Scuba's '99 Single Cab SAS.. 5 Years in the Making - Page 2 - TTORA Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Probably worse. It's not my daily. I'm sure I'm on borrowed time with 39 reds. No ring and pinion breakages just a t case out put. If I can get a away with more than a year or so I'm fine with it. Wish I would have gone tons to begin with though.

1997 Toyota Tacoma linked SAS,
39s, ARBs, Bobbed, Exo, Full Widths.
1968 Ford F100 big block
03 Cummins 6 speed
09 Acura MDX

Last edited by ROCTAC; 03-16-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCTAC View Post
Probably worse. It's not my daily. I'm sure I'm on borrowed time withe 39 reds. No ring and pinion breakages just a t case out put. If I can get a away with more than a year or so I'm fine with it. Wish I would have gone tons to begin with though.
looks like you've pretty much stripped the extra weight off that thing as well...makes a big difference. My truck weighs just over 5k#
There are a lot of older Yota trucks out there on 40s that get flogged hard...and have little in the way of issues.

how do you like your Spyderlock wheels? so far mine are holding up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #33 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

I had the same issue with my HP 8 and the diamond housing. Kinda panic'd when it happend but I contacted Brian and did some clearancing. So far so good.

Build looks great!!

1997 4runner SC V6 | URD 7th | Stubbs Sliders | SAS | FROR FF Kit

post #34 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
looks like you've pretty much stripped the extra weight off that thing as well...makes a big difference. My truck weighs just over 5k#
There are a lot of older Yota trucks out there on 40s that get flogged hard...and have little in the way of issues.

how do you like your Spyderlock wheels? so far mine are holding up well.
Yea, I'm sitting just shy of 4300 lbs.. Love the spiderlocks, holding up great. Scuba, what are you gonna run for beadlocks? Get rid of that cracked rim!!!!!

1997 Toyota Tacoma linked SAS,
39s, ARBs, Bobbed, Exo, Full Widths.
1968 Ford F100 big block
03 Cummins 6 speed
09 Acura MDX
post #35 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaskurt View Post
I had the same issue with my HP 8 and the diamond housing. Kinda panic'd when it happend but I contacted Brian and did some clearancing. So far so good.

Build looks great!!
I was a little confused at first. However, since I could see what was happening I just went for it. Brian didn't pick up when I called, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCTAC View Post
Yea, I'm sitting just shy of 4300 lbs.. Love the spiderlocks, holding up great. Scuba, what are you gonna run for beadlocks? Get rid of that cracked rim!!!!!
I was around 4200. I'm anxious to see how much it changes when I'm done.

Ugh. I know I need new rims. I'm not sure that I'll go with Beadlocks first off.

99 Single Cab 2.7. Finally SAS'd and sitting on full width Toyota axles.
post #36 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I was a little confused at first. However, since I could see what was happening I just went for it. Brian didn't pick up when I called, anyway.

I was around 4200. I'm anxious to see how much it changes when I'm done.

Ugh. I know I need new rims. I'm not sure that I'll go with Beadlocks first off.
honestly, you only need them for snow

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #37 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

I managed to break Dana 60 parts on a 4k lb truck with 40's and a very tired 22re lol

Trucks gonna be nice when your done!

~ Todd

85 ex. cab 1 tons, coilovers, ect

09 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ a Cummins.....Tow rig
post #38 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Fud View Post
I managed to break Dana 60 parts on a 4k lb truck with 40's and a very tired 22re lol

Yeah, but you have a much heavier foot than I do. Lol.

post #39 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Fud View Post

must be defective parts

Quote:
Quote:
post #40 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
must be defective parts

I would agree....Yukon one the other hand, not so much. Had to fight like hell to get them to honor their warranty.

~ Todd

post #41 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Talked to the guys at Marlin Crawler, they're shipping my missing spindle nut kits out today. No biggie.

Today I ordered the forward swing bronco steering box and a u-joint to connect to it (the one on the TG kit probably won't work).

Also finally ordered the FROR hanger kit.

Should have more parts in the mail after next Monday.

Already on page 2.

post #42 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Great, Summit canceled my order for the steering box because Cardone doesn't have one in stock.
We'll see what I can come up with. Either way, I'm stuck for 3-5 days as summit holds my money.

post #43 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

I've seen on pirate a guy selling steering boxes tapped for hydro for around $150, he rebuilds them. Maybe you should check it out (not really sure who he is haha)

Also, what tires do you plan to run? Unless I missed it...

2000 Taco Ext. Cab 2.7L, SAS D44 3 Link front and Ford 9" Full widths. Never ending cycle...
SAS Gathering
SAS Build Thread
post #44 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 PM

Same guy maybe? $75 bucks for it and says he can port it for hydro assist as well... (I assume he charges a bit more for that on top of the $75)

http://m.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=278731
post #45 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:05 PM

BTW, I really like how you've set out (and written down) your goals on this project and the parts lists.

I've seen some build threads where folks just grab some axle and then start chopping the IFS stuff off and end up finding all sorts of surprises with how much is involved and how many new parts are required and it turns into a giant nightmare for them. There's a guy on TW that's doing a build thread right now and hes dumped over $10k into all sorts of crazy ass parts for his Tacoma SAS using cruiser radius arms and he just figured out hes got different axles than he thought he had....

Anyway, excited to watch this progress.

Last edited by theferg; 03-18-2014 at 11:19 PM.
post #46 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I've seen on pirate a guy selling steering boxes tapped for hydro for around $150, he rebuilds them. Maybe you should check it out (not really sure who he is haha)

Also, what tires do you plan to run? Unless I missed it...
I'm not sure what post or who you're talking about, but I'm using a ford forward swing box. Shouldn't need hydro with it anyway. Scotty from Addicted Offroad put this box on his black 4Runner, Project Intervention, and ran 37's or 39's without issue.

I'll be running these 35's until their done. I will most likely end up on 37" MTR's next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theferg View Post
Same guy maybe? $75 bucks for it and says he can port it for hydro assist as well... (I assume he charges a bit more for that on top of the $75)

http://m.yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=278731
See above re: ford forward swing.
Thanks for the link anyway.

Quote:
BTW, I really like how you've set out (and written down) yours goals on this project and the parts lists.

I've seen some build threads where folks just grab some axle and then start chopping the IFS stuff off and end up finding all sorts of surprises with how much is involved and how many new parts are required and it turns into a giant nightmare for them. There's a guy on TW that's doing a build thread right now and hes dumped over $10k into all sorts of crazy ass parts for his Tacoma SAS using cruiser radius arms and he just figured out hes got different axles than he thought he had....

Anyway, excited to watch this progress.
Thanks. As the thread title states it's been a long process so I've had time to decide/ change my build plan.
And lol, I've gotta see that thread!

post #47 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Obligatory broken IFS pictures.

The IFS has taken me almost EVERYWHERE I've wanted. From Moab, to AZ, the Hammers, to the Rubicon, Windrock ORV, Hidden Falls, etc.. IFS has its purpose. It served me well for the past 5 years. However, it is time to take the truck to the next level.

Stay tuned.
Is that a broken CV? It must have been a PITA to change a CV in the middle of that climb

1999 Reg Cab, 2.7, 5 spd

3-link SAS, d60/14b combo, 40" Nittos, spd Atlas 5.0 gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
Sometimes the one guy at the urinals with the biggest dick, isn't the ONE with the easiest aim. so in other words, don't piss away your performance thinking biggest is best for this situation! cuz it ain't
post #48 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what post or who you're talking about, but I'm using a ford forward swing box.

See above re: ford forward swing.
Thanks for the link anyway.

Thanks. As the thread title states it's been a long process so I've had time to decide/ change my build plan.
And lol, I've gotta see that thread!
Duh. I remember that about the forward swing box... I am planning a SAS with an 80 series box and I had been wondering why you chose the Ford over the Fj60/62 or 80 series box.....?

Also, I just peeped that TW thread again and he's just bought fully built diamond axles...stated he's currently at $29000 in parts for his build.... :what: :screwy:
post #49 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben90 View Post
Is that a broken CV? It must have been a PITA to change a CV in the middle of that climb
Yep. Scary as shit too.

Quote:
Duh. I remember that about the forward swing box... I am planning a SAS with an 80 series box and I had been wondering why you chose the Ford over the Fj60/62 or 80 series box.....?

Also, I just peeped that TW thread again and he's just bought fully built diamond axles...stated he's currently at $29000 in parts for his build.... :what: :screwy:
Purely piston size. Scotty's pictures from the intervention thread are lost, but the FJ80 boxes don't compare in size. The bigger the piston/ internals, the easier the truck will steer with larger tires. No need for extra money for assist. No need for more shit crammed under the truck.

Link. Please. Please. I have got to see this.

I'm estimating under $7500 all together for my swap. Will have a total once I'm done. He could pay someone $30k for a whole swap, with parts.

post #50 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I contacted summit and they ended up putting my box on back order.
If it takes longer than a couple weeks I'll go elsewhere. Probably Napa.

Got my steering shaft kit from TG today. Everything looks good.
Also got the front axle parts from my dad today. The knuckles and spindles need to be taken to the car wash, I might do that tomorrow.

Today I got to borrow a friends press so I could put my Marlin 25 MM pin kit and arms together.

The difference in size vs. stock. These are BEEF!

Special thanks, again, to Tom (Monkeyproof) for these FREE Marlin Crawler arms. Can't thank you enough!

post #51 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Link. Please. Please. I have got to see this.

I'm estimating under $7500 all together for my swap. Will have a total once I'm done. He could pay someone $30k for a whole swap, with parts.
Granted, the dude has bought some really nice stuff... Just pointing out that if you don't make a plan and set some goals and do some research, you can easily end up blowing way too much money and getting all sorts of wrong and/or unnecessary parts.

I just reread his first post and he estimated "$5000-6500" for it built and "done right"... Hopefully it does turn out super sweet, but damn, that is a shit ton of money...and obviously his cost ballooned out super quickly and it looks like a lack of planning and research could be the main reason. IMHO anyway....

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sol...w-my-97-a.html
post #52 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

No idea how he got to $29k.
That's just crazy.

Good luck to him for sure.

post #53 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Granted, the dude has bought some really nice stuff... Just pointing out that if you don't make a plan and set some goals and do some research, you can easily end up blowing way too much money and getting all sorts of wrong and/or unnecessary parts.

I just reread his first post and he estimated "$5000-6500" for it built and "done right"... Hopefully it does turn out super sweet, but damn, that is a shit ton of money...and obviously his cost ballooned out super quickly and it looks like a lack of planning and research could be the main reason. IMHO anyway....

Quote:
That's just crazy.

With that much money he spend, he could have bought a brand new Toyota 4x4 truck!
post #54 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

It's all about what you want....i have less into my pair of semi built one tons tan scuba has into is front diamond. They work for me, the diamond will great for scuba and i'm sure that dudes rig will be perfect for him.

I am going through it now with my ls motor swap....i have bought a lot of high $$ parts that people have criticized me for since "i'm not racing, why do i need them". It comes down to i want it done a certain way so that's how i'm gonna do it lol

~ Todd

post #55 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Got my knuckles and spindles washed up today. Need more cleaning. There's 10 years of caked on grease on the knuckles. I'll probably soak them in something overnight soon.

Got the axles out of the tundra rear. Tried getting the 3rd out but the fipg has it very stuck. Will try again soon.

Got my brake brackets painted. Color matched them to the truck. Didn't feel like buying black paint and I had this stuff laying around.

That's all for today. Really can't do much else with the front axle until its under the truck.

post #56 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
That's just crazy.

More money than brains will do that... I see it a lot in some racing series when money isn't an object to people.

Sucks about the steering box. When do you think you will start ?

Short Bus v5.1
3rz/w59
Sky's housing on leafs and 35's
Caged, Longs, PSC hydro assist, TG trunion bearing eliminators, Detroit front, ARB rear and 4.7 duals

08 Mazdaspeed 3
post #57 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clund21 View Post
More money than brains will do that... I see it a lot in some racing series when money isn't an object to people.

Sucks about the steering box. When do you think you will start ?
I'm HOPING around the beginning of May.

Speaking of the steering box.. I just realized that I originally ordered the wrong steering box through summit (fuck fuck fuck ). Oops. Sent them an email a few mins ago. Hopefully will have my money back soon. However, it appears that no one else has the box I need in stock.
Will make some calls once I have more cash to spend.

post #58 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Went over to the storage unit today to drop off my steering shaft u-joint, my new manual hubs, and a set of free bilstein 12's I got from a friend. Also wanted to get the knuckles, spindles, and these manual hubs soaking in some purple power to get them a bit more clean.

The FROR hanger kit should be shipping this week.
I'll be buying the correct steering box in the next day or two after summit finally refunds my money.
After that, I'll have under $1000 of remaining parts that I need before I can start cutting.
I removed the AP shock hoops from my list. They probably won't work due to the location that my steering box will have to be in. I'll just grab some cheap tube and bend up my own.

Also, considering I found a power steering fluid that will work in both my stock power steering pump as well as the ford box, I won't be needing the PSC pump kit.
I just need to source the proper conversion lines.

Couple crappy pics for proof.

Will update more when I have more parts.

post #59 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Keep it coming Scuba

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #60 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Those 12" look good buddie!!!

94 Yoda, Awaiting superman Heart
81 Yoda, soon to have a 3rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemon55 View Post
Full moon, and Friday the 13th, ya I'm sitting this one out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode