New Bumper From A New Forum Vendor - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

New Bumper From A New Forum Vendor

Hey everyone, This is Expedition One and we have officially finished our first run of Later model tacoma bumpers for the 2005-2011 model Tacoma's. We wanted to post up some pictures and introduce ourselves, and give you an idea of some of our plans and promotional offers we're working on. Attached are some pictures of what we call the Kodiak bar set up. you can also get the bumper with out hoops or with just a center hoop. The center hoop version would look similar to what we offer on the FJ and the Tundra... We're also working on a rear bumper right now. It will be available shortly I'll post up some pictures of it soon... We're always open for design feedback and ready to answer any questions so let us know if there's anything your wondering about or what you like or dislike....

We're offing a special discount right now (hopefully for around 5 or 6 people) of 30% off... What we're asking in return is for pictures and installation feedback as well as photo's, of the installation and some beauty shots. So far we've installed about 3 of these bumpers and its gone well, but with past experience we've learned that vehicles can vary, as well as people (no disrespect), so we wanted to make sure we've got a good product that is user friendly and works and installs how it should.... If anyone may have interest in doing so let me know and we'll get you pricing and what ever else you may need. We'll probably give the same offer for the rear bumper also....

Thanks everyone, and I'll hopefully be posting up pictures of our prototype rear shortly...

James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tacokdk5.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	27817   Click image for larger version

Name:	tacokdk2.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	27818   Click image for larger version

Name:	tacokdk6.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	27819  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM

Nice bumper, I like the design of the bigger loops around the grill and headlights. Also your bumper flows better through the surface contours with the rounded edges..good job!

2003 Tacoma D-cab R.I.P.

2011 Tacoma D-cab SR5 V6 4X4

Mods:
-URD MK II 3" Cat-Back Exhaust
-Camburg 2.5 Coil-overs (front)
-Bilstein 5100's (rear)
-Alcan 8-stack Leaf Springs
-Demello Rock Sliders
-Defiant Light Bar
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:00 AM

I saw them, I like the look as well, with the loops and without. Waiting to see the 2012 tacoma version.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

Attached are some images of the Tacoma Rear prototype. It mounts to the OEM receiver hitch...

the hub sitting on the right does elude to the future duel swing out carrier that will be an option to purchase. It will be similar to the one we made for our tundra, however the lock system will not be electronic. If you haven't seen it I'll try and find a picture of it....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tacorear1.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	27826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacorear2.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	27827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacorear3.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	27828   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tacorear4.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	27829  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

Here is a picture of our rear carrier system I found on the net...

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 PM

I'm jelly....I have a 1st Gen......

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 AM

do you guys make the bed rack?

2007 DC/SB/4WD/Auto/TRD Off Road - Donahoe CO's, rear shocks and UCA - OME Springs - Demello Sliders - Tom Woods front/rear - 16x8 Mojave Rims - Locker Mod - Locker Guard - 35" MT MTZ - ARB Bumper - Warn 8000 w/synthetic line - All-Pro Front Skid/Transmission Skid/Rear Armor - 4.56 Nitro Gears - ARB front locker - FJ Twin Stick T-case - Marlin 4.7 crawl box - ATO High Clearance BUmper
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:36 AM

Not bad looking, How are you guys addressing the weak factory bumper mount tabs? Are you incorporating a strap that attaches to the frame? Its a common issue with 2nd gen's and recovery using a winch.

How about weight?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltrd View Post

Not bad looking, How are you guys addressing the weak factory bumper mount tabs? Are you incorporating a strap that attaches to the frame? Its a common issue with 2nd gen's and recovery using a winch.

How about weight?

We currently have a reinforcement piece that mounts inside the frame. Attached is a picture.... We may add another if needed, but its pretty much across the board for toyota when it comes to week frame mounts on the front. FJ, Tundra... The 2nd Gen Tacoma's seam to be the worst. Because of it right now we recommend a max winch size of 10K lbs

Weight of a base model front bumper with no hoops is about 125 lbs. With center and side loops weight would be about 150 lbs....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TACOframeRE.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	27837  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expedition One View Post
We currently have a reinforcement piece that mounts inside the frame. Attached is a picture.... We may add another if needed, but its pretty much across the board for toyota when it comes to week frame mounts on the front. FJ, Tundra... The 2nd Gen Tacoma's seam to be the worst. Because of it right now we recommend a max winch size of 10K lbs

Weight of a base model front bumper with no hoops is about 125 lbs. With center and side loops weight would be about 150 lbs....
that bracket you guys have plus a strap like this that goes back to the boxed section and gets through bolted with a 6" washer would be the best on the market....

On another note I showed some friends your rear bumper. The main constructive feedback was the use of PIA's in the bumper (they suck) and the need to relocate the trailer harness so it doesn't get ripped off.

I have a similar strap on my bumper less the gussets and some people are still bending them.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
that bracket you guys have plus a strap like this that goes back to the boxed section and gets through bolted with a 6" washer would be the best on the market....

On another note I showed some friends your rear bumper. The main constructive feedback was the use of PIA's in the bumper (they suck) and the need to relocate the trailer harness so it doesn't get ripped off.

I have a similar strap on my bumper less the gussets and some people are still bending them.
Does that mean tacoma people aren't fans of PIAA's or is it more they don't like the option of a 4" round reverse light mounted in that way?

You don't have to use PIAA's... We Actually offer Hella optilux lights as an option (mostly because they are inexpensive and get the job done) but you can use most 4" round lights...

We've been discussing the trailer plug. We are going to see if we have room to fit it up by the license plate and hopefully still have room for all the other options i.e. rear winch mount...

Does that reinforcement go along the outside or under the frame?
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Any pics of it installed? I am confused as to how that mounts.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

The bracket has changed some from this picture. We've added some gusseting...

Also in these pictures the bracket is loose, just FYI....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TACOframeRE3.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	27838   Click image for larger version

Name:	TACOframeRE2.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	27839  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The bracket has changed some from this picture. We've added some gusseting...

Also in these pictures the bracket is loose, just FYI....
So then the bumper will bolt to the bracket and not the stock mount?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgrnr View Post
So then the bumper will bolt to the bracket and not the stock mount?
It actually mounts to both. The stock location does more to locate the bumper were as the reinforcement bracket gives the strength for recovery....

The bumper has 3 key structural components. 1 is the reinforcement piece's, Next is the internal structure of the bumper, and finally, the skin w/ integrated winch mount and recovery points. There's also a filler plate at the bottom of the bumper but its more to protect the radiator and for finish...
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Does that mean tacoma people aren't fans of PIAA's or is it more they don't like the option of a 4" round reverse light mounted in that way?

You don't have to use PIAA's... We Actually offer Hella optilux lights as an option (mostly because they are inexpensive and get the job done) but you can use most 4" round lights...

We've been discussing the trailer plug. We are going to see if we have room to fit it up by the license plate and hopefully still have room for all the other options i.e. rear winch mount...

Does that reinforcement go along the outside or under the frame?

I'm just not a fan of PIA. IMO they are overpriced, under engineered POS lights. The lenses crack in winter time if they even touch cold water. They leak like a screen thus always blowing out bulbs. I don't know any of my local buddys that hasn't had issues with them. I did a review of them on another forum here http://toyotaoff-road.com/threads/94...ll=1#post92273 (post # 79) I took pics of their issues.

Here is a teaser

For the rear I'm actually running cheapo 4" round tractor trailer LED's. They are sealed, cheap, provide plenty of light, and less power draw so they can be spliced into the existing reverse lights without issue.

The strap goes along the outside - this strap doesn't have the gussets like the other one I showed - by a different company. The other side of the frame has a 3/16" thick 6" diameter washer sandwiching the boxed section of frame.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
I'm just not a fan of PIA. IMO they are overpriced, under engineered POS lights. The lenses crack in winter time if they even touch cold water. They leak like a screen thus always blowing out bulbs. I don't know any of my local buddys that hasn't had issues with them. I did a review of them on another forum here http://toyotaoff-road.com/threads/94...ll=1#post92273 (post # 79) I took pics of their issues.

Here is a teaser

For the rear I'm actually running cheapo 4" round tractor trailer LED's. They are sealed, cheap, provide plenty of light, and less power draw so they can be spliced into the existing reverse lights without issue.

The strap goes along the outside - this strap doesn't have the gussets like the other one I showed - by a different company. The other side of the frame has a 3/16" thick 6" diameter washer sandwiching the boxed section of frame.
Thats kind of how I thought it mounted. Thanks for sharing.... Definitely a good way of doing it considering the way the frame is...
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:29 PM

nice bumper. one question do the ends of the hoop go inside the bumper or only welded on the the ends? great design when they do.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

It just welds on the ends, but for this bumper there's really no necessity of it going inside. The shape of the bumper, in addition to the thickness of the material, and the diameter of the tubing, make it plenty strong when it comes to things like animal strikes and such...
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 07:18 AM

im interested in a front bumper and would do pics and installation write up etc.....can you pm me a price and shipping to 14226?
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Any side pictures of the front bumper showing approach angle? It looks like it sticks out kind of far..

The rear bumper looks curved up on the outside to maximize clearance, but with it mounted to the factory rear hitch.. its not really any better than the stock bumper when it comes to departure angle.

ARB ~ Bilstien ~ Doug Thorley ~ AllPro ~ Desert Fab ~ Hankook ~ PowerMaster ~ Stubbs ~ Tom Woods ~ Total Chaos ~ TRD Trail Team ~ Bovads ~ Wheelers ~ Nitro Gear
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 10:50 AM

Can I get more info on the rear bumper ?

2006 DCSB, old man heavies with dakars out back, pro comp alloys 16 inchers 4.5 bs. 285s, some bedliner here and there, BHM, Blacked tailight housing mod, (SOLD)

85 4runner, 5.29s, 14in bob, locked, and (SOLD)

92 std cab: Sas'd elocked dual cased and a 3 slow . 37x12.50 pitbull rockers , dirty 30s and elocked

2014 tundra crewmax . Nothing done to it probably will do something to it
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 01:38 PM

Nice looking bumpers. Front reminds me of an ARB and a low profile bumper blended. Looks good for sure.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member

The angles on the front bumper look awesome. Huge clearance gains.

That rear bumper just looks absolutely badass.

2005 Access Cab Prerunner TRD Off Road
265/75 BFG A/T, Magnaflow 18", K&N Intake Filter, other stuff.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnecon2001 View Post
Any side pictures of the front bumper showing approach angle? It looks like it sticks out kind of far..

The rear bumper looks curved up on the outside to maximize clearance, but with it mounted to the factory rear hitch.. its not really any better than the stock bumper when it comes to departure angle.
This is the best side view I have. I'll see if I can get a better one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TACOside.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	27863  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
TTORA GOLD Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVES4CRAWLIN View Post
Can I get more info on the rear bumper ?
Basic breakdown is that its made from 3/16" steel.

It has light ports for 4 inch round lights for reverse.

Corners are reinforced for impact resistance.

It will have a (single or duel) custom tire carrier/ utility carrier option available in the future.

Base price is: $989 bare
W/ powder coat: $1079.99

The Offer we're giving in the post will put the price at $788.39 with powder coat for assistance with pictures and install feedback....

We have about 6 or 7 available for this discount...

Eventually (hopefully buy August) we'll have them available with tire carriers.

Each carrier we estimate will cost between $450-500 (but that's just a preliminary guess. we're estimating high rather than low)

If you have any specific questions let me know... We'll add information to the thread as things develop...
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:43 PM

Nice, I love how it sticks out some, best part about my ARB in my mind. I love standing, sitting, or putting crap on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in