So Cal - Closure of Coyote Canyon Road Suit - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Browns Fan on Dirt!

So Cal - Closure of Coyote Canyon Road Suit

EcoLogic Partners, Inc. Land, Conservation, and Public Access
PRESS RELEASE

November 15, 2005

EcoLogic Partners, Inc. Files Suit Against State Parks Over Closure of Coyote Canyon Road

On Wednesday, November 16, 2005, EcoLogic Partners, Inc., a non-profit corporation that involves itself in controversial land use matters in the western United States, filed suit in San Diego County Superior Court against the California Department of Parks and Recreation ("State Parks"), alleging that State Parks illegally closed a 3.1-mile segment of Coyote Canyon to motorized vehicles, and that the closure constitutes a continuing public nuisance that must be abated.

The complaint, which also lists two individuals, Jim Arbogast and Wayne Todd, as plaintiffs, indicates that Coyote Canyon was first used as a road in 1775, when Captain Juan Bautista de Anza led an expedition through the canyon on his way from Sonora, Mexico to San Francisco, California (Norte Mexico). In fact, Coyote Canyon is part of the federally-designated Juan Bautista de Anza historic trail. It also happens to lie within the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.

Public use of Coyote Canyon Road has been near-constant since de Anza’s original journey. During the 19th and 20th centuries the road was used by pioneers and homesteaders, miners, farmers, ranchers, tourists, and desert residents traveling between Borrego Springs in the south to towns such as Anza in the north. The road was also popular with 4-Wheel drive vehicle enthusiasts. According to the complaint, such public use was sufficient to establish Coyote Canyon as a public road.

Vehicle use of the road, however, came to a halt in 1995, when State Parks adopted a new Public Use Plan for Coyote Canyon which called for the closure of the 3.1-mile middle section to protect natural resources. Since that time, both the north and south entrances to the middle section have been gated and fenced.

According to the complaint, however, these obstructions violate California Civil Code section 3479, which forbids anyone from blocking a public road. The complaint acknowledges that some public agencies – namely Caltrans, counties, and cities – have the authority to close public roads, but that State Parks is not among them. Moreover, even those agencies that hold the power to close roads may do so only in limited circumstances, such as when the road must be repaired or no longer serves the public. No agency has the right to close a public road for purposes of natural resource protection, as State Parks did in 1995 when it fenced in Coyote Canyon.

The complaint does not seek monetary damages, but instead asks that the Court direct State Parks to abate the public nuisance by removing the gates, fencing, and other obstructions and thereby reopening the road.

Although the road is located entirely within the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, the underlying jurisdiction over the road rests with the County of Riverside and the County of San Diego. For this reason, both counties have been named as Real Parties in Interest in the litigation.

The case has been assigned to Judge Jacqueline M. Stern, North County Division of the San Diego County Superior Court.

For additional information regarding the lawsuit, please contact David P. Hubbard, counsel for EcoLogic Partners, Inc., Jim Arbogast and Wayne Todd. His telephone number is (760) 432-9917 and his email address is [email protected] .

Last edited by DennisDawg; 12-13-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

Good info. Thanks Dennis!!

Tim
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDawg
EcoLogic Partners, Inc. Land, Conservation, and Public Access
PRESS RELEASE
hot damn, this is just one step closer to being able to drive it all the way throught. I've heard talks about opening it up but nothing like this! Thanks Dennis!

CA4WDC, BRC, and Tread Lightly
SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY AND THE HAMMERS!
WWW.FOJV.ORG
Keep the effort alive! Get involved!

Spotters are for pussys!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 PM

awesome, bout time someone barked loud enough, hopefully it'll result in a full opening that all up again.

2001 Tacoma TRD, & 2000, 1999, 1997 Toyota 4Runners -all are 5spd 4x4 v6 with saw's / ome suspension.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Browns Fan on Dirt!

I wonder if there is a way we can show our support?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDawg
I wonder if there is a way we can show our support?
I'd be up for helpin! I wonder if SDORC, CORVA, CAL4WD is doing anything about this? I'll have to check later this week. I have my last two finals tomorrow...

CA4WDC, BRC, and Tread Lightly
SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY AND THE HAMMERS!
WWW.FOJV.ORG
Keep the effort alive! Get involved!

Spotters are for pussys!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

I think it may be fun to sit in the courtroom for this one. Good article Dennis

I think this is the group responsible for the lawsuit?

http://www.eco.freedom.org/

2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

TLCA #14734
Blue Ribbon Coalition #36400

Calamaridog

Last edited by calamaridog; 12-14-2005 at 12:03 AM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Browns Fan on Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgasa84
I'd be up for helpin! I wonder if SDORC, CORVA, CAL4WD is doing anything about this? I'll have to check later this week. I have my last two finals tomorrow...
Cal4Wheel has it in the latest In Gear and on their we site.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Browns Fan on Dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calamaridog
I think it may be fun to sit in the courtroom for this one. Good article Dennis

I think this is the group responsible for the lawsuit?

http://www.eco.freedom.org/
I do not think so. EcoLogic Partners, Inc. is funded by a group of 5 southern California OHV organizations: Off Road Business Association, San Diego Off Road Coalition, AMA District 37, California Off Road Vehicle Association, and American Sand Association.

Their web site is not ready: http://www.ecobalance.biz/
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member

Got it. The other site still looks interesting.

I hope the trial is on my days off

2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

TLCA #14734
Blue Ribbon Coalition #36400

Calamaridog
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member

Nice post, Dennis.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode