T100 Intercooler? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

T100 Intercooler?

I picked up a 1st gen TRD supercharger that's been modified to hook up to an intercooler. For the life of me I can't figure out where I should put an intercooler on this thing, or which one to buy.

I picked up a CX-Racing air-to-air intercooler that's meant to fit a 5VZ-FE, but there's nowhere to actually mount it on my truck. I think it's actually meant for the tacoma, so back it goes..

As far as I can tell the only way to mount one of these on the truck would be to pull the radiator shroud off, move the radiator and AC radiator back, and cram the thing in in front of them. But that'd put the fan about 1mm away from the serpentine belt.

Anyone know what size intercooler will fit on a 97 T100? And, where the heck to hang it? Pics would be helpful if you got em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 PM

For a TRD supercharger to be intercooled effectively it would have to be after the screw. The GR and UR superchargers have a water-to-air intercooler after the screw. Have any pictures of the modded supercharger?

Justin Morgan,

TLCA #23166

Vice Commander Rising Sun 4x4

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35's, SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust

"RedChili"-1987 4runner Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Sure do. In one you can see it installed on a tacoma, and the other is just a close-up of the unit. You can see where PSE superchargers cut into the housing and installed an outlet after the screw.

Of course I took that picture because i'm pretty sure i'm gonna sell this thing and buy a normal one. Tired of sitting on this because I don't have an intercooler for it. Anyone want it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supercharger.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	30658   Click image for larger version

Name:	supercharger-img.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	30666  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

You might actually want to look around for a heat exchanger to go with it.
Innercooling adds a lot to a forced induction system and air to air innercooling units are the most efficent.
Read a book or two on forced induction and you might not be so anxious to get rid of it and get an unmolested one that will be less efficent, potentially worse for the engine while adding less power and or running on more fuel.

Corky Bell's book is one of the better books I've seen on supercharging. Compared to the price of the hardware and what a bad install can end up costing you, 35 bucks or so is money well spent.
http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-T.../dp/0837601681

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epim View Post
Sure do. In one you can see it installed on a tacoma, and the other is just a close-up of the unit. You can see where PSE superchargers cut into the housing and installed an outlet after the screw.

Of course I took that picture because i'm pretty sure i'm gonna sell this thing and buy a normal one. Tired of sitting on this because I don't have an intercooler for it. Anyone want it?

Whelp, that's the ugliest supercharger I've ever seen. Period. However, Holy crap an intercooler on a TuRD. That's pretty freaking cool. Keep it and once you get it dialed in trust me it'll be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Foster View Post
You might actually want to look around for a heat exchanger to go with it.

Innercooling adds a lot to a forced induction system and air to air innercooling units are the most efficent.

Read a book or two on forced induction and you might not be so anxious to get rid of it and get an unmolested one that will be less efficent, potentially worse for the engine while adding less power and or running on more fuel.

Corky Bell's book is one of the better books I've seen on supercharging. Compared to the price of the hardware and what a bad install can end up costing you, 35 bucks or so is money well spent.

http://www.amazon.com/Supercharged-T.../dp/0837601681

This is great advice. Corky writes a great book on induction. I've been pouring through as I get ready to tune mine.

I think the old Volvo or Saab intercoolers are used by the the 7MGTE swap guys. Maybe look into those.

Justin Morgan,

TLCA #23166

Vice Commander Rising Sun 4x4

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35's, SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust

"RedChili"-1987 4runner Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think you'll have much trouble finding something that will fit. It doesn't necessaryly have to be vertical or in line with the radiator either. You can even mount them at an angle or horizontal with a simple scoop of some sort to direct air flow though them. I think the book also covers those aspects as well.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epim View Post
I picked up a 1st gen TRD supercharger that's been modified to hook up to an intercooler. For the life of me I can't figure out where I should put an intercooler on this thing, or which one to buy.

I picked up a CX-Racing air-to-air intercooler that's meant to fit a 5VZ-FE, but there's nowhere to actually mount it on my truck. I think it's actually meant for the tacoma, so back it goes..

As far as I can tell the only way to mount one of these on the truck would be to pull the radiator shroud off, move the radiator and AC radiator back, and cram the thing in in front of them. But that'd put the fan about 1mm away from the serpentine belt.

Anyone know what size intercooler will fit on a 97 T100? And, where the heck to hang it? Pics would be helpful if you got em.
If you're looking for an extra inch or two, ditch the fan and clutch and go electric. I actually bought an electric fan a while back for my t100 but never got around to installing it yet (been busy with work all spring and summer plus the t100 wasn't running right). Should have it installed soon so you can take a gander - maybe like a week or two. And like the guy above said, you can also get creative with mounting (like at an angle underneath the radiator). Might have to get an electric fan anyway in that scenario. Post some pictures up if you got anything installed though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode