVC via a brass barb and avoid drilling your cans at all. For the $10 in parts it's worth a try.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 04:43 PM

JEGS sells Metal jerry cans without safety BS.

LINK

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkpunx4x4 View Post
JEGS sells Metal jerry cans without safety BS.

LINK
Not legal for sale in the US (federal EPA law). They'll probably let you get through checkout and then they cancel your order. I received two new Scepter MFCs today, they'd had diesel in them but still have the manufacturer inspection stickers and they look new. Also got new viton gaskets and the aluminum flanges just in case as one is a gift for pops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in